Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Wearing a sword on one's back Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next 
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
John Cooksey wrote:

I just can't quite figure out why some of us are so resistant to the idea of using two weapons.
It's reasonably common historically, and I know some of the members of this board have to be kali or escrima practioners.
Or rapier/main gauche fighters, at least.

John,
You should check out this parellel thread here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=5796

I personally have no problems with the idea of using two weapons. I consider a shield to be a weapon. And yes, I do fence with rapier and dagger. What I've actually said was that the use of two swords isn't very practical outside of a duelling setting.

I agree with you.
A shield is a weapon, and one that I train with and would prefer to have in battle.
They just were not always common or available in some cultural/historical contexts.

That is a good thread, BTW.
Read it a while back.

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
Mac might know of a Highlander or two,

It's doubtful. There can be only one.

*ducks* Don't kill me! Razz

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
Gordon Frye wrote:
Mac might know of a Highlander or two,

It's doubtful. There can be only one.

*ducks* Don't kill me! Razz

Here we are, born to be kings . . . . We're the Princes of the Internet . . . . .

[drops to avoid the inevitable hail of miscellaneous missiles]

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Mark Eskra

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: In battle         Reply with quote

well, most tiems a person would draw their sword in advance of the engagement...elaving scabbard behind to eb retrieved. Ever tried walking about for a while with a sword on your leg? gets blasted heavy.
Mark Eskra

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: pardon spelling         Reply with quote

pardon spellings
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Weapons worn on the back         Reply with quote

I just have to comment about there can be only one......Since I didn't make the comment I can only say that I would be ashamed to have made it....and if you believe that I have a magic sword for sale....But done thing really bothered me about Highland and all of his ilk. They had to be monumentally stupid. Not a single one wore a mail collar....Hank
Hank Reinhardt
Peter Morwood

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's my tuppenceworth on the difference between "wearing" and "carrying" a sword across the back.

This quote comes from Growing up in 13th Century England by Alfred Duggan. Granted it's a kid's book, or at least YA, but you can read a bit more about him here and draw your own conclusions about his accuracy, allowing for subsequent research; I just wish this little book had a bibliography or footnotes, but he confesses in his own introduction that "For forty years I have been reading about the Middle Ages, and I cannot now acknowledge the sources for everything I have said." Even so, what he suggests here makes (to me, anyway) a great deal of sense.

(Sir William is making a formal appearance at the shire court; work prevents his head groom from being his usual attendant and horse-holder, so his eldest son fills in...)

Quote:
Sir William is at a loss. A respectable knight cannot ride unattended,as though he were a vagabond; and when he gets to court he cannot simply leave his horse tied to a tree. He decides to take Ralph with him. The boy is fourteen, old enough to act as a squire. His manners are adequate for any company, and it is time he began to learn the duties which will fall on him when his father is dead.

Delighted by the unexpected change in routine, Ralph changes into riding boots...

Best of all, he is to carry his father's sword. He comes down from the tower with the long leather scabbard hanging diagonally across his back, the hilt appearing behind his left shoulder. This proves that the sword is carried as luggage, not his personal weapon; the neighbours might grumble if a young boy went about wearing the sword of a knight. When Sir Willliam dismounts at the end of his ride he will buckle the sword-belt around his waist. His gilded spurs display his rank, but when acting officially in his capacity as knight he ought to have a sword about him.

(My italics.)

Once again, I'd love to know his source for this, since it's the only description I can recall from far too many books of a Medieval European sword being back-slung for any reason at all. But at least this reason has a social function beyond just "looking cool".

"I care little for your Cause; I fight not for your Crown, but for your half-crown, and your handsome women!" - Capt. Carlo Fantom (from Aubrey's "Brief Lives")
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't understand the ill references to two weapon fighting. I may have miss read it as only against twin large weapons, but it seems to me that rapier combat has a fancy for a left hander.... not to mention Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu. I have seen the whole block with one while simultaneously striking with the other work wonders. I would imagine with the proper training one would transfer the skill into various weapons: Kama, sai, druss, bill hooks... ok, that last ones a joke, but the idea is sound. However, back carry, dual pistols, wearing the scabbard into a battle, or other nonsense is beyond my interest in this thread.

Last thought as I type, I have a friend that is over 6" who I could easily imagine wielding two fairly large swords competently, so I just can't rule that out either. Though, of course, I have never seen him try it for 30 minutes straight. Wink Oh, and medium sized shield ftw thank you very much Wink

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Kyro R. Lantsberger

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jul, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: rambling thread         Reply with quote

This is an interesting thread for the amount of territory it covers, and I have some thoughts to add.

In regards to the back slinging, quickness of employment into a bout isnt a factor as to if this was ever done. We are talking about a campaign carry. There are a few questions which need to be answered and items which could be looked up in reference materials..........and even an experiment we could try.

I understand that we are talking about numerous nations over a great period of time with this question. But how long did the typical medieval/renaissance army spend out on campaign, how far would they move from their base city, and how far would they move per day. Coupled with this, we need to know how they carried supplies as individuals and units.

If we could find out what a certain unit carried, and what pace they moved at, it would not be a bad experiment to put on the same load and "see what happens." If one ends up slinging the scabbard over the shoulder in order to increase the pace over the road, I would bet the same thing happened historically.

There is also an aspect of maintainance - what was the "field cleaning" of arms in Med/Renn times, esp. crusades. Ive been to the desert, and if you just look at a weapon wrong, you have to clean it.

Compare to modern firearms........concealed carry holsters are made for rapid access and immediate presentation to target, but in the military examples..........they put a sling on the damn thing for a reason, you know.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jul, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
If we could find out what a certain unit carried, and what pace they moved at, it would not be a bad experiment to put on the same load and "see what happens." If one ends up slinging the scabbard over the shoulder in order to increase the pace over the road, I would bet the same thing happened historically.

Kyro,

You're idea is ostensibly a good one, but I don't think it actually makes sense. The reason I say that is that there is no particular advantage gained to carrying a sword on one's back than carrying it one of the other ways. If you need to have the sword on your person, you obviously want it on your hip in case you need to draw it. But, if this isn't a concern, you could simply put it on your destrier or on your packhorse and save yourself the effort of carrying it. Or, your sword could also be packed along as part of the baggage train. The problem with having a sword on your back is that you cannot draw it quickly, which is one of the principle reasons to carry it on your person, and obviously carrying it on your back is not as light as letting somone or something else carry it.
Kyro R. Lantsberger

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:

The reason I say that is that there is no particular advantage gained to carrying a sword on one's back than carrying it one of the other ways. If you need to have the sword on your person, you obviously want it on your hip in case you need to draw it. The problem with having a sword on your back is that you cannot draw it quickly, which is one of the principle reasons to carry it on your person, and obviously carrying it on your back is not as light as letting somone or something else carry it.

Actually, these are the points that I would say are not obvious and up for dispute. Im not saying people would walk around like Conan or Nameless from Hero and do Iaido type maneuvers from over the back. Military history is a larger venue than just weapons and tactics. In fact, I dont think it would be out of the question to assume that bladed weapons are used for only seconds, minutes, or hours out of their entire lifespans. The rest of the time it needs to be maintained and moved to wherever it is needed.

This question here about shoulder slinging, depends on the equipment and organization of infantry units during med/renn time. Im not sure if Ive conveyed what that really entails. Take the Landsknecht unit we see in the Durer print as an example. They seem to march with the zweihander at port arms. Would they do this for days on end? Was each man's sword "his," or would the units meet at a rally point a few hours away from the enemy force, issue weapons, and then march to the field and begin maneuvering?

What was morale like among soldiers during these time periods? Would leadership wait to issue weapons until immediately prior to battle, so that the arms wouldnt be rusted or lost by the time battle ensued?

These are a number of questions which need to be answered for each army in each nation in each time period considered by enthusiasts. The Crusades are of particular interest to me in this regard. For that many people to move that far with the technology they had, some decisions would have needed to be made about how to carry and maintain weapons and equipment, and I am very curious about the practicalities of that.

I actually think it more likely that if sling carry was historical, it would have more likely been seen as the scabbard strapped to the side of a man-pack/rucksack than hefted Conan style. Many contemporary military units operating in jungle environment carry machetes that way.
David Martin

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's my attempt at a backscabbard design. Comments are welcome. Wink

Attachment: 65.54 KB
[ Download ]

"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I remember a book by rick shelly called "Varayan Memoirs", and the hero had a two handed sword on his back held there by a spring loaded "c" clamp-like thing. Eventually he ended up having two of these 6' monstrosities on his back (how I don't know), but the reference to a clamp being the only aspect that catches the blade makes more sense than a whole scabbard to me. A diagonal strap (Baldrick style) secured at the waist with two "L" hooks to rest the sword on might be logical, but I assure you, your calfs will dislike being impaled...
The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Allen W

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kyro, its been many years since I've read the origininal Landeschnekt book from Osprey's Man-At-Arms series and don't really know upon what sources they relied but I recall it stating that Landeschnekts were required to provide their own arms and this seems in keeping with the scourge unemployed mercenaries were viewed as being in the 15th cent. However, large orders for infantry armours throughout the 16th cent. imply that armour, replacement arms or augmentations were provided by employers.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that if back scabbards of any kind were common, we would be aware of extant examples and inconographic eveidence of them. Especially since this is a topic that periodically gets beaten to death in one forum or another.

The simple fact is, that in quite a few discussions over quite a few years, I do not recall seeing a historical example of a back scabbard. I freely admit that my frame of reference is limited by my experience in this, but when we start aggregating the experience of other collectors and practicioners in these debates and still come up with no examples, I think it begins to become increasingly safe to assume that back scabbards were rarely if ever used to carry swords in Europe.

Still there seems to be a constant trickle of folks who insist that back carry must have been used. They always say people do it today. It just makes sense for load balancing. There is nothing specifically saying it was not used. Modern militaries use similar carry methods so ancient militaries must have. It was something so common that nobody bothered to document it. I don't like carrying a sword on my hip. Its always the same things. Opinions, not verifiable references.

In the end if you think back carry was used in the west, if you are passionate about it, and if you really want to prove your point, you will have to find some kind of archeological evidence to support your position. Arguing for European back carry without supporting historical evidence is just an exercise in the creation of more hot air.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A regular sword belt slung across the shoulders when just transporting it when travelling could be considered, in a limited way, as a temporary back scabbard but is different in intent from a dedicate back scabbard meant to be drawn from quickly.

Looks cool, but with anything longer than a Gladius length blade not very practical unless one has arms long enough to have one's knuckles dragging on the ground. Wink Laughing Out Loud

As far as history is concerned there is little or no evidence of it being a common practice: At least as far as I can tell as I have never seen a period picture of it. ( At least I can't remember seeing one now. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
A regular sword belt slung across the shoulders when just transporting it when travelling could be considered, in a limited way, as a temporary back scabbard but is different in intent from a dedicate back scabbard meant to be drawn from quickly.

Jean,

I very politely disagree with this part of your post. I think it should only be considered a regular sword belt slung across the shoulders. Pounding a few nails with a screwdriver because it is the tool we have, does not make the screwdriver a hammer. Wink

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Jean,

I very politely disagree with this part of your post. I think it should only be considered a regular sword belt slung across the shoulders. Pounding a few nails with a screwdriver because it is the tool we have, does not make the screwdriver a hammer. Wink

I don't think we are in any strong disagreement as I did add " In a limited way ". Wink Basically meaning that if one absolutely has to find some example of back carry this could be called this, and hammering with a screw driver is still hammering. Razz

The intent in any case is not a ready to use form of carry. Oh, and I will confess to splitting hairs here just for the fun of it instead of just saying OOOPS I was wrong ....... Razz Cool Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
The intent in any case is not a ready to use form of carry. Oh, and I will confess to splitting hairs here just for the fun of it instead of just saying OOOPS I was wrong ....... Razz Cool Laughing Out Loud

Fun is the important thing with all of this. Cool

Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This may have already been mentioned, but if I had a sword that was too long or cumbersome to carry on my hip, I might just hold it in my hand -- make it double as steel-bladed walking stick. Exclamation Or just toss it in the baggage train with everyone else's stuff if I'm with a large of people group like, say, an army.

In point of fact, if I'm carrying/wielding a weapon of such length (say 55" or longer), I'd rather it be a halberd, a bill, or a quarterstaff; something of that sort. Happy

Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Wearing a sword on one's back
Page 4 of 10 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: