Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Suspension historical accuracy Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joe Fisher

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Suspension historical accuracy         Reply with quote

Greetings, all. I recently made a scabbard for my sword, and even more recently a suspension for it. I followed some pictures I found online to design the suspension, and I was wondering if any of y'all could tell me if it's close to a historical design, and if so, what period.

Front:

Back:

Total (excuse the forge work on the buckle. It was my first time trying something like that Blush )

Thanks much!

-Joe

I am an outcast, on the path of no return.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension historical accuracy         Reply with quote

Joe Fisher wrote:
Greetings, all. I recently made a scabbard for my sword, and even more recently a suspension for it. I followed some pictures I found online to design the suspension, and I was wondering if any of y'all could tell me if it's close to a historical design, and if so, what period.

Joe,
It bears some resemblance to suspensions popular in the 13th and early 14th centuries (maybe earlier), apart from the rivets (the parts were typically laced together, not riveted). Typically, scabbards were covered with leather or fabric, too, through which the belt was often laced.

You can search for pics of scabbad suspensions on this site; you'll find a few threads with drawings and pictures in the forums and probably some in the photo albums and collection galleries.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe-

Here's a pic of the scabbard I did for my Albion Next Gen Ritter:

Here's one from a Peter Johnsson scabbard, owned by Patrick Kelly:

Chad made some good on-target comments... generally covered with the belt integrated by way of lacing through the covering, and bound somehow rather than riveted, whether it was stitched like I did, interwoven without stitching, or lacing a third stringer off of the top suspension through slits in this belt's bit.

As for the buckle... it's not bad... darned sure a lot better than a shiny chrome modern one!

-A
Joe Fisher

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension historical accuracy         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
It bears some resemblance to suspensions popular in the 13th and early 14th centuries (maybe earlier), apart from the rivets (the parts were typically laced together, not riveted). Typically, scabbards were covered with leather or fabric, too, through which the belt was often laced.

Great! The riveting was due mostly to a lack of time; the instructions I found do suggest lacing. Having never done a scabbard or worked with leather, I thought it safest to go with bare wood for my first try Wink

Thanks for the info,

-Joe

Joe Fisher

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great pictures! Other than the leather cover on the scabbard, mine looks an awful lot like those. I'm looking forward to building version 2. While we're on the scabbard subject, I've read that shearling wool was generally used inside European scabbards. Is this generally accepted? Mine has felt inside, and is a fairly tight fit.

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
As for the buckle... it's not bad... darned sure a lot better than a shiny chrome modern one!

Thanks, that was exactly my feeling. I didn't have a lot of time to put it together, but I was damn sure I wasn't going to put a modern buckle on!

-Joe

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fisher wrote:
Great pictures! Other than the leather cover on the scabbard, mine looks an awful lot like those. I'm looking forward to building version 2. While we're on the scabbard subject, I've read that shearling wool was generally used inside European scabbards. Is this generally accepted? Mine has felt inside, and is a fairly tight fit.

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

Thanks, that was exactly my feeling. I didn't have a lot of time to put it together, but I was damn sure I wasn't going to put a modern buckle on!

-Joe

It's my understanding that felt was also used in period although with the modern stuff I've had some problems with color bleed on to the sword blades.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fisher wrote:
Great pictures! Other than the leather cover on the scabbard, mine looks an awful lot like those.

Thanks. Can't take credit for Patrick's pic, though... Leather cover and chape, yes. Good effort, actually!

Joe Fisher wrote:
I'm looking forward to building version 2.

Careful... it's addictive. Wink

Joe Fisher wrote:
While we're on the scabbard subject, I've read that shearling wool was generally used inside European scabbards. Is this generally accepted? Mine has felt inside, and is a fairly tight fit.

Very, very few survive. Most of what we have to go by anymore is period art, such as in paintings, the Bayeux Tapestry, effigies, etc. Those don't show the inside... There are some references and some surviving examples that do, but there are some that don't. Mine are unlined.
Joe Fisher

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
It's my understanding that felt was also used in period although with the modern stuff I've had some problems with color bleed on to the sword blades.

I had read this, and like a fool I still used brown felt. WTF?! *sigh* It only stained the edge a bit. I'm sure it'll buff out if I decide to.

-Joe

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Thanks. Can't take credit for Patrick's pic, though...

That's one of my photos I took while at Albion.

Regarding the scabbard, like the others have said, it's important to note that that style of suspension is integral to the scabbard.. they are made as one final piece, not separate.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Joe Fisher

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Leather cover and chape, yes. Good effort, actually!

Thanks Blush Could you suggest reading I could do about period scabbards? This one was more for the experience than the authenticity.

Thanks!

-Joe

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fisher wrote:
Could you suggest reading I could do about period scabbards? This one was more for the experience than the authenticity.

There is a whole lot of discussion right here on this site. Use the search feature and favorites to find them.

Here is one topic, in particular, that might interest you: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4951

It features a very detailed illustration by Peter Johnsson, one of the finest scabbard makers I've come across.

Cheers!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fisher wrote:
Thanks Blush Could you suggest reading I could do about period scabbards? This one was more for the experience than the authenticity.

You're welcome. Keep at it.
In regards to a book on them, I wish... most of my information comes from looking at effigies or artwork. Knives and Scabbards is a book on excavation finds in London, but has little to no info on sword scabbards... not bad for knives, though.

www.gothiceye.com has a bunch of effigies. Period artwork is in countless books, too, both at the library/bookstore, or online. Ask Jeeves... he'll help you out.

The rest of my info is from private discussions I've had.

Nathan's right, too... there's quite a bit here... just use the search feature and sift through.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Suspension historical accuracy
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic