Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Hi Jay

I got all kinds of room in this new house of ours ! What I really need , when money allows, is some nice display cases for them ! But it seems everytime I get any money saved it goes to swords, not the display furniture *g*

Perhaps I need to build my own custom case ..... something like the Kelvingrove has ;-) Mac

Jay Barron wrote:
That's a real treasure, Mac. Congratulations. Do you have a nice place in your new home to display your awesome collection?
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Congratulations Mac. I swear that has to be the best looking two-handed claymore that I've ever seen! Your pics are making me hunger for one of my own.

Thanks Patrick !

I agree, it's the best I've seen too .....
Beyond the fact that it's different , than the average claymore you see about, the execution of what Vince did is nothing short of amazing !

I feel honored to be it's new caretaker , and I sincerly hope you'll get to handle her oneday ! Mac
I may have missed it in this topic, but Mac, did you already receive this sword? When can we see the nice MacDaddy photographs?
She's due in tomorrow .... I'm sure I'll be clogging up the board, with pic's, soon thereafter *g*

Nice to have you back, Chief ! Mac

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I may have missed it in this topic, but Mac, did you already receive this sword? When can we see the nice MacDaddy photographs?
Hi Gang

As promised .... here are some pic's I took of my new Vince Evans claymore !

The sword is super fast, streamlined & light !
The leverage that this hilt provides gives the user incredible power , total control, and lightening speed ..... truely a deadly combination !
( I'd have not blamed anyone for running the other way with things like this flying around the battlefields ;-)
Any doubts that I had, concerning these extra long hilts, were immediately put to rest upon hefting this one ...... I'm a believer now *g*

Vince's workmanship never ceases to amaze me , everything flows, everything works together !
"Beautiful" is just not a big enough word..... God has truely gifted this lad !

Many thanks Vince & Grace , Mac

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Notice how the ash handle is faceted, to match the collars, down where it meets ..... all the lines are just so crisp , and flow together so nicely !

[ Linked Image ]

The 'Orb & Cross' mark on the blade !

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Thu 09 Oct, 2003 12:33 pm; edited 7 times in total
[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Mac
[ Linked Image ]
:eek: ............................ (speechless.)
Congrats, Mac! A fine addition to your collection (by now you must own more arms than a mid-sized clan...). I've been a fan of claymores for many years, but never found one i felt I could afford. Interesting note re: the British Museum sword - the pommel is hollow!
Björn Hellqvist wrote:
Congrats, Mac! A fine addition to your collection (by now you must own more arms than a mid-sized clan...). I've been a fan of claymores for many years, but never found one i felt I could afford. Interesting note re: the British Museum sword - the pommel is hollow!

Thanks Björn & Fredrik !

That is interesting, Björn , as it's such a small pommel proportionately !

This Scot singlehand also has a hollow pommel , but it's alot bigger all around, and on a much smaller sword !

Mac
[ Linked Image ]
Gorgeous sword, as always Mac. I'm constantly impressed by the interesting range Scottish swords you bring to out attention...
Congrats! Great sword Mac! I really like that oval pommel! Thanks for the close-ups, it really shows off Vince's talent!
:eek: Congrats Mac on a pure beauty :eek:
Thanks lads ..... Vince deserves heaps of praise !

Mac

[ Linked Image ]
OK, Mac, I have to ask: The back scabbard?
Scott Bubar wrote:
OK, Mac, I have to ask: The back scabbard?

Hi Scott

I submit this passage for consideration ! Mac

From John Wallace's "Scottish Swords & Dirks" , 1970., page 11, 2nd paragraph :

"During the second half of the sixteenth century, the claymore must have been a common enough weapon.
Apart from being depicted on so many tomb slabs, it is referred obliquely4 as being the weapon carried by large numbers of men
(parties of Scot mercenaries, for instance, who flooded Ireland during the wars there in the sixteenth century).
Incidentally, it seems to have been carried on the back, sheathed, unlike it's larger Continental cousin which was carried scabbardless at the slope".

4.- Referred to as 'slaughter-swords' in Statutes at Large, vol. I, 1569,p.326; as 'sloughe' swords in the Calendar of State Papers, Ireland, 1596-97, pp. 465-6. See hayes-McCoy, op.cit. pp. 10-11. And as 'twa-handit swords' in the Register of the Privy Council of Scotland, III, 505 (1582).
A neat feature, on my claymore's scabbard, is that the bottom suspension loop is able to slide up, or down,
on the sheath to whichever position suits you best !

Pretty cool 'eh , Mac

[ Linked Image ]
It's a very nice scabbard, Mac.

I was thinking Vince might have found something in one of those museums.

I've seen the passage from Wallace (probably from one of your postings?), but he doesn't seem altogether sure of himself here.
Wow, just wow...................

I think that's my favorite of all of your swords from Vince. The more I look at it the more I like it.

I want one :D
Beatuiful sword Mac, congratulations! :D
One question though; what type of finish is on the guard? In some of your pictures it almost looks red, although it could be the light, but it adds a wonderful aesthetic to a gorgeous piece. Vince did an incredible job! :D
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Page 3 of 4

Jump to: