New Jake Powning Anthropmorphic Celtic Sword
Anyone seen the new sword by Jake yet?

i just got an email from him with a link to it. It is simply amazing!

Here is the link:

http://www.powning.com/jake/commish/northbritanthro09.shtml

I probably didn't link it right, but its the address to it anyway.

Read the reconstruction process notes in the link right above the price.

I could go on and on, but let his own words speak to the Celtic soul in all of us.
New Jake Powning Anthropomorphic Celtic Sword
Absolutely stunning! His work just keeps getting better and better.
Man oh man --- In the dictionary a picture of that sword should accompany the definition of Heirloom.

I've seen some anthropomorphic hilts, but none like that one. Its just a beautiful piece of functional art. Too bad it can't go back to the Celtic Iron Age where it would really get its due.
I've never heard of Jake Powning before today. The last time I remember being so awe-struck was when I was introduced to Patrick Bárta's work... And I don't doubt that the next time I feel so inspired will probably be quite some time in the future!

Magnificent. Not just this piece, but his entire catalog of previous work. Just magnificent.

-Gregory

Last edited by Gregory J. Liebau on Wed 26 Aug, 2009 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stunning. Makes me wish he took commissions still.
Roger Hooper wrote:
Man oh man --- In the dictionary a picture of that sword should accompany the definition of Heirloom.

I've seen some anthropomorphic hilts, but none like that one. Its just a beautiful piece of functional art. Too bad it can't go back to the Celtic Iron Age where it would really get its due.

Indeed, I have yet to see the man do a single thing that was less than heirloom quality.

He seems to have the Celtic Anthropomorphic stuff down pat. There was also a cool-looking Viking sword on his website.

I'd LOVE to see what he could do with Migration-era Germanic and Frankish patterns...
He really loves his Celtic forms, so I'd love to see what his Iberian Falcata would look like.
Wow. Those are easily some of the prettiest swords I've ever seen.
I'm not a fan of Celtic swords, but all the same I find it physically impossible to not like everything Jake Powning produces.
I'm running out of superlatives when it comes to jake's swords...and most have been applied to his work anyway so I won't bother here :)

I like the fact that Jake is going for documented interpretations of museum originals. Studying originals (alongside P Johnson who's well known for his meticulous approach in that department) can only mean that he'll produce even better work in the future if such feat is possible :)

Cheers,

J

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: