Ebay Warhammer - Anyone ever seen a grip like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...otohosting

I don't believe that I have ever seen a grip such as this on a period weapon. Has anyone else?
Hey Lloyd, I can't say that I have but I wonder if it was meant to be covered in leather and then have maybe twisted wire run round the sotting. Could also be a later replacement , we had one coem in that way(it actually had Kiwi leather boot lace wrapped around the handle).

Got the pics from the summer by the way. Thanks alot for getting them to me.
That looks to be a kind of mock-braid.
I've seen that very handle on medieval BMX bike handlebars! If original, I have no idea as to the origin.
I canŽt say anything about the authenticity of the axe, but the type of filework you see on the grip is something youŽll find on daggers and also later era C&T swords.
It can be covered in leather, or left plain wood. Sometimes the high spots are adorned with inlayed dots of ivory or stag, or sometimes with studs of metal.
Lloyd, i'll give you a little more of a hands on evaluation after this axe gets here in a week or two.
You know, I've been looking at those warhammer pics and it strikes me....the handle would look much better on a battle axe. :lol:

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: