Can anyone identify this sword?
Can anyone tell me anything about this sword? I bought it about 35 years ago in a flea market and it's been in my closet since. I can find no markings either on the blade or hilt. The blade length is about 23 3/4"; overall about 30". I'd appreciate any help.

Attachment: 117.7 KB
sword 003.jpg

Attachment: 112.59 KB
sword 002.jpg
The grip looks like some sort of lizard skin, and there is some hair on the pommel; I can't tell if it's showing where the leather wore away or was over it.

Attachment: 116.42 KB
sword 004.jpg

I'm wondering if this might not be another of the simpler hilted Omani Kattara that are popping up lately.

Apparently often found with European blades, some several hundred years old. Here is one of the more informative threads from SFI.

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s...adid=27926

Googling brings up more examples. Some seem to be selling/or mistaken as European hunting swords but the hilting of them seems to be a good means of identification. Some fancier than others and some longer than others.

Cheers

GC
Thanks, Glen, I appreciate the help. This sword has long been a mystery to me.

Regards,
Dave
Here's one of the same basic theme. What clarified it a bit was that it was not the running wolf of Passau it was described as but perhaps the lion mentioned in the linked thread. Nothing was gelling until someone brought up the Omani swords. I'm glad I saved the pictures because the fellow pulled them off his MSN page

Cheers

GC

It does look a bit more like a doggy though :D It was never determined whether the engraving was original to the blade.
Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Here's one of the same basic theme. What clarified it a bit was that it was not the running wolf of Passau it was described as but perhaps the lion mentioned in the linked thread. Nothing was gelling until someone brought up the Omani swords. I'm glad I saved the pictures because the fellow pulled them off his MSN page

Cheers

GC

It does look a bit more like a doggy though :D It was never determined whether the engraving was original to the blade.

Tell you the truth, it could even be a crocodile for all I can see of it. :D
It has a passing ressemblence to an Ethiopian shotel.

Try the Ethnographic weapons forum at vikingsword.com
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: