Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wanted: Historically Accurate Clothing... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Jared Binder

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jul, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Wanted: Historically Accurate Clothing...         Reply with quote

Can anyone out there give me a some good sources for NOT ridiculously expensive mid-14th century clothes/gambesons, brigandine, open faced bascinets or barbutes and such? I'm starting to put together some ideas for a period costume,
english... a foot soldier or sergeant of infantry or longbowman...

I am already familiar with Revival Clothing and can't afford it unfortunately, and want something a cut above MRL's stuff and am finding not much in-between. At the prices I'm seeing it'll take me YEARS to put a good outfit together. I know this is a common problem for re-enactors and any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S.: My Albion NG Squire is due to arrive tomorrow!!! I will post pics and a review when I get the time. Guess who won't be able to sleep tonight for thoughts of swords dancing in his head... Eek!

Jared Binder
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jul, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Accurate gambesons and brigs don't come cheap. Might check into Medievaldesign for some of the rest of it.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Wed 12 Jul, 2006 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ken Rankin

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jul, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but we have a friend named Laura that does alot of garb, she's really good and her prices aren't too bad:

http://www.greycatdesigns.com/

I think she does custom orders. I mention her because I have seen her work first hand.

Also, believe it or not, Wallyworld has alot of period type patterns, you might be able to get some and find a seamstress in your area, or maybe a SCA member if you want a more authentic garment.

Ken
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jul, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Historic Enterprises will sometimes have package deals on complete outfits. Try bestarmour.com for the metal stuff but be sure to do your research before you order and allow for a liner in any helmets you buy.
Bill

"No matter who wins the rat race.......they are still a rat."
Rod Parsons

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jul, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Making your own?         Reply with quote

You can get patterns, cloth and books on how to do it. Why not learn to make your own?
Rod.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jul, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Making your own?         Reply with quote

Rod Parsons wrote:
You can get patterns, cloth and books on how to do it. Why not learn to make your own?
Rod.

I agree with Rod wholeheartedly; that's what I'm doing for my very early 15th century kit for my LH group. Right now my shirt (100% linen, including the thread, and 100% hand sewn) is done and my braies (also 100% linen and 100% hand sewn) are nearly complete. Next will be my pourpoint/cotehardie/doublet/whatchamacallit, then my split hosen/chausses, and finally, my hood.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Rod Parsons

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jul, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Making your own.         Reply with quote

I have only recently started to do this, first having made a pourpoint and currently making an archers jack.
Perhaps we might build a list of resources for cloth, patterns, books etc?
Rod.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jul, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

DIY! If you can handle a sword properly, you can sew, and the result will be much more personal, better-fitting and authentic-looking than a commercial piece (not to mention a great deal cheaper). You can do it!
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Nathan Hoin

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jul, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to agree with everyone else's do it yourself approach. Believe me, it will save you alot of money, feel much more personal, and it will teach a domestic skill that everyone needs; sewing. Trust me, I just dropped nearly $700 on an outfit from Medieval Design in Italy. While I like the outfit as a whole, what I got was not exactly what I want or expected. There are a couple of design books out there, check out "Medieval Tailors Assistant", a few libaries in my area have it, your's probably will too. Also, clothes from the 14th century are fairly simple to make compared to later garment, in my opinion, so it shouldn't be too difficult (I'm working on a late 16th century piece now, that one's interesting!)
R Smith

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jul, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.matuls.pl/english/english.html

Tomasz at Matuls has established a very good reputation for his work. I am the happy owner of a gambeson made by him as well as some period clothing. I also have another leather gambeson on the way from him.

His prices are extremely reasonable as well. Eastern Europe is the way to go for well made and relatively inexpensive armour and other items for the time being.

"Those with wisdom loathe the one forced to defend." - Liechtenauer

Ars Gladii
Detroit, MI
Nathan Hoin

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jul, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Be careful though, they say their aketons are stuffed with cotton, which isn't a period material. Of course, no one is going to reach into your aketon and notice that it is stuffed with cotton, but it is something to keep in mind.
Thomas O'Neal

Reading list: 19 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jul, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll second Nathan's suggestion of Medieval Tailor's Assistant. If you have never sewn before, dont worry; the book has very good instructions for a first time tailor. I had never sewn anything before attempting a project from this book. The author's instructions made it very simple. Last year, I assembled breas, hose, undertunic, tunic, and hood for less than $100.

If your library doesn't have a copy available, you can purchase one at Amazon.com via myArmoury's bookstore
http://www.myArmoury.com/books/item.php?ASIN=0896762394
Rod Parsons

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jul, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Construction         Reply with quote

A lot of these clothes look like fancy dress shop gear to me. They just are not properly constructed and when you pay top dollar, hopefully proper construction and fitting are what you pay for.
I agree about Sarah Thursfield's "The Medieval Tailor's Assistant" as a primer on basic skills and patterns.

It can be ordered from Paul Meekins here in the UK and he also has sets of period patterns which are a useful starting point for making a toile or two. Good general source of books on related topics including the Osprey titles some of which have useful illustrations. "English Longbowmen 1330- 1515" for instance has some useful drawings of jacks.
www.paulmeekins.co.uk

For genuine linen canvas, the oldest supplier of artists and stage canvas in London is Russell and Chapple who have shirt linen and many types of genuine linen canvas. They will send sample swatches of the various weights and weaves on request.
www.russellandchapple.co.uk

I buy my linen thread, leather and findings from Abbey Saddlery and from J T Batchelors. Tooling leather from Pearce Tandy.
www.abbeysaddlery.co.uk
www.pearcetandy.com

JT Batchelor, 9-10 Culford Mews, Off Balls Pond Road, London N1 4DZ tel: 071 254 2962 Fax: 071 254 0357
You have to visit for a Dickensian shopping experience. "Men in brown coats". Ask for Ted.

A popular fabric supplier with a good selection of woollens is Bernie the Bolt. Email: berniethebolt3@aol.com

I also have the name of a supplier of real kersie, say and frieze, but you would feel faint at the prices. I know I do...

A great Living History site with some costume information and good links is the Companie of St. George
www.companie-of-st-george.ch

Last edited by Rod Parsons on Wed 12 Jul, 2006 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jul, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

if u want historical clothing, sorry but your going to pay top dollar for it if you dont make it. its not rennie cotton clothing, it'll be made from linen wool or silk. where are you located? maybe we can find you a group that will help you get suited up.

a proper brig is going to cost you a min. of 1000 us $

historic enterprices and medieval designs are pretty good for 14th and 15th. i've seen examples of both. MRL sucks, there is NO historical clothing in it period.
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jul, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Hoin wrote:
Be careful though, they say their aketons are stuffed with cotton, which isn't a period material. Of course, no one is going to reach into your aketon and notice that it is stuffed with cotton, but it is something to keep in mind.

I believe cotton was used for this purpose. As I recall, the records of John Lackland include spending for cotton specifically to stuff an aketon.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jul, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix Wang wrote:

I believe cotton was used for this purpose. As I recall, the records of John Lackland include spending for cotton specifically to stuff an aketon.

I believe the word aketon derives from the word for cotton.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Rod Parsons

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jul, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Felix Wang wrote:

I believe the word aketon derives from the word for cotton.

From "al godon" which is arabic for cotton.
Travis Canaday

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jul, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cotton is a new world crop. So it wasn't used in Europe at least until the 1500's.
Travis
Travis Canaday

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jul, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

whoops...

I guess there are both old and new world cotton producing Gossypium species. So the variety from India was used earlier in Europe. It would have been a very exspensive product.

Travis
Allen Johnson

Reading list: 29 books

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jul, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah I just got finished reading 'Nathaniels Nutmeg' (a very good read about the spice race to the East Indes during the 15 & 1600's). it mentions a few times about European crews wanting to trade for the India cotton clothing and it being quite costly.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wanted: Historically Accurate Clothing...
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: