Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Wearing a sword on one's back Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next 
Michael R. Black

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm certainly more comfortable carrying mine over my shoulder in the scabbard Russ made than I would have been walking with such a large bare blade.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
Sean Flynt wrote:
I'm not sure we're seeing scabbards on those large swords depicted by Dürer. Many swords of this size have a leather covering over the ricasso that allows the user to shorten/strengthen the weapon by gripping it there as well as the grip. Viewed in a line drawing, this secondary grip can look like the mouth of a scabbard. Nathan made an excellent point about polearms–i.e., that we don't see scabbards or sheaths on other weapons of this length or longer.

Here's a bigger version of that pic. These swords are definitely sheated.

Thanks for the picture by the way Wolfgang I've saved it for future reference...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: carrying a sword on your back         Reply with quote

The Ayda Kata was usually worn on the back, but the blade is only about 14-16 inches in length. The Scots often carried the big slaymore on their back in a scabbard, when it was to be used the whole thing was taken off and left. If you survived, fine, you could find it, if you didn't, well, you didn't need it. The Ninja often slung the swords on their back while climbing, etc. Other than that its all Hollywood, because it looks neat. Have you ever noticed that they never show the guy drawing the sword? Amrs aren't long enough. How about trying to sit down with a big sword on your back.......I also do a lot of shooting, and I have seen guys trying to shoot two guns and turning them upside down......this isn't bad, I'm sure a few cops are glad they tried that nonsense.
Hank Reinhardt
Chuck Wyatt

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This topic has for the most part discussed western arts, how about Krabi Krabong from Thailand?
The system teaches wielding two dha swords, smaller swords than the western broad sword or long sword.
As far as carrying swords on their backs, I’ve seen it done frequently in Thai historical movies, but nothing historically documented.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. R. Reynolds wrote:

How about this? If you were a foot soldier faced with a long march with no action imminent, taking the belt off your waist and looping it over your shoulder to keep the sword from banging into the guy next to you or getting caught in the wheel of a cart or hitting the legs of a passing horse etc. Could be an explanation for any period art (although I haven't seen any) depicting this.

I think that there is a lot to this. I've seen 16th, 17th and 18th Century illustrations of armies on the march in which various soldiers have removed their waist-belts or baldrics and thrown them over their shoulders to change the load for a while. I suspect that this is where much of the modern concept of "wearing" a sword over the back comes from. It wasn't actually worn there, but just carried there for a short while, and the illustrator thought it looked nifty enough to capture. And some more recent illustrator thought it looked nifty enough to copy.

Of course, this is merely opinion, but I have yet to see an original illustration of anyone actually wearing a sword on his back that I can think of off hand. Mac might know of a Highlander or two, but they aren't exactly mainstream European prototypes.

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: wearing a sword on your back.         Reply with quote

There are two reasons why Hollywood likes to show swords being worn on the back. One, it looks good. I can't say when it got started, most of the old movies when I was growing up had the guys wearing the sword around the waist. I suspect that it might have something to do with the Ninja craze. Since then movies has show it being worn on the back so much that many people think that is the way they were carried. The second reason is that a sword swinging from a belt around the waist can be something of a nuisance unless you're used to it, and most actors aren't. It also swings about and whacks people and can spoil scene shots. Remember that in the movies the Director is the boss. The choreographer may know that its wrong, but the Director rules.
Hank Reinhardt
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As to "historically" carrying a sword on the back, I have no real info from a european standpoint. However I remember reading that certain tribes/groups in the Kris wielding parts of the world wore the Kris on their back for traditional reasons. As I recall, it was not universally practiced and only certain regions practiced carrying them this way. Keep in mind that these were larger Kris but still smaller than most european swords. Hope that helps.

Regards,
Nate C.

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As to swords scabbards on the waist whacking into things or people I think it caused a lot of duels in the 16 th to 18 th centuries when over touchy young hot-headed nobles would go at it after taking a whack by someone's scabbard as a deliberate insult.

A bit the same today when some moron shoots or stabs somebody in a club over some trivial thing taken as a DIS
( Disrespect. )

Stupid young hot-heads then and now are somewhat the same in attitude.

One could almost say that gang culture is a warrior culture without the class and honour ( Little to do with low self estime ! ): In the past a young hot-head might become a warrior, a soldier, mercenary or brigand. The truly antisocial ones mostly got killed due to being too stupid, reckless, dangerous to everybody even their friends and would usually die young.

A "RUDE " young bravo in a warrior culture will either die young or become a leader if he has superior skills and cunning. The uncontrolled psychos with no social skills or smarts will soon be taken care of by better fighters they have annoyed. ( Darwinism at it's best ! )

Back to swords and scabbards: If I remember correctly over long rapiers were frowned upon or made illegal due to all the bumping / whacking was causing too many fights and duels. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Back to swords and scabbards: If I remember correctly over long rapiers were frowned upon or made illegal due to all the bumping / whacking was causing too many fights and duels.

Students of Swetnam would have been in trouble then. Imagine walking around everywhere with a four foot rapier and a two foot dagger...
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Back to swords and scabbards: If I remember correctly over long rapiers were frowned upon or made illegal due to all the bumping / whacking was causing too many fights and duels. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

It was Queen Elizabeth who mandated that anyone entering London could not carry a sword beyond a certain length, else the blade would be cut down to size. I've heard an interesting theory that this may have even been a form of control over foreigners.

I believe the stories of duels caused over long rapiers is exaggerated, though I don't doubt that it happened. But I do think the gang analogy is an apt one, and one I've often thought of as well.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

I believe the stories of duels caused over long rapiers is exaggerated, though I don't doubt that it happened. But I do think the gang analogy is an apt one, and one I've often thought of as well.

As have I. This especially struck me one day in the gym not long after I had finished reading a short book on the ancient Celts. In the book it talked about the way a warrior gained wealth and prestige was to show that he had superior leadership abilities. He did this by sharing the spoils of his victories with his comitatus and by displays of ostentation like the wearing of large amounts of jewelry, torcs, brooches etc.

In the gym BET happened to be on with rap music videos and I was struck by the obvious similarities.

Life is the same except for the shoes...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
John Cooksey wrote:
I may be weird, but I hate having both hands locked up a sword (or a gun).

I'll tell you, two hands aren't "locked" up on having one sword. As an avid longsword fencer, my hands are already doing two different things just in regular techniques, never mind when I have to let go with the off hand for controlling my opponent's arm or any number of other off hand techniques. Having another sword means, even if you're ambidextrous, still means that you lessen the ability of each sword.

Besides, I'd rather have a shield than another sword. MUCH more practical. Happy

(And Addison gave one of the reasons why you don't shoot with a gun in each hand, ambidextrous or no. There's also the fact that your eyes are only so far apart, and you lose much of your ability to aim.)

As for the plausibility of back scabbards, I think Nathan gave the best reason against it: They're awkward. Walking, sitting, running, etc. If you're carrying it against your shoulder (which, incidentally, is more comfortable in the long run then the stress on the shoulder and back created by a back scabbard), you can always put it down if you need to do something else.

W. R. Reynolds wrote:
Has anyone ever done a lot of walking with a sword belted around the waist? Most of the stuff I do is mounted but when I do get off the horse and walk around, the sword can sometimes become a nuisance, at times requiring a hand on the hilt to keep it from hitting things.

I used to think this, until I got a proper, historically accurate belt made for one of my swords. It's amazing how comfortable and easy to wear swords are if the rig is done correctly. Most modern made rigs hold the sword so it pulls on the back and bounces and swings around a lot. That said, yes, they are still a nuissance to walk around with compared to not wearing one at all. Happy

Well, I have to say I do practice with two hands, for some swords.
That's probably 50% of my work, despite the locked up feeling.
But it's not all I do, or can do.
There is something very "flowing" about working with two blades. Don't you work out with rapier and main gauche, Bill?
It's extremely common in the Filipino martial arts (battlesticks, anyone?).

And as far as two guns go, depends on the circumstances. I hunt with a single-action revolver, and shoot two-handed. I'm no Elmer Keith, but I do okay.
I shoot targets with a two-handed (isoceles or modified weaver) grip/stance, but I also shoot single-handed, either hand.
Perhaps it is the Southern horseman in me, but it is also fun to use two revolvers at once, if only as a challenge to oneself.
It was extremely common in the late unpleasantness, and I don't find it invalid.
Of course, during that unpleasantness, there was no such thing as fast reload. :-)
Of course, I am odd, and everyone knows this. My brain is wired strangely, and my eyes process information in really weird ways, especially with peripheral vision.
I am one of the few people I know who shoots handguns better than he/she does rifles.
I can't do for crap with a rifle unless I get to set up for the shot, but I can pop a handgun up fast and nail targets.
I tried playing a short range carbine game, with moving targets, awhile back with a local group. I sucked big time. I asked them to let me play the game (off the books) with a handgun, and results changed . . . .
Weird brain wiring, I tell you. :-)

P.S. I like shields too.

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
Quote:
One for each hand, just like guns.

Try reloading. Big Grin

Or a hi-cap. :-)

It's all game-playing, I tell you.
Black powder revolvers (cap and ball) don't reload quickly, but some are great shooters.
Once you learn those techniques on your first handguns (yes, my first handguns were cap and ball revolvers), they tend to stick with you for modern revolvers and semiautos.
It's all fun. :-)

John Cooksey

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: carrying a sword on your back         Reply with quote

Hank Reinhardt wrote:
The Ayda Kata was usually worn on the back, but the blade is only about 14-16 inches in length. The Scots often carried the big slaymore on their back in a scabbard, when it was to be used the whole thing was taken off and left. If you survived, fine, you could find it, if you didn't, well, you didn't need it. The Ninja often slung the swords on their back while climbing, etc. Other than that its all Hollywood, because it looks neat. Have you ever noticed that they never show the guy drawing the sword? Amrs aren't long enough. How about trying to sit down with a big sword on your back.......I also do a lot of shooting, and I have seen guys trying to shoot two guns and turning them upside down......this isn't bad, I'm sure a few cops are glad they tried that nonsense.

Upside down?
Is that like the "gangsta grip" (sideways)?
I never did get that . . .
It's so very common in film (television and movies) nowadays.
But two guns used to be used quite commonly in the bad old days.
Thinking here of mounted combat in the Late Unpleasantness (war between the States), at least for those units (like Mosby's) that had a surfeit of revolvers, unlike the Western cav.

Edited to add:
Though I did read, the other day, that Chinese soldiers used to use a variant of the sideways grip on their Mauser (C96 variant) machine pistols. At close range, they would fire the weapons from a sideways grip, traversing the weapon horizontally across a mass of men. Dunno how well it would work, but I sure wish I had one of those pistols with which to experiment! :-)

Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John;

With a pistol in each hand one doesn't always fire both together but alternates between each one: With single action revolvers I would guess that as one is recoiling back one shift attention to the other one to aim and shoot.

With two high capacity it could be used with one in each hand if dealing with extreme close quarter fighting against numerous opponents: Mostly movie stuff and great when playing Halo on the X-Box with a needler in one hand and a plasma rifle in the other. O.K. I brought this last thing up because these two handed stuff can be fun and effective in theory, I just have my doubts that in a real fight using two handguns would be better than concentrating on shooting one gun well and staying tactically aware would be more important.

Swords / guns / knives / barehanded the details vary but they all share the same core skills and are all martial arts: The first best weapon is a calm and trained mind.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
John;

With a pistol in each hand one doesn't always fire both together but alternates between each one: With single action revolvers I would guess that as one is recoiling back one shift attention to the other one to aim and shoot.

With two high capacity it could be used with one in each hand if dealing with extreme close quarter fighting against numerous opponents: Mostly movie stuff and great when playing Halo on the X-Box with a needler in one hand and a plasma rifle in the other. O.K. I brought this last thing up because these two handed stuff can be fun and effective in theory, I just have my doubts that in a real fight using two handguns would be better than concentrating on shooting one gun well and staying tactically aware would be more important.

Swords / guns / knives / barehanded the details vary but they all share the same core skills and are all martial arts: The first best weapon is a calm and trained mind.

Yes, sir, you are exactly right.
As one revolver rolls up in the hand, the other is cocked as it is brought back down from recoil. Alternating this way, it is possible to get a full ten good shots off very quickly. 12 if you are shooting Remington Army revolvers. :-)
I agree that a calm and disciplined mind is an asset, but I'd have to say that the willingness to be or acceptance of being "the weapon" is also important.

I just can't quite figure out why some of us are so resistant to the idea of using two weapons.
It's reasonably common historically, and I know some of the members of this board have to be kali or escrima practioners.
Or rapier/main gauche fighters, at least.

Aside from these two examples, I can think of at least two others: Musashi's niten'ichi school of two-sword combat, and medieval period Egyptian Mamluk two-sword styles (well documented in period furusiyya).

Some kshatriya also used a pair of pata, something I would have loved to have seen in action.

Heck, even SASS "Gunfighter" participants use a weapon in each hand.

Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John;

I personally have never been very good at "Two Gunning It" as it were, thus the "Border Shift" (after emptying the first revolver, you toss it in the air while then transfering the second from your left to your right hand for firing. Then the first revolver is supposed to drop nicely into your left hand. Practice this over a bed... Big Grin )

There's a cool old book that I think has been reprinted by Barnes and Noble called "Triggernometry" by Eugene Cunningham, first published in 1940. He was in on the last of the serious gunfighter stuff as a kid (his Brother-in-Law was a Deputy Sheriff in El Paso in the 1890's) so he actually knew and talked to a lot of the less well sung gunmen of the day. Most said that they said that they never saw anyone actually use two guns at once, though they had heard about a few who could. But it mostly died off with the introduction of cartridge revolvers, since it made a rapid reload an possiblility, rather than just a fanciful wish. But with caplocks it was, as you note, done (though not many of the Southern Cavaliers had the means for two-gunning it: revolvers were, despite the mythology, still rather hard to come by. The Missouri Ruffians are another matter, of course!)

There is though a nifty story that I once read about Prince Rupert of the Rhine, Charles I's nephew and Cavalry Commander. After the Restoration, he was merrily walking down the streets of London when he was beset by hoodlums. He drew a brace of turn-off pistols, dispatched the first two with them handily with two quick shots, and then drew his sword. The remainder left with some rapidity. He was the sort who would have done well in any century, I think!

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: wearing a sword on your back.         Reply with quote

Since this seems to have shifted over to two hand fighting, let me make a couple of comments. In any fight its somewhat stupid to use one hand, however fashion has great influence, also convenience plays a role. Why esle woudl they have shifted to small sword when sword and dagger, even small sword and dagger, is better. I think a lot of objection is the type who pride themselves on fighting with two swords, but under strick rules that favor them. Also a lot seem to fail to understand that two rapiers are clumsy, and once you break past the points, the guy is defenceless, which is why the dagger was preferred. Also a shield offers much better protection. Parrying a cut with one sword while cutting with the other is tricky. Not only does it tear up your sword it requires a great deal of skill and finesse. As for shooting with two hands, 've done, but not very well. However I plan on going back to give it another try in the near future. I can throw a tomahawk (used to be heavier axes, but hell, I'm old now) in each hand at two different targets at the same time. The targets are about 4 feet apart. I can hit it about 3 out of five right now, and when it warms up I think I can improve on it. Plan on putting it on my website when its up and running, anything to impress the yokels.Of course these throws are at one turn, and this summer am going to try for two.Actually, when I learned how and what to do, it was rather simple. Cheers, Hank
Hank Reinhardt
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
John;

I personally have never been very good at "Two Gunning It" as it were, thus the "Border Shift" (after emptying the first revolver, you toss it in the air while then transfering the second from your left to your right hand for firing. Then the first revolver is supposed to drop nicely into your left hand. Practice this over a bed... Big Grin )

There's a cool old book that I think has been reprinted by Barnes and Noble called "Triggernometry" by Eugene Cunningham, first published in 1940. He was in on the last of the serious gunfighter stuff as a kid (his Brother-in-Law was a Deputy Sheriff in El Paso in the 1890's) so he actually knew and talked to a lot of the less well sung gunmen of the day. Most said that they said that they never saw anyone actually use two guns at once, though they had heard about a few who could. But it mostly died off with the introduction of cartridge revolvers, since it made a rapid reload an possiblility, rather than just a fanciful wish. But with caplocks it was, as you note, done (though not many of the Southern Cavaliers had the means for two-gunning it: revolvers were, despite the mythology, still rather hard to come by. The Missouri Ruffians are another matter, of course!)

There is though a nifty story that I once read about Prince Rupert of the Rhine, Charles I's nephew and Cavalry Commander. After the Restoration, he was merrily walking down the streets of London when he was beset by hoodlums. He drew a brace of turn-off pistols, dispatched the first two with them handily with two quick shots, and then drew his sword. The remainder left with some rapidity. He was the sort who would have done well in any century, I think!

Cheers!

Gordon

Rupert sounds like quite the character!
He'd have "done" in about any era, I imagine.

Yes, a lot of the southern cavalry wasn't exactly rich in arms. In the Western area, more actually had carbines than revolvers, and if they did have a revolver, it was just the one.
For raiders, though, like the Ruffians or the Partisan Rangers, multiple revolvers were ideal, and much more common.

Amongst the real "bad men" of the 19th century, most did shoot one revolver at a time, even if they carried two.
Hickok being the exception rather than the rule. [grin]

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Cooksey wrote:

I just can't quite figure out why some of us are so resistant to the idea of using two weapons.
It's reasonably common historically, and I know some of the members of this board have to be kali or escrima practioners.
Or rapier/main gauche fighters, at least.

John,
You should check out this parellel thread here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=5796

I personally have no problems with the idea of using two weapons. I consider a shield to be a weapon. And yes, I do fence with rapier and dagger. What I've actually said was that the use of two swords isn't very practical outside of a duelling setting.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Wearing a sword on one's back
Page 3 of 10 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: