Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What is this "chopper"? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christopher Lee

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: What is this "chopper"?         Reply with quote

Hi,

Was looking back through some old images tucked away in a directory, came accross some pictures that i had forgotten about. Sadly i can't remember where on the net i found them (hopefully not on here, other wise i'm going to look like an idiot!).

I appreciate that artistic license may be at work here, but i am still curious to know what the large two handed "chopper" might be and if it was possibly an historical weapon; interesting knuckle/hand guard also.

Anyone seen anything like it before or anyone know the source manuscript?

Christopher

Attachment: 84.76 KB
romp10.jpg

Attachment: 122.12 KB
romp08.jpg

Attachment: 68.58 KB
romp07.jpg

Attachment: 81.54 KB
romp06.jpg

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a link to a topic thread dealing with similar weapons seen in previous period sources including the ones you posted, about halfway down the first page: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=927&start=0

Just try doing a search using Falchion and you will find every topic were the subject is mentioned, there may be other topic threads where you might find some other relevant information.

The source you posted is mentioned in the Topic I linked as " The Romance of Alexandre " ( No other details mentioned that I found just glancing at the posts, but a search here or with Google might give you more background information. )

Hope this helps. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Christopher Lee

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Here is a link to a topic thread dealing with similar weapons seen in previous period sources including the ones you posted, about halfway down the first page: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=927&start=0

Just try doing a search using Falchion and you will find every topic were the subject is mentioned, there may be other topic threads where you might find some other relevant information.

The source you posted is mentioned in the Topic I linked as " The Romance of Alexandre " ( No other details mentioned that I found just glancing at the posts, but a search here or with Google might give you more background information. )

Ok, yep, i did find it on here in the first place; thanks for not calling me an idiot!! Wink
Chris
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Lee wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Ok, yep, i did find it on here in the first place; thanks for not calling me an idiot!! Wink
Chris

No problem, but any calling someone an idiot is self-inflicted. Razz Laughing Out Loud I never said it and forgetting where one has read or seen something happens to all of us all the time. Big Grin Cool ( Just joking back at you in a friendly way. Wink )

( Edited: Oh, you wrote, thanks for NOT calling me an idiot ! I read your post too fast and missed the " NOT " Blush In that case your'e welcome. Big Grin )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If that's "The Romance of Alexander" as in Alexander of Macedonia, might this be a Medieval attempt at depicting the Greek kopis? It looks to me like what someone familiar with falchions might produce from an Nth-hand verbal description of one.
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What is this "chopper"?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic