Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Modern Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
c) cell phone, MP3 player, camera and all other "survival tools" should be stuffed into handle or scabbard)
(notice that well hidden USB 2.0 on the pomel)

Victorinox is already offering a swiss army knife with an in-built usb-stick Big Grin
Stephen J. Kelley

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As for a day to day use sword that might be carried by anyone, I'd have to give that more thought, but being in Iraq at the present I know that Qama's are occasionally taken from the insurgents, though I do not know of any cases where they tried to use them. For my needs, should I return, I will bring my francesca. It is the show of force needed to keep "friendlies" from getting unruly, as they tend to do. It can be used as a club (I have a sawed off pickaxe handle now) if less than lethal force is necessary and it can be thrown if needed in close quarters, and even if your throw doesn't stick it is heavy enough the other fellow is going to know you hit him giving you time to dispach him in another way.
With the trend towards full body armor, if I were grappling with an opponent armored similarly I would want a sharp pointy blade like a stilletto or even an ice pick or awl to probe for soft spots in the armor to penetrate. I plan to shoot him before it gets to that point, but you never know.

There is a military issue tomahawk out there, but I do not know that is was acually issued to anyone.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Norwegian troops are issued(or buy, depending on unit) broad bladed, 8" knives "sami knifes", for use as tools.
Yours truly's example shown below.

While not purpose made weapons, they will do the intimidation bit quite nicely. They will also work for chopping down small trees, or as a improvised spatula.

Attachment: 77.23 KB
Eternalvigliance.jpg

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling;

Nice H/K ( G3 ? ) do they let you take it home with you like the Swiss. Razz Laughing Out Loud

The knife would do the job of intimidation quite nicely at 8" of blade and if you can use it to spread strawberry jam on your buttered toast in the morning that much better.

Knives / short swords / tomahawks 99% tool and 1% fighting use I would think.

The psychological intimidation has some value in discouraging closing in real close and attacking but more in a hostile crowd control situation than actual combat. ( Maybe )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Jay wrote:
Actually, I think you see such "modern" swords offered by ATrim, Albion, and A&A. The materials are all modern from steel to heat treating. You could change handle materials from wood and leather to micarta or other synthetics, change guards from iron/steel to titanium or what-ever. The form will follow the function. To dispatch a foe a Smallsword may work as well as an Type XIII.

Ah, but the type XIII would be much more dramatic! Razz

I think that whatever modern sword a person has trained with and gained proficiency with is the best sword.
Actual design is of less relevance than the ability to use it properly.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The home guard gets to bring them home... But without the firing pins, these days...
these are however easily and legally acquired from US gunshops on the net, if you want one...
But I was in the Field Artillery. M109 SP howitzer crew.

Long swords are better in a fight, but more awkward to carry. Exactly how much "encumberance" you care to slog around would be up to personal preference. If you can be bothered to wear a XIII all day, it's as good a choice as any...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Harold R.

PostPosted: Wed 08 Mar, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I may get laughed off the forum for saying this but I wonder if a Becker Patrol Machete might work. My experience in the Army tells me that you are going to be a whole lot more utility work with a knife than fighting. A single edged knife seems like a better choice for this to me. I have a BK7 now and it has become a constant companion on my trips into the woods. For a utility knife the BK7 is a bit big but I can always choke up if i need a little less blade or just use my leatherman. The patrol machete is way too big for many uses but combined with a swiss army knife, leatherman, or a smaller fixed blade knife it would help cover a lot of bases.
I am an amateur at swords though so cut me some slack. Wink
http://www.camillusknives.com/1mainframe.htm?bkt/bk6.shtml~main

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Modern Sword
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: