New guy want some help on a possible purchase
Hello all

Cold steel has a groos messer I may be interested in I read the review but it seems to me that the handle tang seems to get thinner towards the bottom of the blade right where your fingers wrap arond if you look at the pics you could see it looks thinner. Anyone have one and can you tell me the thickness of th steel of the handle tang part. Im no idiot when it comes to buying good blades I want something that will take a beating and still keep a smile on my face. plus of minus a few fingers. Lol j/k
Thanks for helping a new guy on this great fornum out
Christopher
There's a very comprehensive review (with good photos) hosted right here on myArmoury.com: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_cs_mess.html

To summarize, it's quite sturdy, but crude and substantially overweight.
FWIW, There is also a thread somewhere about one breaking at the hilt...

I still don't remember what the end result of that situation was.
IIRC someone managed to break the blade of a cold steel grossemesser just at the crossguard by hitting a pumpkin...
Lloyd Clark at a cutting party two years ago just after Halloween.
And here's the thread, complete with pictures: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2652
Wow :eek: BEWARE the pumpkin. I've yet to handle a CS Messer but I always thought they were pretty tough cutters of dang near anything. Hmm.
Well, pumpkins are pretty tough. Good thing you didn't try to slice an apple with it or it would have shattered the blade. Seriously though, its not a good idea to make the tang using balsa wood. Its for airplane models people.
I actually just bought this sword from Kult of Athena. For the most part i like the sword. My only complaint is that it is too heavy and the the gaurd is a little rough causing it to dig into the had when it swung. The blade seems strong enough to me, it came sharp and took out a card board bos without problem. i think for the money, $170 or so from kult of Athena, it's a good buy.
well anyone have pics or tell me how thick the blade is on the handle I really want pics I HAVE seen the pics on this site although good just looks the the tang gets thin near the bottom of the grip so anyone please take a pic of the bottom and top of the handle for me. I kinda want it to beat on but hearing they snap easy I may just convert my old ontario machete into one.
Christopher Finneman wrote:
well anyone have pics or tell me how thick the blade is on the handle I really want pics I HAVE seen the pics on this site although good just looks the the tang gets thin near the bottom of the grip so anyone please take a pic of the bottom and top of the handle for me. I kinda want it to beat on but hearing they snap easy I may just convert my old ontario machete into one.

Actually, just one of them has snapped, AFAIK, and that was due to a manufacturing flaw in the blade, not the design as such. The tang stays the same thickness all the way to the screwed-on pommel (that's the part I'd expect to break, if any), although it does actually thin towards the front edge, continuing the triangular blade cross-section all the way through.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: