myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Indian weapons Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
William P

PostPosted: Fri 01 Aug, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric S wrote:
William P wrote:

for me, the talwar is pretty cool but for me its the unusual pole arms that i like.

I like Indian maces, no other country had as many different types.
Quote:
Indian (mughal) shishpar (flanged mace), 17th century, made entirely of steel, head formed of nine flanges, below a domed finial, and a cylindrical haft with a Khanda sword type basket hilt. Overall length: 79 cm (31 in).

Quote:
Indian shishpar (flanged mace), steel with solid shaft and eight flanged head, 24in.

ooh yeah you have a point there, i just LOVE the idea of a mace with a sword hilt. it just seems like a GREAT idea...
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Fri 01 Aug, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jens
I also have at least some interest in Indian weapons. I had a visit to the national museum in New Delhi 15 years ago, and saw a wide variety spanning considerable time. This was when digital cameras were not numerous and fairly expensive, and I did not take many pictures in the museum. I've been back to India several times since, but have not had the free time I had on that initial trip due to time pressure of the business that was the purpose of the trip.
If you ever go to New Delhi a trip to the national museum would be great for your Indian weaponry appetite. There are quite a number of opportunities in India to learn about the historical conquests and wars, and many fortifications open to tourism that display a variety of historical weaponry.
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
ooh yeah you have a point there, i just LOVE the idea of a mace with a sword hilt. it just seems like a GREAT idea...

The Indian sword hilt maces are quite massive from what I have seen. Something else the Indians did was making combination weapons like the tabar shishpar (axe / mace} and tabar zaghnal (axe / war hammer).

Quote:
Indian shishpar (flanged mace), late 18th/early 19th century. The head composed of seven spirally-mounted blade-like flanges below an ovoid finial. Hollow iron haft with integral semi-basket hilt, the broad guard chased with scroll work, the domed pommel with long, pointed finial.

Quote:
Indian (Deccan) tabar-shishpar, an extremely rare combination axe and eight flanged mace, steel with hollow shaft, 21.75 in.

Quote:
Indian tabar-zaghnal, a combination of a tabar axe and a zaghnal war hammer, all steel construction. 18th-19th century.

Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Indian weapons         Reply with quote

Although they don't use tulwars as weapons Sikhs in India and abroad use them in religious ceremonies nowadays.
Picture below shows Sikh gurus carrying gold-hilted swords but not tulwars during Vaisakhi celebrations in Southall, England, in 2010 (Courtesy of Flickr).

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Jens Nordlunde

PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Correction         Reply with quote

In post 21 I wrote that the marks on the blades of the Aydha Katthis were the sign of 'OM'. It is not, it is the first letters of the name of two rulers of Coorg - Dodda Vira Rajendra and Lingaraja.
The information about 'OM' I got from Hindu Arms and Ritual pp. 234-23, but unfortunately the information is wrong.
See The Journal of The Arms and Armour Society. Vol. XXII, no. 4, September 2017, the UK. Pp. 210-220, and A Passion for Indian Arms, 2016. Pp. 224-225 and 228-230.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Indian weapons
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: