Re-finishing an Albion Campaign scabbard
I recently picked up a campaign scabbard for my Albion Mercenary, which is a great sword and I am very happy with it. The scabbard is well made (I would have preferred more width taper than it has, but otherwise well constructed). The problem I have is that I ordered a brown scabbard, and now I don't like the color match with my Magenta handle. I want to re-stain the leather a dark, chocolate antiqued brown, and I purchased some leather antique dark brown dye, but when I tried to apply the stain to the scabbard, it ended up just washing off with water. Now, this is a testament to how well Albion has finished the leather, but I want to figure out some way to strip off the protective coating so that I can then dye the leather a darker color. Is there any way to do this without ruining the leather itself?
Re: Re-finishing an Albion Campaign scabbard
Nicholas Zeman wrote:
Now, this is a testament to how well Albion has finished the leather, but I want to figure out some way to strip off the protective coating so that I can then dye the leather a darker color. Is there any way to do this without ruining the leather itself?

Nicholas,
I can't help you too much, but I'm fairly certain the Campaign Scabbards use a pre-dyed garment grade-type leather. I don't think they're dyed by Albion.
Leave it as it is, you will end up spoiling its value by damage.

rather try to exchange it for a brown one or sell it and buy a new one.

I'm presently tryng to put a liner of my conception in a norman helmet, it is an heck of a work and I'm spending more than I would have spent by purchasing an already lined helmet.

Surely i'm learning but in the meantime I'm wasting time and costly materials, while I'm not sure I will eke out a living by lining helmets. ...
I'll send them an email and ask. I have done several successful sword and scabbard repairs, renovations, and handle work so I am not unfamiliar with leather and woodcraft, however I have not done a lot of leather staining or finishing. I know that there are ways other than leather dye to stain and antique it, certain mild acidic solutions will artificially age leather pretty well, but I wanted a specific look for it . If they tell me that the leather is pretty much set the way it is I will probably strip it off and re-cover it with something I like better, or have it done by someone else.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: