Entry-level test-cutting sword?
I'm looking for the best sharp longsword I can find in the $250-300 price range. I've looked at the Windlass offerings at MRL, as well as Albion's Squire line -- which is a bit more than I'd like to pay for my first sword, but certainly worth the money. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Arms and Armor is a bit above what I'm able to pay.

Thanks very much.
(By the way, the 'search' function turned up no answers to my specific question, which is why I'm posting a new topic rather than simply looking for answers from others.)
Re: Entry-level test-cutting sword?
Eric Dohner wrote:
I'm looking for the best sharp longsword I can find in the $250-300 price range. I've looked at the Windlass offerings at MRL, as well as Albion's Squire line -- which is a bit more than I'd like to pay for my first sword, but certainly worth the money. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Arms and Armor is a bit above what I'm able to pay.

Thanks very much.
(By the way, the 'search' function turned up no answers to my specific question, which is why I'm posting a new topic rather than simply looking for answers from others.)

Eric,
We have over 150 reviews of weapons and armour on our reviews page, including a good number of swords in your price range. That might be a good starting point, as it'll give ideas about quality vs. price.

Happy hunting!
Re: Entry-level test-cutting sword?
Chad Arnow wrote:
Eric Dohner wrote:

Thanks very much.

Eric,
We have over 150 reviews of weapons and armour on our reviews page, including a good number of swords in your price range. That might be a good starting point, as it'll give ideas about quality vs. price.

Happy hunting!

Believe it or not, I've read all of them! :)

I'll have to look harder for the swords in my price range, it seems. Thanks again. :)
Neither Museum Replicas nor the Albion Squire Line are made as sharpened swords. Both can be sharpened by the manufacturers with varying success. If you're specifically looking for test-cutting ability, look hard at Angus Trim Swords. There were some older models available at http://leesarmoury.com/ that were around the $300 mark that would be fine for cutting.
I was aware that Albion's Squire series and MRL swords don't come sharpened -- I planned to have them sharpened. But thank you. I'll certainly take a look at the Angus Trim line.
Hello Eric,

Check myArmoury marketplace, there is a Lady restita on sale for 320$ there. it is pending now but who knows.

Cheers,

Konstantin.
Eric Dohner wrote:
I was aware that Albion's Squire series and MRL swords don't come sharpened -- I planned to have them sharpened. But thank you. I'll certainly take a look at the Angus Trim line.

Yes, however, my point was that even after sharpening, the cutting performance of a sharpened blunt isn't going to be ideal. There are many topics on this forum that discuss the fact that swords designed from the start to be sharps are going to have significantly more success at cutting due to their correct blade geometry. Generally speaking, sharpened blunts have more mass behind their edges and more resistance caused by edge geometry than would be ideal.

I only mention this due to the fact that you indicated you're looking for a sword for use in test cutting exercises. If that is your purpose, I humbly suggest a purpose-specific weapon, ie, a weapon designed from the ground up for cutting.
Quote:
I only mention this due to the fact that you indicated you're looking for a sword for use in test cutting exercises. If that is your purpose, I humbly suggest a purpose-specific weapon, ie, a weapon designed from the ground up for cutting.

Thank you. You are, most likely, quite right. :)
Hey Eric, check out this article. It may steer you toward the info you're looking for.

http://www.myArmoury.com_modreplica.html
If your primary concern is cutting, then I completely agree with Nathan: Angus Trim swords are going to be one of the best values. They are very high quality swords with a focus on handling and test cutting while keeping the price down by not including historically accurate fittings and such.

As Nathan pointed out, you can find some deals at Lee's Armoury, but also don't forget to scan the marketplace for second-hand offerings, as oftentimes you'll find pieces that are being sold in your price range for otherwise almost new swords.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: