Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How far a sword could cleave Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Mike Luke

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are just some things even armor can't protect you from. Eek!

There is no man worth a leke,
Be he sturdy, be he meke,
But he bear a basilard.
Nathan Hoin

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, this topic brings back some interesting memories from my childhood. No seriously. When I was about 8-9 years old, I bought a book called Book of the Medieval Knight by Stephen Turnbull. There was a photo from an archeological dig showing a skull wearing a mail coif. Both the coif and the skull were split in two. I was absolutely horrified and disturbed by that photo and the images it brought up in my 8 year old mind, so I had my parents cut the picture out! I still have the book but, um, I can't show you the picture! If anyone has this book (it is a fairly common medieval book, broad and shallow) it was on the bottom of p. 53, next to the funeral effigy of Duke John II of Brittany, the caption reads like this...

"Below left and right: The ideal and the reality: the delicate features of the funery effigy of Duke John II of Brittany contrast with the skull excavated from the grave pits of Wisby which bears the remains of a mail hood similar to that depicted on the Duke's peaceful head."

I suggest looking at actual wounds from battlefield archeology, instead of relying on modern conjecture or medieval exagguration. Perhaps "the grave pits of Wisby" are a good place to start *hint hint*

On a side note, the wound shown was so horrific, I refused to see Braveheart when it came out around that time. When I finally did see the movie, the gore seemed like nothing compared to what could *actually* happen!
Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jul, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The finds at the battle site of Visby have been extensively studied (though with the methods of that time) by Bengt Thordemann - I think his book is on this site's recommanded readings list.

Now, to continue on the topic : Olivier de la Marche mentions in his Mémoires, especially for the Battle of Neuss in the 1470s, limbs being chopped off and bodies being cleft in two by longsword blows - something he directly witnessed.

Fab

PhD in medieval archeology.
HEMAC member
De Taille et d'Estoc director
Maker of high quality historical-inspired pieces.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jul, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it was Livy who wrote about the horror of the Greeks after a battle in which the Romans had left severed body parts strewn about a Macedonian battlefield. And this was done with the gladius. (This is but one of many examples countering the idea that the Romans primarily concentrated on thrusting attacks). I don't think that anyone could doubt the ability of a longer blade to do the same or worse to an unarmoured human. Cutting through armour is another thing however . Even padded cloth is extremely difficult to cut through with any sword.
Rod Parsons

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jul, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
I think it was Livy who wrote about the horror of the Greeks after a battle in which the Romans had left severed body parts strewn about a Macedonian battlefield. And this was done with the gladius. (This is but one of many examples countering the idea that the Romans primarily concentrated on thrusting attacks). I don't think that anyone could doubt the ability of a longer blade to do the same or worse to an unarmoured human. Cutting through armour is another thing however . Even padded cloth is extremely difficult to cut through with any sword.

But easier with the point than with the edge.
Rod.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jul, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nobody from any time period deliberately attempted to thrust through armour with a one-handed weapon. There were plenty of gaps to exploit.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jul, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Nobody from any time period deliberately attempted to thrust through armour with a one-handed weapon. There were plenty of gaps to exploit.

Rather a sweeping statement. Even assuming that said form of attack is irrational (which is perhaps somewhat dependant on both the armour and the weapon in question), surely battles would have had their quota of maniacs, fools, desparate fearful men, folks showing off, people who stabbed at what they could get to or see etc..
Geoff
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jul, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think anyone doubts the horrific capability of swords against unarmoured oppponets and in some cases the lightly armoured.

Patrick Kelly's deer story is still over at Netsword, along with a good long thread about cow carcasses. The fascination continues and meat/bone cutting seems a valid pastime for some.

I have been involved, somewhat annualy now, with public cutting demonstrations with mats and it does seem to be a real eye-opener for some. To see limb thickness columns being severed like so many lengths of summer sausage and this with little apparent effort, never fails to give some spectators pause. Literally jaw dropping for some.

The anecdotal references from the Napoleanic wars are no less conclusive. Here is a snippet of a good article by Martin Read.

http://swordforum.com/articles/ams/cavalrycombat.php

Quote:

…raising himself in his stirrups, let fall upon the Frenchman's head such a blow, that brass and skull parted before it, and the man's head was cloven asunder to the chin. It was the most tremendous blow I ever beheld struck; and both he who gave, and his opponent who received it, dropped dead together. The brass helmet was afterwards examined by order of a French officer, who, as well as myself, was astonished at the exploit; and the cut was found to be as clean as if the sword had gone through a turnip, not so much as a dint being left on either side of it.

I find it interesting that this is slowly sliding into the cut vs thrust debate and the cavalry article is a good take on that as well. While many countries did eventually seem to drop all tactic but the thrust, ample argument existed for cutting/slashing effectiveness and the more natural motion of it.

Cheers

GC
Thomas Laible

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jul, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

this text part cam also into my mind.

Another point: look at Albions tests on the barrel:
http://www.albion-swords.com/sword-testing.htm

Considering this I believe it is possiblöe to cleave into a helment.

Thomas

student at www.alte-kampfkunst.de
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jul, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All that demonstrates is that helmets shouldn't be made from barrels.

Edit: Brass Napoleonic helmets were very thin. Much lighter than medieval helmets. Even so, the blow described in the above anecdote was impressive.
Nathan Hoin

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jul, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most most napoleanic sabres weren't meant for taking on armour either...
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jul, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Hoin wrote:
Most most napoleanic sabres weren't meant for taking on armour either...

Nor was it my intention to imply they were. It was simply one of the more graphic examples of cleaving presented in the linked article. There are many more there about chopped this and limbed that, suprisingly survivable in many instances. One remark there about the thrusting of the French being more ultimately deadly isn't about anti-armour either.

My main point was that swords do a great job at what they were meant to and can exceed expectations at times.

Cheers

GC
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jul, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, according to Alan Williams you need to deliver 200 J or more to defeat mail. From the numbers I've seen, modern athletes can manage that amount of energy with golf clubs and baseball bats. Good tests haven't been done with longswords, but I wouldn't be surprised if strong and skilled men could deal out fatal wounds through mail.

Remember, many of the archers back then fought with 150+ lb bows. Assuming sword-swinging muscles were equally developed, I doubt many of us are up to the historical standard. (I know I'm not.)

It seems much less likely to me that a one-handed swing would defeat mail, though. Perhaps from horseback...
Thomas Laible

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
All that demonstrates is that helmets shouldn't be made from barrels.

in my opinion it is not off-topic to compare the materials.

But here are somewhat more interesting videos with test cuts on chain mail and helmets
http://www.thehaca.com/Videos/NTCvids/testing...erials.htm

Thomas

student at www.alte-kampfkunst.de
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: how far can a sword cleave?         Reply with quote

I've been cutting and chopping with swords longer than most of y0ou have been alive. Back in "68 I was sent some mail from the SCA on the West Coast with the comment that they best knights had not been able to cut it. It was made from coat hanger wire and welded together. (They had been trying to cut in on a hay bale!) I chopped it up and sent it back. I used an original Chinese glaive blade with a rounded edge. One of the toughest blades I've ever encountered.Since that time I have cut mail of all types and sizes, spring steel, soft iton, rivetted, key ring construction, thick and light and light. I have also cut into armor, helmets, even and old one. Thick helmets, thin but well tempered helmets (original Persian, I wasns't very smart when I was young)I once cut a three inch sweetgum sapling in half with one blow, using a sword Flavio Del Tin made for me.(I have witnesses) Jim Fikes, a knifemaker/blacksmith in Jasper, Ala. once cut a 2x4 almost in half, missing it by less than an 1/8th of an inch. I heard later that he had succeeded, and I believe it, but I wasn't there. Jimmy is one of the most powerful men I have ever encountered, and as non professional wrestler and weightliter I have met quite a few, including Paul Anderson.
Not long ago Obata, the Japanese guy who does all the cutting, cut into a Japanese helmet. He cut into it, he did not sever it, and other than the shock the head would probalby been safe underneath.
I have no doubt that I could lop off a man's leg at the upper thigh, cut a man down to his hips, and very probably cut him in half, certainly across the mid section where there is only the spine, but probalby through the chest as well. I am also aware that on my best day I couldn't cut like a Viking/farmer/reaver who grew up working hard and having to fight.
So as far as I am concerned, cutting through helmets, plate, shearing a mail shirt completely in h alf with a man inside of it is all hype. Very muc like the the machine gun barrel that everyone's first cousin's next door neighbotr saw happen in Tarawa, Iwo Jima and you name the place.
Speaking of that, Mythbusters has been in contact about doing a piece on that particular bit. NO, I'm not involved, just telling them where they could get the items they need.
Let me quickly add something here. Bronze helmets are very thin, and could be cut. They were designed to deflect a chance blow, and not to stop a full arm chop. Bronze being heavier than steel, if you made one thick enough to stop a cut, most necks couldn't handle the weight.

Hank Reinhardt
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

According to at least one source I read, in the very early Middle Ages/very late Dark Ages some warriors wore mail without any padding. This could be around the time of the Song of Roland example quoted above. Perhaps this could account for some of the earlier references to blows shearing off armored limbs and similar things--although they're still probably exaggerated.

Also, referring to Livy's statement, Livy is not known for his strict attention to accuracy but rather to his storytelling, so his writings should be viewed with a certain amount of skepticism.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Max von Bargen wrote:
lso, referring to Livy's statement, Livy is not known for his strict attention to accuracy but rather to his storytelling, so his writings should be viewed with a certain amount of skepticism.

Except that Livy is supported by a pile of other sources. How about Polybius [XVIII] "However, according to the Roman methods of fighting each man makes his movements individually: not only does he defend his body with his long shield, constantly moving it to meet a threatened blow, but he uses his sword for both cutting and for thrusting. Obviously, these tactics require a more open order and an interval between the men, and in practice each soldier needs to be at least three feet from those in the same rank and from those in front of and behind him if he is to perfom his function efficiently."

There are quite a number of gladii found with evidence of oversharpening on the edges. Strange thing to do if they were only used for stabbing. There are also several skulls showing evidence of gladius cuts (Maiden Hill?). How about this guy? He doesn't look like he is about to stab his enemy.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/Crispvs/met-c.jpg
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Max von Bargen wrote:
According to at least one source I read, in the very early Middle Ages/very late Dark Ages some warriors wore mail without any padding.
Depends on what your definition of "padding" is. If you mean a padded garment specifically designed to be worn under mail, then there is no evidence for it. If you mean several layers of woollen clothing then there is plenty of evidence that they were worn with and without mail.
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the corrections, Dan. Nobody mentioned any corroboration of evidence with Livy, and I would definitely trust Polybius. But in your second post,
Quote:
If you mean a padded garment specifically designed to be worn under mail, then there is no evidence for it.
do you mean there is no evidence for its not being worn, or there is no evidence for its being worn? Anyway, I can't find the source that I referred to earlier, so it's quite possible I was making it up. Maybe I was confused and was thinking about some Roman Republic-era peoples who didn't wear padding. If so, I apologize.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Max von Bargen wrote:
do you mean there is no evidence for its not being worn, or there is no evidence for its being worn? Anyway, I can't find the source that I referred to earlier, so it's quite possible I was making it up. Maybe I was confused and was thinking about some Roman Republic-era peoples who didn't wear padding. If so, I apologize.

I mean that there is no evidence that a padded garment specifically designed to be worn under mail was utilised in Western Europe during the Dark Ages. Regarding the Romans, most experts agree that the "subarmalis" was worn under both mail and segmented plate. The Byzantines also wore padding under their mail.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How far a sword could cleave
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: