Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > "Double-Edged Sword" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
Max, Clement's book is considered very dated, and he's far from being the most respected fellow in WMAs. Some like him, some reallly don't. But this isn't the place for big debates over individuals. Actually the unfortunte fact is that there isn't such a place.

George,

John may or may not be a respected person in WMA, but that actually has nothing to do with the content of his book. In fact, I'd say that this is little more than an ad hominem attack.

I can also say that John is one of the very best of the Western Martial Artists in the world, both in terms of the knowledge he possesses on the subject (he's got several more books on the way at the moment) and in terms of his skill at sparring and instructing. In a world where most people talk the talk, John walks the walk. I think that's more than can be said for most of us when it comes to historic European martial arts.
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George, thanks a lot for all of the links. Some of this looks really helpful.

But to return to the topic at hand: From my own experience, limited though it may be, it still seems like it's more likely that one would accidentally injure oneself with the leading edge of the blade than with the reverse. I know I've come close to doing that a few times, but I just don't see how it's possible to generate enough force with the reverse edge of the blade to significantly injure oneself unless one is specifically trying to do so.

Vincent, the stuff that you said about the origin of the phrase was very interesting. The only reason I'm proposing the theory of ignorance is that I can think of no other good reason for this phrase's coming into existence. Also, even in 1672, I don't believe (although I could be wrong) that the general public still had to train for war, and all it takes is one person who is ignorant of a weapon to propagate untruthful sayings about said weapon. After all, there are many misconceptions among the general public about modern weapons that are used every day in Iraq and Afghanistan. Some examples:

-the idea that an M16 is a machine gun
-the idea that even an armoured Hummer should be able to withstand a direct hit from an RPG
-the idea that assault rifles can fire on full automatic for very long periods without reloading

And this is in an age where accurate information is much more readily available to the common person. So I would say it is still quite possible that this phrase originated in ignorance. But you're right, it would be very nice indeed if this was the only misconception about swords today.

I suppose what I'm getting at is:

1: I don't think this phrase makes any sense because of my own experience and because of logic (although if anyone actually has or has come close to being injured with the reverse edge of their own blade, I'd be interested to hear it)
2: I am assuming that this phrase came into being because of ignorance simply because I can't think of any other explanation.

If someone can think of a better explanation for its origins, or if anyone actually has been injured severely by the reverse edge of their own blade, I'd be quite willing to reconsider either point.
George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
In a world where most people talk the talk, John walks the walk. .

That's a place where many would very strongly argue with you, but if we go into detail, we'll both end up getting this fine thread locked. It would be best to consider it one of those 'agree to disagree' issues. Personally I wouldn't mind argueing the whole thing from start to finish, but again, it'll start a flame war.

As far as the content of his book, a scholar's level of respect has everything to do with the value of his work.

Max, I think one could easily injury one's self rather badly with a sharp sword. Have you held an espeically sharp one, like an Albion? I have no doubt I could cleave my collarbone in two quite easily with such a blade. (That is, on the backswing.) Also, the M-16, whilst not a machine gun to a professional, Is most certainly a machine gun under the law.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Max von Bargen

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have actually cut with an Albion before. I think it's certainly possible to, for example, cleave one's collarbone in two if it is done intentionally, but I still don't see how a professional warrior could actually make that much of a mistake. I've never come close to doing anything like that, and I have practiced with very clumsy swords indeed (as well as very good ones). I have actually come close to cutting my shins with the leading edge, but those blows had they even struck home would just have drawn a tiny amount of blood and that would be it. A person who has never picked up a sword before might do something like that when they pick up a good sword like an Albion for the first time if they are extremely unlucky, but I don't see how a professional warrior attempting an attack could accidentally hit himself badly enough. Cosmetic damage, probably, maybe taking out an eye if one is extremely unlucky, but I don't see something as serious as cutting any sort of bone. Perhaps I'm just using different techniques, but my blade never comes close enough to my collarbone to hit it with sufficient force. Either it's too far away to actually get close enough quickly enough that I wouldn't be able to stop it, or it's so close that it wouldn't be able to get the momentum going for anything more than a superficial cut. If you're using some sort of technique that I'm not, that might explain our differences of opinion, and it's quite possible.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George, you've derailed this topic. You can take this discussion to another site. I don't want it here. Stop now.

Anything further on the matter can be sent to me via private message.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To be honest, anyone who is whipping in and out of guards so fast that they accidentally cut themselves with the false edge is probably not in control of their cuts during a strike either. And, as both Max and I have suggested, I can only imagine the rankest newbie causing damage to him or herself in this manner.
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rank newbies,
now, that is a fine example of specialized rhetoric. If one has not played with the Sca or other linked organizations, one would wonder what the hell the person is referring to when talking about '' rank newbies''... which brings me back to the issue of language and the topic, which is the meaning of the time honoured expression '' the double edged sword'' or, for our francophone friends '' la lame a deux tranchants'', which is the expression used in the vernacular, moreso than '' a double tranchant'', anyway the point is this: it is an expression, simply an expression, which means that this particular situation can ''cut both ways''. It has nothing to do with the evaluation of a particular individual's swordmanship, but everything to do with the fact that the situation could '' boomerang'', ''swing both ways'' (no sexual inuendoes please), and so on and so forth...just an expression. Taking offense of this expression is somewhat akin to contesting Shakespears' affirmation that '' a rose by any other name would smell as sweet... ''
Any man who has held a blade equally sharpened on both sides knows that it is just as foolish to slide one's hand on one side as the other, both will cut you just as bad, and there lies the image of the double edge, ''les deux tranchants'', no more , no less.This is different than your kitchen or butcher's knife, which only cuts one way.
On another point, the use of english as the ''international language of business'', has nothing to do with linguistic characteristics, just as the use of latin had nothing to do with some innate value back when Rome ruled the world (limited world though the world then was). English became predominant through the combination of british imperial success over the spanish and french, the failure of the germans to break through with their austrian-hungarian allies in the first WW, and the emergence of the ex-american colonies as a military-industrial complex second to none after years of quasi-isolationist policies, though it took the japanese to convince them that it was time to join the rest of the world. Since then, and with the particular tendency of America not to encourage bilingualism, the english language has taken on a role which was quite unforeseen when England was the backwater of Europe in the classical age... but that's the beauty of the history of humanity, it just goes to show that there ain't no master plan.
Anyway that was my two cents worth on the topic, and now I await those who would take umbrage on ''the bull's eye'' as the center of the target as being incorrect as the eye of the bull is not dead center on the poor animal, except in some Picasso frames, or other more colourful expressions that I would not post on this site. As the wise man said: '' sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...''

Regards to all,
Jean-Carle

Bon coeur et bon bras
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jean-Carle: Seems to me that getting into sword handling debates in the context of this expression is looking for answers in the wrong place. ( In agreement with you there. )

Quote:
Any man who has held a blade equally sharpened on both sides knows that it is just as foolish to slide one's hand on one side as the other, both will cut you just as bad, and there lies the image of the double edge, ''les deux tranchants'', no more , no less.

Seems like the best explanation for the origins of the expression so far.

When it comes to double edge sword handling and possible mishaps I think that could be a new topic.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Since then, and with the particular tendency of America not to encourage bilingualism, the english language has taken on a role which was quite unforeseen when England was the backwater of Europe in the classical age...

Actually, I believe the popularity of the English language is because God is an Englishman.

Razz
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle
I think you've summarised the situation very well.
Thanks
Geoff
Max von Bargen

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice insight, Jean-Carle. Goes a long way to explaining this. I made the error of assuming that the phrase referred to powerful cleaving blows on both sides rather than small cuts on both sides.

One discrepancy still exists, though:

Quote:
Any man who has held a blade equally sharpened on both sides knows that it is just as foolish to slide one's hand on one side as the other, both will cut you just as bad, and there lies the image of the double edge, ''les deux tranchants'', no more , no less.This is different than your kitchen or butcher's knife, which only cuts one way.

So if I take the original French meaning correctly, both "edges" of a "double-edged sword" situation are equally bad--not that one is good and one is bad as the English expression goes. Do you think over time and over translation into English, the original phrase lost its meaning and came to mean something that cuts both you and your opponent? Or am I just misunderstanding you?

Regardless, your explanation does make a lot of things much clearer. Thanks very much.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:

On another point, the use of english as the ''international language of business'', has nothing to do with linguistic characteristics, just as the use of latin had nothing to do with some innate value back when Rome ruled the world (limited world though the world then was). English became predominant through the combination of british imperial success over the spanish and french, the failure of the germans to break through with their austrian-hungarian allies in the first WW, and the emergence of the ex-american colonies as a military-industrial complex second to none after years of quasi-isolationist policies, though it took the japanese to convince them that it was time to join the rest of the world. Since then, and with the particular tendency of America not to encourage bilingualism, the english language has taken on a role which was quite unforeseen when England was the backwater of Europe in the classical age... but that's the beauty of the history of humanity, it just goes to show that there ain't no master plan.
Anyway that was my two cents worth on the topic, and now I await those who would take umbrage on ''the bull's eye'' as the center of the target as being incorrect as the eye of the bull is not dead center on the poor animal, except in some Picasso frames, or other more colourful expressions that I would not post on this site. As the wise man said: '' sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...''

Regards to all,
Jean-Carle

You forgot a few other facts: Americans make and market the best media around the world (books, movies and music), we make or are involved in most of the world's trade and we are really, really good at stealing words, phrases and grammer from everyone else's language better than they can do the same with English. ;-)
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Max,
the expression has the same basic meaning in either language. When a lawyer presents an argument for his client which turns out to be double edged, it generally means that even though his purpose was one sided, to advance his case, it just turns out that the argument can be turned against his self interest, and for that reason one should think twice about invoking such an argument. Sometimes you just don't have much choice in the matter as it is the only argument available given the facts of the case at bar, so you go with it and hope the jury, or the presiding judge, prefers your side, or edge, over the side, or edge, which cuts against your self-interests.
Bryce,
I am only competent in two languages, so I would hesitate to guess how spanish, german or italian and russian goes about expanding vocabulary after contacts with other tongues, but I can assure you that the french language assimilates terms from other languages quite regularly. In fact, we in Canada have an ongoing rivalry with the continental french as they will regularly use english terms that we do not. They will say ''le weekend'', we say ''fin de semaine'', they will say ''drugstore'' we use ''pharmacy'', and the list goes on and on. The french call soccer ''football'', and the americans call their game, where they carry the ball in their hands and make forward passes with their hands, where half the players are ineligible to even touch the ball: ''football'', and on it goes. The point I was answering had to do with an affirmation that the use of english as an international medium in the business world had to do with some characteristics of the language itself, rather than the political and economic history of nations. Also I enjoyed your comment about having the best media in the world. I can't say I share your point of view, but I understand how belief systems allow people to make broad statements of like nature. I have american friends who believe that New York has more cultural values to offer than London, Paris and Berlin combined. I have some american friends who do not share that point of view. I enjoy New York, hate Paris and love London, so to each his own, a chacun ses gouts...
Regards to you both,
Jean-Carle Hudon

Bon coeur et bon bras
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know, I pretty much ingnored thes thread when I saw it. I just read through it on a whim, and Jean-Carle's post actually made me stop and think about the phrase.

Huh. That makes sense.

Just to summaraze and coalesce my thoughts: being a "double-edged sword" makes sence when you think of the issue being able to wound used either way--say there's a maker's mark on one side of a sword blade. You can use the sword with the maker's mark on your thumb-side or your fingers side and it works just as well either way. Alternatively, you can cut your opponent with a double-edged sword swinging both "foreward" and "backward" (cutting with the true and false edges).

I think it might be that the phrase is used to mean something that can hurt both the "target" and the "user" that confusion arose that the phrase somehow implies that a double-edged sword is just as dangerous to the user as to the victim.

I think I'll continue to utilize the phrase Happy

thanks, Jean-Carle for that excellent post!
Rod Parsons

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: re:         Reply with quote

The use of the metaphor might have more to do with etiquette than function and there could be an element of punning in the use of the word "double", both in the sense of the character of the act and in the mirroring, having two cutting edges, and so consequences in both directions, returning evil for evil.
Rod.
Max von Bargen

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think someone who uses this phrase in French, where the "double" has a negative connotation (I believe Vincent mentioned that a while back) or who actually knows a good deal about swords is justified in its use. My conclusion now is that it simply shouldn't have been translated from French so literally, and in fact, I'm curious as to why it was translated almost verbatim. I don't know practically any French, but I'm fluent in Spanish, and for most English phrases there are Spanish phrases that mean the same thing but are in different words because (as is the case here) the original meaning doesn't quite translate appropriately.
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In regard to the French usage of "double", it may be worth considering that one way of naming the two edges of a double edged sword is "true edge/false edge". What is false about the false edge anyway? Or even better, the long and short edge - when both are exactly the same length?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Double is also related to saying TWO and TWO as in the expression being TWOFACED.

A different expression, twofaced, and I don't want to confuse the issue even more but I sense, maybe wrongly, some sort of similarities between the two expressions.

With twofaced one could be smiling pleasantly saying something nice about a person and then turn around with and unpleasant expression and trash this same person behing their back.

With two edged sword, we have as in Jean-Carle's example, the use of an argument that is dangerous to use because it might help you if seen one way ( edge ) or against you if seen in another negative way ( other edge ).

So not interchangeble expressions, but somewhat similar in " duality ". Wink

Lets maybe conclude that this is an interesting comparative language discussion and a search for the origins of the expression as well as trying to make complete sense of it, but has little to do with any real life sword handling.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's something I just came across, and as it's directly related....

The Knight's sword, In the semblance of a cross, it symbolizes justice.

Unto a knight is given a sword, which is made in the semblance of a cross to signify that our lord God Vanquished in the cross the death of human linage, to which he was judged for the sins of our first father Adam. Likewise a Knight owes to vanquish and destroy the enemies of the cross by the sword, for chivalry is to maintain justice.

And therefore the sword is made to cut on both sides, to signify that the knight ought with the sword to maintain Chivalry and justice.

It's from Ramond Lull's "Book of Knighthood and Chivalry" Chivalry Bookshelf edition, page 64.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, we know that Roman justice at the time made extensive use of the cross, as the slaves in Spartacus' rebellion came to find out , but I feel that it is a bit twisted to equate the treatment meeted out to Jesus of Nazareth as justice... and this thred also doesn't leave much room for baskethilted swords, nor any other sword which does'nt use the cruciforme hilt configuration... I must admit that I'm not one for reading celestial design into something as mundane and lethal as a sword or a dagger, and straight angled quillons don't make them any more heavenly. I guess I'll settle for the blinfolded lady with the scales as a proper symbol of justice, though I think it fair to say that her blindfold shows what a two edged sword human justice can be: on the one hand her blindfold preserves her from judging by appearances, but by the same token her blindfold may impede her ability to take in the body language of the witnesses and thus miss some important information that should go into the scales of justice....
cheers.

Bon coeur et bon bras

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > "Double-Edged Sword"
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: