unknown sword
Yesterday I cleared up my sword stuff on the pc and found an unanswered question, which I had forgotten for sometime.

I scanned this image somewhere in a book, there was no description with it. Does anybody know if this is a fantasy sketch or an historical sword?

Thomas

Attachment: 34.6 KB
unknown_sword.jpg

Type XIIa (I think) blade, two-handed grip, wheel pommel, and straight guard with what looks like a pronged ecusson and a rainguard. No, I don't think it's a fantasy - I've seen historical swords like it, and certainly all the components are historical in design - although I can't recall ever coming across this specific illustration, so I can't really tell what it's supposed to represent (as in, it could be someone's historicaly aware interpretation of Orcrist or the Singing Sword, for all I know).

Last edited by Mikko Kuusirati on Wed 04 Jan, 2006 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
I know this sword, or one very much like it, is published. I've seen it recently in one of my books. Of course, now that it has come up, I can't find it anywhere. I'll take time to look again in the future, as I my first attempt ended in a frustration.
http://www.myArmoury.com/books/item.php?ASIN=0486285618
Arms and Armor : A Pictorial Archive from Nineteenth-Century Sources (Dover Pictorial Archive Series), if you have the book, check the sword on page 21.

Attachment: 81.55 KB
Page 21- Ancient and Medieval Arms and Armor - A Pictorial Archive.jpg

Thaaaanks. :D

Are there any more informations on this sword included?

Thomas
I want to say that this sword , or a very similar one, is in the Metropolitan museum, NY. I will try to find catalogue number and any info associated with it.

Alexi
Yes the sword is in the MET ,at least was in the 1960ies, and is dated to XVth century. No other information is given in the figure I have.

Alexi

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: