Go to page Previous  1, 2

Brent Rattan wrote:
Joe, I tried with my hands to see if I could loosen it (the pommel) and could not, so that's about as far as I plan to go. The pommel and the hilt are about as tight as can be right now. If I am ever playing with it and anything becomer loose I might tinker with it again.

Cool.

Can you tell is its been peened and then filed flat?

Alternately, can you tell if its cast?
This one is MRL's "Deal of The Day" today for $105. It's ripe for a home improvement project thanks to Nathan's posting of the original on which it's based (see the first page of this thread). Not really my taste, but still....

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Mon 03 Aug, 2009 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sean, thanks VERY much for alerting me to the sale! I just placed the order - been wanting one of these for a few years now, but the $210 price kept me from commiting. The $105 (plus shipping) was just within the budget, and now it'll be here by week's end. I'll give my impressions when it arrives. :D :cool: :D
Just ordered one sharpened for a very good price. This was a total impulse buy for me, but I have a feeling I will be happy with this falchion. After shipping, and sharpening fee it was only 141 bucks!!! :D
Joe Fults wrote:
Brent Rattan wrote:
Joe, I tried with my hands to see if I could loosen it (the pommel) and could not, so that's about as far as I plan to go. The pommel and the hilt are about as tight as can be right now. If I am ever playing with it and anything becomer loose I might tinker with it again.

Cool.

Can you tell is its been peened and then filed flat?

Alternately, can you tell if its cast?

I have handled this one at my local sword store a few times and was told that the pommel is a screw on.

I'm not a huge falchion fan but bought their 'German' model just to have an example. The German model fits better with my period and geographic range of interest. However, having compared these two windlass falchions a few times I must say that the Italian piece is more refined, and other things being equal, the better purchase.

PS - the 'Windlass' sticker comes off fairly easy with some steel polish and rubbing. The older ones had varnish over this and the whole blade: this comes off with fine steel wool soaked in mild nail polish remover.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: