Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Padding, under or over maille?
Dan,
What is your view of the efficacy of padding over maille as with an aketon as opposed to padding under maille?
Any information or comment would be welcome.
Rod.
Re: Padding, under or over maille?
Rod Parsons wrote:
Dan,
What is your view of the efficacy of padding over maille as with an aketon as opposed to padding under maille?
Any information or comment would be welcome.
Rod.

Not to answer for Dan, but I think that padding worn under maille would be thinner and mostly an arming coat giving mostly protection from blunt trauma. This same thin " gambison " would only be very light protection if used on its own.

The padding worn over maille would be much thicker and of some real value as protection used alone by itself.

A thin gambison or arming coat would still be used under the maille when a thick one was used over the maille I believe.

I would think that the fabric would clump around an arrow point and make the piercing of the maille MUCH more difficult: The energy being spread out rather than concentrated on one link of the maille.

Sharpness of the point should make a big difference with cloth armour: If razor sharp a point might cut through easily, but anything less than razor sharp means having to spread the fibres of the weave apart or break the fibres and even a needle point would have trouble piercing if not followed up by razor sharp edges past the very point.

All conjecture on my part i.e. " Opinion " I could be wrong. ;)
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Page 3 of 3

Jump to: