Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Popular Opinion. Who do you think is the best sword makers? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Mathias Andersson

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I say go with the inlays and the rest of the stuff. It will be worth the extra cash to have it a total remake of the original. But either way, it´s a really beatiful sword! I own a copy of it to (pics posted earlier) with the inlays but with smaller extra fullers and no riccaso than your´s, and if Craig has gotten it right you will notice that it is a tottaly wonderfull sword to handle!
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
I think this is a very individual question, and the "right" question may not be "which is best" but "which is best for you".

Gordon I think you are absolutely right. While there are some companies that I would stay away from or won't choose due to a companies construction methods, pricing or personal preferences, for me any company that gets someone interested in swords is the "best" company. The one caveat I have is that I'm against those companies that continue to promote disinformation in order to sell their wares. But again that is an idealogical decision.
Jason Elrod

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mathias Andersson wrote:
I say go with the inlays and the rest of the stuff. It will be worth the extra cash to have it a total remake of the original. But either way, it´s a really beatiful sword! I own a copy of it to (pics posted earlier) with the inlays but with smaller extra fullers and no riccaso than your´s, and if Craig has gotten it right you will notice that it is a tottaly wonderfull sword to handle!

Yeah Mathias I've been ogling your sword for quite some time now and if I had the chance would have snatched it up in a heart beat. It's quite a looker.
Mathias Andersson

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And your´slooks to be a real looker to, can´t waith to se the pics of the whole sword! Will the handle be colored black as the original or are you going for some other colour?
Jason Elrod

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
For me, Arms and Armor has been the company where most of my collecting money has gone. There are many reasons, but most are pretty subjective. The product line is diverse, bang for the buck is good, they are enthusiastic about ideas for custom commissions (they are working on my third custom order right now) and they do a very nice job of incorporating my requests, as well as what the item "should be like" for performance and historical correctness reasons.

their products seem less "mass produced" to my eyes than Albion's do, but the variance is pretty high (the same model sword may vary by several ounces in weight, from my own measurements and other's posted reviews). It seems to me that the philosophy there is on getting things to "feel" right. Just one example:

I ordered a custom scabbard for my English longsword. This was a pretty "budget" version of approx $400. It came with obviously handmade copper (bronze?) rivets on the belt. I'm not completely sure they are historically correct, but they sure feel more right than the mass produced rivets on the belt of my (also budget "campaign line" ) scabbard from Albion.

All this says is that I have decided that A&A has - up to now - been the right swordmaker for me. If I had a bit more money to spend there are at least 5 Albion swords I would order if I could, but i don't, so my collecting will stay very specific for now, and my money will go mostly to A&A.

Gordon

3 custom A&As! The Polearm, the Type XX and let me guess. . . a Type XVIII to replace your Henry V? Well since you won't be needing the Henry V any more just go ahead and send it my way. Wink

You know Gordon I have to agree with every statement you made about A&A. If I was stuck on a deserted island and could only take one sword company with me then A&A would be the one Laughing Out Loud

My problem is that there are so many good makers out there right now that I want a sample of all of their wares!
Jason Elrod

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mathias Andersson wrote:
And your´slooks to be a real looker to, can´t waith to se the pics of the whole sword! Will the handle be colored black as the original or are you going for some other colour?

I'm going with maroon just to mix it up a little bit. I actually prefer a little color to my swords.
Gordon Clark

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:

3 custom A&As! The Polearm, the Type XX and let me guess. . . a Type XVIII to replace your Henry V? Well since you won't be needing the Henry V any more just go ahead and send it my way. Wink

You know Gordon I have to agree with every statement you made about A&A. If I was stuck on a deserted island and could only take one sword company with me then A&A would be the one Laughing Out Loud

My problem is that there are so many good makers out there right now that I want a sample of all of their wares!

Jason, It is a custom rondel. Concept sketch:

Attachment: 8.9 KB
rondelsketch.jpg

Jason Elrod

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
Jason Elrod wrote:

Jason, It is a custom rondel. Concept sketch:

Darn. It was worth a try! The rondel looks very nice. Are you going to use bone for the handle?
Gordon Clark

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It will be wood wrapped with a little wire.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Not until now. And only because you twisted my arm. Wink Though I'm only going to post pics of the differences in the handles right now. Try to guess which sword this is based on?

That's a stumper! Big Grin

I assume the second photo is the new handle?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
Since many Atrim and Tinker blades have dismountable grips with that obvious construction of the pommel, I have never had the desire to go that route. I know I could go semi-custom from Christian Fletcher, but I guess that is too complicated for me.
Gordon

I more or less feel the same way. That said I'm gradually working my mind to having CF do a project on a peened Atrim blade for me at some point because I think they pretty much set the production standard for durability. Durability is becoming more of a consideration as my toys are being 'used' more often. I've had CF do a couple projects for me over the years and I've been happy tihe the results so far.

A&A has been, and continues to be, good to me too.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:

Very true.

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Right now I think my business breakout has been about:

A&A 20%
Albion 15%
Atrim/CF 15%
Lutel 15%
ARMA Bohemia 5%
AC 10%
MRL 10%
Starfire 10%
Crap 10%

I don't expect to buy much, if anything else, in the future from the bottom four for a varitey of reasons (expectation, need, exchange rate).

Jason Elrod

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Right now I think my business breakout has been about:

A&A 20%
Albion 15%
Atrim/CF 15%
Lutel 15%
ARMA Bohemia 5%
AC 10%
MRL 10%
Starfire 10%
Crap 10%

I don't expect to buy much, if anything else, in the future from the bottom four for a varitey of reasons (expectation, need, exchange rate).

Hey Joe. What have you bought from ARMA Bohemia? The have a really nice looking Messer that I've been tempted to buy on more than one occasion but I've never heard anything about AB's quality before.
Mathew Morris

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Matthew,

Seems that you manage to kill quite a few swords, even a few in the mix that are a bit of a surprise.

What happened to your replacement Vinland?

Hello Joe! the other Vinland Bent aswell. it was on a really soft fleashy, rotten wood. as i was into probably my hundred chop. i chopped with the grain this time. the blade bit in nicely but followed the curvy-ness of the wood and warped the blade....i was so angry. i went into a frusturated flurry of strikes that warped the sword even more, once a sword is bent it nearly imposible for someone with out the proper tools to bent it back....i knew this...i tried many time.

the tree was dead...the sword curvy.....i wasnt happy. this was a replacement to my othe Vinland that was a one time error.
i allso no now they use a diffrent steel the Del Tin and Angus (which have never bent, they use 1060) i cant remeber what albion used. well they wouldnt give me a refund...so i took credit.

This may sound strange but somewhere down the line ive had really bad swords that were promised to be amazing. so when ever i recieve a new sword i put it through a "gauntlet" of regerous tests to see if its up to par. if it is i love and play with...if not....i either take the hit or talk to the maker.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Hey Joe. What have you bought from ARMA Bohemia? The have a really nice looking Messer that I've been tempted to buy on more than one occasion but I've never heard anything about AB's quality before.

I have a Rondel on order with them that is being finished. With a bit of luck I hope to have it in hand inside a month. Its essentially a test order to see how they respond, and what their quality looks like. If all goes well I'll try something else. I've noticed that Messer too but I think I may try a Sallet from them next. Again assuming this all goes well.

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mathew Morris wrote:
This may sound strange but somewhere down the line ive had really bad swords that were promised to be amazing. so when ever i recieve a new sword i put it through a "gauntlet" of regerous tests to see if its up to par. if it is i love and play with...if not....i either take the hit or talk to the maker.

Makes sense to me.

If you don't mind me asking too much, is Albion still on your approved vendor list?

Mathew Morris

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Arms and Armour         Reply with quote

Thats good to hear, ive never played with a A&A but i do like there work and with your recommendation i may just buy one!
Mathew Morris

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Mathew Morris wrote:

Makes sense to me.

If you don't mind me asking too much, is Albion still on your approved vendor list?

Nice fellows.. but i'll never buy another albion, i was disapointed, its important to me to have a sword i can rely on. I will buy there spears, Del tins and other products though and i have a Senechal Dagger thats lasted really well.
Mark G.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 21 May, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew,

Would you happen to have a picture of the Senchal Dagger? The name sounds familiar, but I can't seem to picture it.

www.ollinsworddesign.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Popular Opinion. Who do you think is the best sword makers?
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: