Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Mace ID? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Mace ID?         Reply with quote

MRL has two new maces, called "Italian" and "German". I know the Italian is a 16th c. type. I need help with the German mace. Dürer shows a mace of similar proportions in the far background of a woodcut of 1496-1500. The type looks like a simplification of the fully-formed gothic maces of the last half of the 15th c., which suggests that it may indeed be a transitional German type of ca. 1500. The problem is that I can't find any photos or contemporary depictions of similar maces (simpler, smallish head, thick shaft, long grip, vestigal gaurd)-not in my library, not online. Can anybody confirm that this mace could have at least been used past 1500? Is that a reasonable assumption?

Attachment: 24.28 KB
600624l.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bells are ringing like crazy in my head right now, but I can't quite put my finger on.... it. I'll get back to you ASAP.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've not enough time to put a thoughtful response together, but I'll take this opportunity to post a few things and you can sort through what is of interest to you.

"Gothic" mace, German, circa 1480

Click photo for full-size version

German, circa 1460-1490

German, circa 1520

All from the middle of the 16th century.
Top to bottom: Northern Italian, German (?), German, German (?)

Italian, circa 1500, The Wallace Collection

Likely German, second half of the 15th century

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oakeshott pegs the type as a late-fiftenth-century type on page 66 in his book European Weapons and Armour: From the Renaissance to the Industrial Revolution. On page 100 of the same book he features a photograph of a similar mace which he dates to c. 1460-1490.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, folks! I may be obsessing about minor variations in form in order to stay within my 1500-1650 cage. I have the Oakeshott, which is the best reference I've found on the subject but doesn't show a mace exactly like the one pictured. It does show the wonderful Wallace Collection Gothic mace of ca. 1475, which is the inspiration for the plainer of the two earlier MRL gothic maces. The new German mace seems to be somewhere between that mace and the later forms. Probably many of these overlapped each other. Whatever...I need one.
-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just to throw up a couple more ....

A few mace on display at the Burrell Collection, Glasgow. (sorry, my auto-focus has a mind of its own ;-)

Mac

Photos: T. McDonald, 2005.

Attachment: 41 KB
Burrell maces.jpg

Attachment: 29.34 KB
Burrell maces 2.jpg

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mac! You did it! The mace at far right in the first photo is exactly what I'm looking for. Do you have any other shots that might reveal the text/date on the placard? If not, I can contact the Burrell folks. Many thanks!
-Sean

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fascinating picture Mac thanks for sharing!
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A closer read of Oakeshott and some elementary mathematics revealed that maces of his "M2" type were sometimes over two feet long and over six lbs! Can you imagine how much force you could generate with that length and weight. How many foot-pounds of pressure do you reckon would be concentrated in the tip of one of those flanges at contact? It'd crack your coconut good and proper, no doubt. The MRL German mace, by the way, is listed as two feet long and four pounds, which is about right for the M2 maces of the 16th c. That seemed monstrously long and heavy to me until I took a closer look at Oakeshott. Yikes! So, I think my question is mostly answered. This seems to be either an M2 mace of the early 16th c. or a transitional type of ca. 1500.
-Sean

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The A & A version is stated to be 2.8 pounds which should be fast and not impossibly tiring to use for any period of time.

What you might loose in mass you gain in speed and I wouldn't want to be hit by one no matter how good a helm I had on.

Maybe there is a range between too light or boat anchor heavy.

Hmmmm ..... A & A Flanged mace or War hammer ...... what to buy .... what to buy. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Wed 14 Dec, 2005 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Mac! You did it! The mace at far right in the first photo is exactly what I'm looking for. Do you have any other shots that might reveal the text/date on the placard? If not, I can contact the Burrell folks. Many thanks!

Hi Sean

Unfortuately I did not take any other shots of this mace display, which is in the European Daylight Gallery, as I was supidly (as it turned out) trying to conserve space on my flashcard for behind the scenes stuff !
I did some playing around with the image and was able to read Mace-14th-15th century ...... but I just can't make out the country of origin with any certainty ?
I did shoot a few nice ones in the reserve downstairs, one which seems similar in length, head, etc., but the ID cards only give catalog numbers and that they belong in the Euro Daylight Gallery display ?

I'm sure the Burrell would be happy to give you information on it !

Good luck, Mac
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oakeshott asserts that the gothic maces were smaller and lighter than both earlier and later maces, so the weight of the AA (as well as MRLs other gothic maces) seems right for the type. Those of ca. 1460-1490 seem to be in the 18-20" range, while the later M2 maces of the 16th c. are in the 24-26" range. That's hanger length! I'm thinking that the long grip of some later examples would allow one to "choke up" as needed to manage the weight. I was surprised to learn that the shafts typically were hollow. So, although it looks like the shafts would add a great deal of weight they're actually lighter than they look, pushing the balance out toward the head. I don't know if AA or MRL use hollow or solid shafts, but that could make a significant difference in handling and impact.

When I get mine, I'm going to ditch the all-black look.

-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
I did some playing around with the image and was able to read Mace-14th-15th century ......

Strange...I'd say it's late 15th at the earliest, and I'm almost certain that some of those with it are early 16th c. It's possible they've just got it wrong but I don't know enough to say for sure. I recently visited a museum collection of Scottish basket hilt swords that would have had you howling, Mac. Dates were all over the place and some were obviously wrong. I suspect that what happened in that case is that the museum acquired those weapons many, many decades ago and simply recorded what the original collector told them about the pieces. Maybe I'll get in touch with the Burrell folks in coming weeks. Thanks again for the info!

-Sean

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Mace ID?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic