Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Combat use of gauntlets? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Marcus G.

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Combat use of gauntlets?         Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anybody here knows anything of the combat use of gauntlets. I have seen some gauntlets in museums with really mean looking knuckle reinforcement bars. Has anybody on this forum actually punched anything with gauntlets on their hands? Would it hurt the puncher as much as the punchee? Could a thick set of gauntlets of vambraces be used to parry with if nessesary?
Marcus G.

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also were the spikey sabatons and elbow guards (don't know a proper name) on some german gothic armours used in combat of were they primarilly for decoration/ intimidation purposes?
Jim Post

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sure, gauntlets can be used offensively. I don't really trust the finger type, but both of my mitten (lobster) gauntlets can take a blow and deliver one as well. Quite excellent against un-armoured opponents. Laughing Out Loud Good gauntlets are one reason the shield was pretty much abandoned by knights, or so it is said, along with the improvement of armour overall. I have indeed struck objects, from walls to armoured opponents, while wearing gauntlets. I've not hurt myself at all.

As to gothic decorations, the long toe on some sabatons is usually attributed to copying the style of shoe that was popular at the time. A more practical application is the ease of sliding the foot into a stirrup while riding. This is why armour meant for foot combat does not have these long, pointy toes. Spikes on elbows can certainly be used offensively, but such a tactic is really only useful against peasants and others without armour.

I've based these observations on references I have in a number of books and on personal experience.

Jim

World's second-youngest curmudgeon
Marcus G.

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thx Jim, ja question that i have had since i first saw some gauntlets at a museum and thought, those would make a heck of a pair of brass (or steel) knuckles.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They certainly could be used offensively, though this likely was not a primary concern. If you look at most 14th century epitaphs and such, you'll notice most knights actually didn't have finger protection, opting more for dexterity over the weapon it would seem. Full fingered gauntlets just didn't seem anywhere near as common as it is with modern recreationists.

Most armored combat relied much more on grappling than strikes. As Jim pointed out, strikes with a gauntlet or sabaton really would only be of any use against an unarmored foe, and odds are strong that an armored opponent would use his weapon before his fists in that case. Against an armored opponent, grappling techniques were much more effective in immobilizing joints than punches and kicks.

Spikes and the like really were more of a stylistic thing, and you'll notice that only certain styles (such as high Gothic armor) tend to be very "spikey".
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The "spikey " of high gothic German armours was ( the term gothic originall reffered to the architecture of the period
on churches and cathedrals but now used as something of a catch all phrase for the period of about 1440 to 1500
or so ) one of several "fashions" of armour to be found in Europe at that time depending on what area you were
in . The Italian "fashion" was for armours of a much more rounded humanesc form or what has come to be known as
"Milanese" as well as producing "Gothic" influenced harness for the export market .

A punch delivered with a gauntlet ( either mitten or finger ) would be very effective against an unarmoured opponent .
Against a well equipped combatant it would more likely unbalance the foe although a well placed hit could certainly
"ring the bell" .

Mention was made earlier of not trusting fingered gauntlets . The effect of a blow from either finger or mitten would
be relatively similar the effect on the wearer of being hit is a different story . The mitten gauntlet is comprised of
a series of lames (plates ) that are riveted to each other to achieve movement thus while the movement of
the individual fingers ( typically but not always the fingers of the leather glove inside were sewn to a leather
tab held in place by rivets on the last or finger tip lame )was limited the abilitey to make fist (whats required to
hold and wield most melee weapons ) was normal so the outside of the hand was completely covered by ridged
plates ( superior when defending against melee weapons ) whereas the individually moving fingers of
fingered gauntlets were small lames affixed to leather strips ( sewn or rivted to the finger tips of the inner leather
glove ) which gave complete freedome of movement to the individual fingers but was nowhere near as ridged .

The points or studds on the knuckles were called Gadling and were found pimarily on hour glass form gauntlets
of the 14th century .
Marcus G.

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Allan, you sure are knowledgeable about armour.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Combat use of gauntlets?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic