Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your collection in 2005 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Your collection in 2005         Reply with quote

What changes has your collection gone through in 2005?

What items did you add to your armoury?

What items did you sell?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I added the Tritonia, and have the SoSMT on order. Hopefully that one will be done in the next 2-3 months if things go smoothly.
Next year (2006) will probably see a lot more additions.

Brian M
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I actually didn't add anything in 2005, but I have a big purchase in 2006. Happy
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Your collection in 2005         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

What items did you sell?

I bought an ATrim Northern Italian Bastard Sword, and it's working out great as a single-hander!

This is currently my only sword to date.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I didn't actually recieve much in 2005... my only new swords were an ArmArt S4B that's destined to become a "project" sword once I get some free time and my lovely, lovely Reeve.
As for what I've ordered... well, I've in queue for a few things that'll see at least three years worth of tax returns in Czech hands =)
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well my collection went through a slash, burn and rebuild phase. I sold everything for various reasons in late '04 and early '05. This year I've added only two swords: an Albion Talhoffer and Phoenix Metal Creations Type XIIIa. Hopefully '06 will be better. Albion threatens to bankrupt me with orders placed on the Munich, Meister, and Lichtenauer, and I also have a custom order set with Manning Imperial. Now I just have to find a way to pay for it all.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I didn't add or subtract so much as massively modify.

I have (or should I say had) a Museum Replicas Shrewsbury Sword bought when MRL first started dealing with Windlass Steelcrafts instead of Del Tin. After having it a year or two, the suede leather grip disintegrated and in short order so did the wooden grip. The full width tang was only half the length of the grip with a slightly bent welded rat tail extending the rest of the way, which I think contributed to the problem. Over the years, I have tried different ways fix it, but nothing ever took.

Last weekend, I brought it over to my uncle's house and using his machine shop, we cut that baby in half. The one piece made from the foible section of the original sword is eighteen inches long and the remainder is twenty-two inches long. Concentrating on the eighteen inch section that night, we ground the last five inches of the blade edges down to form a tang, modified two 1/2-inch fender washers to fit the tang as an upper and lower guard, and built a rivet block out of some spare tool steel he had laying around to hold the upper guard in place.

Now, I have the beginnings of a rondel dagger. Time permitting this busy season, I have some filing work to do to flatten the cross section some and a grip to build, and once that is done, I'll take some pictures and post them. Then later, I'll make another dagger out of the forte section.

My purchase will be waiting until early next year when I have enough money saved up: my first Albion! Cool

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine went through some big changes -

I added a couple of armour pieces from Valentine, a breast/backplate set and an Italian sallet. I then sold my custom sword from Jason Dingledine and my A&A French Mace, and bought an A&A Writhen Rapier. I somehow lost my Albion utility knife during the year. I also have a custom A&A glaive that should be finished soon, and I have an A&A German Bastard Sword (pre owned) on the way, purchased from another forumite.

Gordon

Attachment: 98.22 KB
Hilt.JPG

Attachment: 38.5 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 36.25 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 34.26 KB
[ Download ]
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

2005 was a financial disaster, and to top it off I just lost my job. Mad

Added nothing and sold off a few minor items.

I'm determined to fix the money thing and buy a sh*tload of new stuff in 2006. Exclamation
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

2005 was on odd year

Gained a Darkwood Armory side-sword early in the year only to have to sell it off later (reality bites!)
Also added a MRL Type 2 Schiavona that I picked up from E-bay for a steal then proceeded to antique it.

Switched gears a bit with the next two being vintage pieces...

added a P1897 British officers sword / George V
& a model 1902 US Army saber (from ebay @ $26.00!)

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
James Holczer

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as my collection goes, 2005 wasn’t to bad of a year. I add a Vladimir Cervenka schiavona (thanks again Nathan) and a custom Rapier from Darkwood. Both were sweet acquisitions. All in all not a bad year.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Your collection in 2005         Reply with quote

This is "Collection, Version 3.1" - started again late in 2004, picked up a couple of small items, then quickly disposed of most. In Feb, 2005, I made a call to Mike Sigman. It's been "downhill" since then.

What items did you sell?
Nothing of any consequence... a p.o.s. warhammer, gave away a SLO.

A couple of little things... Razz

Production pieces:
Albion Vinland
Albion Knight
Albion Regent
Albion Landgraf
Albion Ritter
Albion Squire
Albion Brescia Spadona
Albion Hersir
Albion Berserkr
Albion Mercenary
Albion Reeve
Albion Munich (on order)
Albion Knecht (on order)
Albion Mair (on order)
Albion Liechtenauer (on order)

A&A French Mace
A&A German Flail
A&A Horseman's Axe
A&A Medieval Knife
A&A Rondel Dagger
A&A Knighty Pole Axe
A&A German Rapier

Lutel Warhammer

Custom pieces:
Eric McHugh Seax
Jesse Frank Seax
Illusion Armoring 16th C harness (actually on order since 11/04, long overdue WTF?! )
Peter Fuller custom German sallet & bevor (in his queue)
Peter Fuller custom German High Gothic fingered gauntlets (in his queue)
Armour and Castings Gothic Harness (nearly complete Eek! )

and finally (but saved the best for last)
Peter Johnsson custom sword and scabbard. (Peter will deliver personally in Sept '06) Snicker-snack! Wink

Personal projects included all armour and soft bits for my Templar kit, scabbards for my Vinland, Squire, Ritter, and (nearly done) Reeve. I also picked up or made some additional clothing items...

All in all, I'd say it's been a pretty decent year for MY armoury. Razz

2006 will show some significant changes. I'll spend a lot more time learning and creating than acquiring. Lots of behind the scenes going on...
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

2005 was a pretty active year for me, probably the last one for a while:

Bought:
Albion Regent (& leather sheath)
Albion Sempach (& campaign scabbard)
Albion Mercenary
Sovereign Scabbard (not from Albion)
MRL Towton
Lewis Moore Gauntlets
A bunch of books

Sold:
Albion Mercenary
MRL Towton
MRL Burgonet
Del Tin 2150

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Your collection in 2005         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
This is "Collection, Version 3.1" - started again late in 2004, picked up a couple of small items, then quickly disposed of most. In Feb, 2005, I made a call to Mike Sigman. It's been "downhill" since then.

What items did you sell?
Nothing of any consequence... a p.o.s. warhammer, gave away a SLO.

A couple of little things... Razz

Production pieces:
Albion Vinland
Albion Knight
Albion Regent
Albion Landgraf
Albion Ritter
Albion Squire
Albion Brescia Spadona
Albion Hersir
Albion Berserkr
Albion Mercenary
Albion Reeve
Albion Munich (on order)
Albion Knecht (on order)
Albion Mair (on order)
Albion Liechtenauer (on order)

A&A French Mace
A&A German Flail
A&A Horseman's Axe
A&A Medieval Knife
A&A Rondel Dagger
A&A Knighty Pole Axe
A&A German Rapier

Lutel Warhammer

Custom pieces:
Eric McHugh Seax
Jesse Frank Seax
Illusion Armoring 16th C harness (actually on order since 11/04, long overdue WTF?! )
Peter Fuller custom German sallet & bevor (in his queue)
Peter Fuller custom German High Gothic fingered gauntlets (in his queue)
Armour and Castings Gothic Harness (nearly complete Eek! )

and finally (but saved the best for last)
Peter Johnsson custom sword and scabbard. (Peter will deliver personally in Sept '06) Snicker-snack! Wink

Personal projects included all armour and soft bits for my Templar kit, scabbards for my Vinland, Squire, Ritter, and (nearly done) Reeve. I also picked up or made some additional clothing items...

All in all, I'd say it's been a pretty decent year for MY armoury. Razz

2006 will show some significant changes. I'll spend a lot more time learning and creating than acquiring. Lots of behind the scenes going on...

LOL I'm not sure if we should give Aaron an award for most prolific purchaser and for single handedly keeping several craftsman in chips and dip by himself or simply beseige his place and demand a ransom in swords. (not that it would do us much good since he has all that hardware...)

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Joseph Minarick

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bought:

A & A Iberian Mace
Albion Warhammer Head
Jody Samson Bounder Broadsword
Tod's Stuff Sling (Yeah, I know it's cheating to buy a sling, but he does such great work...)

Of course now that I am back in country I will be able to better enlarge my collection over the course of '06.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I didn't sell anything

I added:

A custom Tinker stage combat longsword

An Eljay English Baskethilt with ATrim Backsword Blade

An Albion Reeve

A Del Tin DT2175 dagger
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: 2005 was just the beginning...         Reply with quote

My collection really only got started this year. In 2005 I bought an AT1592, a CF/AT 1520, an Albion SL Bastard sword, and a Darkwood "economy" rapier and matching dagger. I talked my husband into buying an Albion SL Great Sword for "himself". Wink

For 2006, I have on order an Albion Maestro Liechtenauer, and an A&A Italian practice sword.

I place the blame for my growing addiction on Bill Grandy for letting me play with steel during my lessons and then putting swords up for sale. Razz I also give credit to Nathan Robinson and the rest of you at myArmoury for teaching me so much about swords and thus encouraging me. It's been fun. Big Grin

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the last year I expanded my focus chronologically, geographically and thematically, pushing back my collection to ca. 1500, encompassing German martial culture and adding armour and polearms. I sold several nice but inexpensive swords that were simply too far outside of my main collecting interests. Combined proceeds from the sale of those items allowed me to add an outstanding on-off piece by E.B. Erickson. My collecting has taken on a more DIY approach as my skills grow. This is partly because this approach is cheaper than buying readymade items, partly because I find the work challenging, fascinating and rewarding and partly because it allows me to add items not available off-the-shelf.

Acquisitions:
MRL "Scottish Burgonet" (reviewd for myArmoury.com)
E.B. Erickson 17th c. English hanger
MRL spear head hafted by myself in the style of a 16th c. Continental boar spear (project documented in forum)
MRL "glaive" head hafted by myself in the style of a 16th c. German Küse (project documented in forum)
An Anglo-Scottish dudgeon dagger in the style of ca. 1600 (DIY project documented in forum)
A German rondel dagger in the style of ca. 1510 (DIY project documented in forum)
MRL German Rapier in the style of 1550 (a rehab project documented in the forum)
A German halberd head in the style of 1500 (awaits hafting in early 2006)
A German mace of ca. 1500 (to be purchased between Christmas and the new year).

Sales:
A reproduction Leech & Rigdon Confederate Staff and Field Officer's sword and sword belt.
MRL "German Falchion"
MRL German "Hanger"

All told, with both acquisitions and sales, including the most expensive piece I've ever bought, I spent an average of approximately $50 per month, or an average of $105 per addition. Without the big purchase the average would be a mere $11 per month or $55 per addition. Sales provided three-fourths of the cash for my big purchase. I bargain-hunt and buy pre-owned pieces. I research. I wait. I "do it myself" whenever possible to save a few bucks. I sell pieces to maintain the balance and size of my collection and fund new purchases. It's all part of the enjoyment.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Wed 14 Dec, 2005 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, some of you have already put me to shame, but 2005 has been a big year for me compared to the previous ones. I finally bought some good swords by adding some Albion offerings to my collection. Specificlly:

Next Gen Crecy
Next Gen Poitiers
Next Gen Squire
Next Gen Landgraf
Squire Line Knightly sword

I also count the improvement of several grips as part of the changes to my collection. Those can be seen here if you are interested.

-Grey

P.S. Early next year will see a Next Gen Agincourt and a Next Gen Sheriff added to my collection, but don't tell Mike Sigman just yet. I need an income tax return first!

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought an Albion Squire Line Bastard Sword and a Next Gen Knight. And Aaron, the amount of stuff you've bought this year is just sick. Think about all the other poor saps who can't afford those things and then end up reading about your latest additions... :-P

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your collection in 2005
Page 1 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: