Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Review: Albion Armorers Next Generation SempachProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Review: Albion Armorers Next Generation Sempach         Reply with quote

Today when I came home I picked up the delivery notice on the counter and went down the local courier office, where my white box from Albion was waiting. After a long walk home, I was able to open the box and see, for the first time, my new Sempach. I wrote an informal review of my Sempach, and I thought I'd share it here. I think the Sempach is an under appreciated weapon, and I hope my review might inspire others to take interest in this sword, just as reading other's reviews has inspired me to take interest in certain swords. I did not discuss fit and finishing in this review because it's consistent with the other reviews of Next Generation swords here at myArmoury.

My first impression was that the Sempach is a beautiful long sword that is agile and well suited for Liechtenauer's system. The sword blade near the tip is, for lack of a better word, quite oval in its cross section, (that was my first immediate impression without considering the issue; it's actually more hexagonal in shape), a fact that was quite striking when compared with my Knight and Late 15th Century Bastard Sword. One thing I noticed was that the edge of the Sempach doesn't feel quite as sharp as the Knight, although on closer inspection, it is obviously just as sharp as it's high medieval cousin, yet it feels different at the same time. Perhaps this difference in perception is due to the fact that the Knight is primarily a cutting sword with a flatter blade, whereas the Sempach is a dedicated thruster with a more hexagonal cross section?

As part of handling the sword, it was only natural to compare it to my Squire line Bastard sword. To my surprise, when I handled the bastard, it felt somewhat more agile in my hands compared to my Sempach, despite the fact that the Bastard is wider at the "ricasso" (2.5 inches wide to be precise). Yet upon handling them again, it seemed that the two swords seemed very similar in terms of agility and ease of handling, and yet there was a subtle difference between the two. It took me quite a while before I could articulate that difference in words.

The Bastard's blade is very flat cross-sectionally, in contrast with the more oval blade of the Sempach, and I think this makes a bit of aerodynamic difference in the handling when delivering a cut. Also, you can feel that the Sempach is a heavier sword than the Bastard. Part of this difference in weight is that it feels as though there's just a little bit more mass at the tip of the Sempach, which makes for a subtle difference when cutting with the sword. Because of having a little extra mass, the Sempach has more blade presence, feeling just a bit more solid on a cut that the Bastard did in my opinion. Though it does weigh more and feels less aerodynamic, the Sempach feels very agile when cutting, yet the Bastard seems to travel through the air in a cut with more ease. However, the oval cross section of the Sempach gives the point far more stiffness than the bastard, which means it is better suited to dealing with harnischfechten than the Bastard, who's point I could more easily wiggle with my hand. Also, the more rounded point of the Sempach, (pretending, for the moment, that the Bastard is a typical sharp XVa), leads me to suspect that the Sempach is less likely to have its tip warp out of shape when contending with armour than the Bastard.

Both the scent-stopper pommel on the bastard sword and the Sempach's flatter type T2 pommel are very nice for your left hand when gripping the sword. When grasping the pommel entirely with the left hand, the Sempach's flatter pommel is slightly preferable to the more curvaceous scent stopper on the bastard. This is because the place where the side facets of the scent stopper and where the top meet forms a metallic seam and this is a bit less comfortable to grip in my opinion. However, I think this matter is entirely based upon personal taste, and the reader needs to compare and contrast the two types of pommel in order to decide which type they prefer.

I grabbed a cardboard box and folded down the flaps to make it a thicker cutting target. The Sempach cuts quite well, putting a three inch deep angular gash in the box when I struck a right to left oberhau. I also compared the Sempach's ability to thrust with the Bastard, keeping in mind that the latter had a far more rounded and thick point than a sharpened XVa would have. Both swords penetrated the box well, but not surprisingly, the tip of the Sempach has virtually no wobble upon entry, whereas the more flexible blade of the Bastard wobbled more when penetrating.

The description of the Sempach on Albion's webpage sums up very well how the weapon feels:

"This was a period when armor was at its heaviest and most massive, thus swords had to be made that were both robust and powerful. The thrust might have been the most effective attack when using a sword against a heavily armored foe and so the point is always strong on these weapons."

There certainly is a robustness to this sword that is belied by its appearance, and the tip is very strong on the Sempach and very well suited to the thrust, even though the point is less acute than a Type XVa blade like the bastard. Overall, I'm very happy with my Sempach, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes long swords.

Last edited by Craig Peters on Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A footnote to my review: It must be stressed that the Sempach feeling less aerodynamic and a bit heavier applies specifically to the comparison with the Squire Line Bastard Sword. It would be a mistake, however, to think that this sword is not agile in handling at cutting. The difference in how these two blades is subtle, and to be honest, the difference between them in terms of how they feel when striking is neglible. That having been said, the review is still useful, because it allowed me to comment upon how the two blades felt in comparison to one another, rather than just saying that the Sempach feels "agile" and "good" when striking.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Craig!

Thank you for your comments. I always like reading customer resctions to these designs.

Just one comment: what you describe as an aerodynamic diference between the two swords is, I think rather an effect of different blade length and mostly different mass distribution. The effect of mass distribution and inertia is of paramount importance in sword design. This is the major aspect you work with to achieve different characteristics in handling.

The Squire Line Bastard is a little shorter in the blade and as a much different distributio of mass in the blade. The point is slimmer and the base has much more mass in proportion. The Sempach has more mass in the point compared to its base. As this effect pepends on distance, a small difference in length will make for a big differnce in handling.
The added mass and length in the sempach will help in reach and sturdiness when thrusting, but will also, just like you saaid; add power in the cut. In cutting, speed is more important than mass, but mass does also play a role especially in structural integrity. when it comes to withstanding harsh targets, I should think the Sempach is better equipped than the shorter XVa.

Again, thanks for your thoughtfull comments!
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Hello Craig!

Thank you for your comments. I always like reading customer resctions to these designs.

Just one comment: what you describe as an aerodynamic diference between the two swords is, I think rather an effect of different blade length and mostly different mass distribution. The effect of mass distribution and inertia is of paramount importance in sword design. This is the major aspect you work with to achieve different characteristics in handling.

The Squire Line Bastard is a little shorter in the blade and as a much different distributio of mass in the blade. The point is slimmer and the base has much more mass in proportion. The Sempach has more mass in the point compared to its base. As this effect pepends on distance, a small difference in length will make for a big differnce in handling.
The added mass and length in the sempach will help in reach and sturdiness when thrusting, but will also, just like you saaid; add power in the cut. In cutting, speed is more important than mass, but mass does also play a role especially in structural integrity. when it comes to withstanding harsh targets, I should think the Sempach is better equipped than the shorter XVa.

Again, thanks for your thoughtfull comments!

Peter,

I defer to your expertise. I was aware that mass distribution can greatly affect how a sword handles, but for whatever reason, it did not come to mind when I was composing this review. The one thing on the subject of mass distribution that I did get right was the extra mass at the point, which you can feel, and certainly there is a suprising robustness and blade presence in the Sempach that wasn't necessarily evident from the photos.

Thanks for your imput. I'm honoured to have you as the first person to respond to my review!
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My favorite weapon or sword of all is definitely the longsword or bastard sword, and this Sempach is a real beauty for sure, there is nothing not to like about this sword. I have the Arms & Armor German Bastard Sword, English Longsword and the Durer Bastard Sword is being shipped to me today and the Sempach would look beautiful sitting amongst them!

Bob
Shane Smith

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My fiance owns a sempach. It is a very good handler and the lines are visually very striking. I like the sword very much but would favor more blade length in most all Albion models(39"ish would be nice). The Sempach is a fine sword in my opinion as a practitioner. I think it more useful in the Italian tradition myself. I like more mass out front for setting aside cuts in the Ringeck/German tradition. Idea
Shane Smith
ARMA~ Virginia Beach
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig,
I'm glad you like your Sempach. I love mine. I agree that it's under-rated, especially given how popular the sword form must have been judging by the number of surviving examples.

I was surprised, though, that you used the term oval for the blade (though you did call it hexagonal as well). For me, "oval" implies round-ness. "Hexagonal" implies planes and angles.

For instance, if hear a blade has an oval cross-section, I typically think lenticular (top left):

Hexagonal (top right) seems to be something else entirely, but we could be using the terms differently. Happy

The Sempach surprised me in cutting. Against pool noodles, it kept up with the Regent, slaughtering them easily. Against pumpkins, though, its cross-section made it much less effective as a cutter. It would get half-way through a big pumpkin and stop, where the Regent and Baron went right through. I think the feelings about edge sharpness could come from the cross-section's severe angle between the flats and edge.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane Smith wrote:
My fiance owns a sempach. It is a very good handler and the lines are visually very striking. I like the sword very much but would favor more blade length in most all Albion models(39"ish would be nice). The Sempach is a fine sword in my opinion as a practitioner. I think it more useful in the Italian tradition myself. I like more mass out front for setting aside cuts in the Ringeck/German tradition. Idea

Personally, I always find it interesting when modern folks want to alter historical swords' designs. I'm inclined to trust people (our ancestors) who trusted their lives to the swords they used. I think our pragmatic ancestors would have used what they found to be most effective.

In the case of the Sempach, its 33.6 inch blade seems to be fairly average for the design. The four listed in Records of the Medieval Swords have blade lengths (in inches) of: 36, 30, 31 1/2, 33. I think a blade length as long as you suggest would be out of character for the type and would make it something it wasn't intended to be. It should be noted, though, that my requirements for a sword tend toward historical specs, where yours are based on different (yet no more or less valid) needs.

Happy

ChadA

Shane Smith

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

MY desire for longer bladed swords is not ahistorical by any means although the context in which my statement was made is not as I intended. I like long blades in particular and have personally handled many original period longbladed warswords. I would love for Albion to choose one of those to replicate along with the short and stubbies(comparatively) that they currently make as a rule. Our ancestors defintiely saw the use of long-bladed longswords along with the shorter blades you mention.Then as now, men were individuals with differing needs.Make more sense now? Cool Such a sword is VERY historically consistant for one that is seeking to reconstruct German greatsword techniques as seen in many period texts. Glasgow Museums has two very nice swords of the type I am wanting Albion so desperately to turn out(hint, hint Wink )
Shane Smith
ARMA~ Virginia Beach

Last edited by Shane Smith on Fri 20 Jan, 2006 3:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a question here, as we are discussing historical blade lengths and authenticity, I would like to enter into this the practicality issue pertaining to the fact that in the medieval era the average height as I understand it to be was a few inches shorter than is the average height of man in our present day. So, hypothetically if the average height in say 1450 Europe was 5' 7" and in present day say 5' 9". In relation to this factor, would it not then be more authentic in practicality to have a sword a bit longer than in the medieval era? Wouldn't the blades have been longer in 1450 if the average height was the same as it is today?

Curious as to what other members think on this issue.

Bob
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
I have a question here, as we are discussing historical blade lengths and authenticity, I would like to enter into this the practicality issue pertaining to the fact that in the medieval era the average height as I understand it to be was a few inches shorter than is the average height of man in our present day. So, hypothetically if the average height in say 1450 Europe was 5' 7" and in present day say 5' 9". In relation to this factor, would it not then be more authentic in practicality to have a sword a bit longer than in the medieval era? Wouldn't the blades have been longer in 1450 if the average height was the same as it is today?

Curious as to what other members think on this issue.

Bob

Bob,
This is an issue that should be discussed on its own. Please feel free to post a new topic in the Off-Topic forum rather than lump it on here.

Happy

ChadA

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aesthetically, I prefer the pommel and guard on the other XVII, the Landgraf. However, I've heard that the Sempach's pommel is much friendlier to the left hand than is the Landgraf's
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Craig,
I'm glad you like your Sempach. I love mine. I agree that it's under-rated, especially given how popular the sword form must have been judging by the number of surviving examples.

I was surprised, though, that you used the term oval for the blade (though you did call it hexagonal as well). For me, "oval" implies round-ness. "Hexagonal" implies planes and angles.

Chad,

Maybe I should have explained it a bit more thoroughly in my post why I used the term "oval". What initially struck me was how much more rounded, speaking in very general terms, the blade of the Sempach is compared to the Knight or the Bastard. The term "oval" seemed more appropriate than "rounded", hence why I used it. I remembered, however, that the Sempach does not actually have an oval cross section, which was why I made the correction in brackets to indicate that "oval" was not the right term. However, I left my perception of the Sempach as having a "quite oval" blade in, because it more accurately captured my immediate impression of the weapon, despite the fact that it was in error. When I think of blades that have hexagonal cross sections, I can conceive of them being relatively flat and not unlike the Bastard in thickness, for instance. That's in part why I left in the term "oval" as a descriptor, because it captured the surprising relative thickness of the Sempach's cross-section, even if it isn't technically accurate.

Make sense now?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane Smith wrote:
MY desire for longer bladed swords is not ahistorical by any means although the context in which my statement was made is not as I intended. ....Make more sense now? Cool

Context is everything. Happy Of course longer swords existed. I think the more recent longswords may be intended to be on the longer side. I'm sure that longer swords will find their way into Albion's lineup.

My comment was really in response to several I've seen in discussions recently. When discussing replicas of historic swords, some people have said "if only it had x or y or z, it'd be perfect." My response is always, "if it had those things, it wouldn't be the sword being replicated." Happy

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Maybe I should have explained it a bit more thoroughly in my post why I used the term "oval". What initially struck me was how much more rounded, speaking in very general terms, the blade of the Sempach is compared to the Knight or the Bastard. ...

That's in part why I left in the term "oval" as a descriptor, because it captured the surprising relative thickness of the Sempach's cross-section, even if it isn't technically accurate.

Make sense now?

We're getting there. Happy I think perhaps the thickness to width ratio may have spawned that term, since something like the knight would be less angular, but also much wider and thinner. Oval perhaps captured the "taller" nature of the cross-section.

Happy

ChadA

Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An excellent idea Chad, I will start a new thread on this topic regarding the differences of sized people between now and then, on the average.

Thanks,

Bob
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane Smith wrote:

Shane,

I agree that it would be nice to see a few more of the "longer" swords. There seems to be quite a few long swords in Albion's line up that are towards the shorter end of long swords, and a few more of the longer ones would be nice.

In a later post, you state that you prefer great swords, and you indicate here that you prefer such swords for the German tradition. It seems to me though that a sword like the Sempach would be more suited to Liechtenauer's long sword than a broader great sword. In the various German manuscripts from the Liechtenauer tradition, there is considerable emphasis placed upon using the thrust as well as the cut. Obviously, great swords possess the capacity to thrust, but a sword like the Sempach seems far more suitable to me in this regard. Also, there seems to sizable portions of fechtbucher in Liechtenauer's tradition, particularly Ringeck's manual, that are dedicated to krieg. A sword with a thinner blade and an effective point seems to be better suited to krieg, particularly when your opponent is strong at the bind. Also, it appears that most of Liechtenauer tradition deals with blossfechten, in which case a more agile blade is often an asset, or harnischfechten in some form of plate armour, in which case the rigid, hexagonal cross section and sturdy point of a sword like the Sempach is an asset.

I do agree though that a great sword would be better for things like the meisterhau. And indeed, they appear to be one of the most important aspect of Liechtenauer's tradition, which should be taken into account. However, overall it seems to me that a sword with a narrower, thrust oriented blade has more attributes suited to the Liechtenauer tradition. Certainly though, there are German fechtbucher that feature great swords; Goliath immediately comes to mind.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a personal preference, I really agree with Craig that a sword like the Sempach handles fantastically for the Liechtenauer school, moreso IMO than a larger great sword. It's fast and agile, it'll thrust nicely into the gaps of armour, and you can half-sword well due to the less acute edge without sacrificing too much of it's ability to cut. That said, I think a great sword can work fine for Liechtenauer's teachings of the longsword, and indeed so can pretty much any longsword. The more I study this stuff, the more I realize how universal these techniques are to a multitude of weapons. So, in my view, I don't think that the Sempach works any better for Fiore than it does for Liechtenauer. As always, your mileage will vary.

Though, Shane, I do I like the longer weapons myself. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

IIRC there are larger type XVII swords, for example this one, http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2670

Can we assume that blades were often "tailored" to the size and preferences of the customer? I can imagine that this happened quite often (given that the sword was not part of a bunch of massproduced swords for a campaign).
"Ok, I'm taller than my buddies can you make me a larger version of that sword, maybe with such a crossguard blabla"

Concerning the aforementioned greatswords: I think Albion has announced three of them so far: the Danish one with the long "Ahlspiess blade" and two Landsknecht-style swords (the Tyrolean and another one, forgot the name) with broader blades, but without the complex hilts and the parrying hooks on the ricasso.
If my life depened on it I would choose the Danish one. Nasty, nasty, nasty blade Cool
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Size of longsword blades:
Yes there is variation!
We find longswords both shorter and longer than those currently in production at Albion.

I do not think blades were directly cusom made as commonly as may be uspposed. Blades were normally made in unches on order from cutlers.
Few swords were made as one off items, although that would of coruse have happened from time to time. I think the normal would be for a customer to go to a culter and see what the cutler could offer in the way of diferent blades and pick a hiltstyle that suited his tastes, needs and wallet.

Perhaps the most common for a man at arms was to use a sword that was part of a group delivery to some armoury?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Review: Albion Armorers Next Generation SempachProduct Review
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: