Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Suggestions for someone losing intrest Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
T.F. McCraken

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi guys, Murphy here.
As a man of many hobbies including woodwork, leathercraft, drawing, RPGs, and scale modeling in 1/160, 1/144, 1/87, 1/64, 1/48, 1/35, 1/32, and 1/25, I can honestly say that sword collecting does get put on the backburner alot! Time and money ebb and flow accordingly and my priorities change with the wind. The sword hobby is the easiest to manage as they wait patiently on the wall and continue to inspire me daily in some way or another.
Keep on doing what smacks your fancy at the moment, the history and learning sounds like a good companion to collecting as it is. Therefore let the interest wane for a bit. I wouldn't sell just yet, because the interest will return and a rash decision will always come back to haunt.

My2centavos,
Murphy WTF?!
Chuck Perino

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: I've Been in your shoes         Reply with quote

I also have kind of dropped my interest in collecting. Seemed that no matter what I was able to acquire, I would feel a sense of emptyness afterward Blush

Took me a little while to realize it wasn't the physical reproductions of swords and simulated life of reenactment that I was interested in, but actually seeing the horizon that the greats of history gazed upon. Now I use the money I would have typically used to buy a sword, or other item to travel to see the places I have only read about. I still browse the fora here, checking into what sounds interesting.

I find that actually walking in a historical town, city, castle, etc. gives me what I need better than the collection of swords. It enables me to make my own life history as well, rather than sitting at home polishing an expensive sword ever did.

No offense to anyone, just my 2 cents, and what I have discovered.

Chuck
Jeff Smith

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael,

As has been covered here, I go through the same cycles myself as far as my interests and passions. Swords is my newest passion and i'm spending alot of time on the subject and it's related topics such as armour and swordsmanship. I ordered two books from Amazon last nite, so am anxious to get those in hand and begin some drills with my Crecy that is due to arrive on Monday.

My other interests are rifles, hunting and motorcycles (street cruisers)...

My advice? Dont sweat it, just go on with life and it's distractions that normally occur naturally and one day you'll get back to your swords and the passion will burn freely again - whether it's next week or years from now... Happy The swords won't go away, they await you when you're ready!
Greg Thomas Obach
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

my remedy is to hire an assistant.... much like inspector clouseau ... i have ordered him to attack me in the oddest times with various weapons... this will hone your cat like readiness and give you a renewed interest in arms and armour.... or else you'll succomb to numerous thrashings..

haha... i couldn't resist that..

anyhow onto the serious response... ..... personally, i find that reading good books that pertain to arms will definitely open the window of ideas... when i feel uninterested, i just have spend a couple bucks on some real good books.... it helps me alot...
--- also.......... show n tell can be a funny eye opener......... often i find that having some people over.... and showing off some interesting pieces can really boost the " feel good factor "..... as they often become interested in steel after that and start their own collections... ...

hope that helps... and sorry once again to subject you to my sense of humour

Greg
John McFarlin

PostPosted: Sun 23 Apr, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to admit, I'm not much of a collector. I have three weapons, a A&A Henry V, a handmade rondel from Jere Jameson (www.redshield-1391.org), and a poll axe my friend and I made inspired by the same one that the A&A seems based on. I have a spring steel late 14th century harness made by Jeff Hedgecock of Historic Arms, a helmet made by Brent Junkins of Anshelm Arms, and a pair of 14th Century spring steel hourglass gauntlets made by John Gruber. It's basically one brace of weapons and armor.

I find that my interests are best served by being broad-based in my hobby. I belong to a living history organization, and so I get to spend my time in several different directions--arms collecting, armor collecting, furniture building, research, clothing manufacture, and so forth. I have good friends who are into the same stuff, and who have other interests which support and prop mine, brewing, trebuchet making, and so on. I have recently undertaken to organize a 1300-1500 living history timeline event, so I'm kept busy with that, too.

I guess my point is: diversify and let yourself obsess over different things, while holding onto what you're not so interested in. It would be strange to find yourself standing there looking at a room full of swords scratching your head, wondering: "How'd I end up with all this stuff I'm not interested in?" With a hobby in living history and medieval encampment rendevousing, I never have to ask about that--the stuff is there to enable me to have the vacation I like.

John

Jehan de Pelham, esquire
Compagniye du Chalis: 1370-1420
www.mron.org

P.S.: G. Scott H, I sent a PM to you. Did you get it?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Suggestions for someone losing intrest
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: