myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Armour Finishes Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 21 Nov, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No problem Tim. I've had mixed results with gun bluing and browning techniques in the past and really wanted something easier and not involving chemicals that were way out of period. So a couple members of my group sat down bored at a small two weekend ren faire and during one of the many breaks during the day (I think there were a total of 25 patrons the entire weekend - no I'm serious) We figured lets experiment. The result of that first experiment was the buckler above. A buddy of mine did his lobster tail that weekend too, but we ran out of stuff to play with until bigger events later on.

The next experiments will probably be in the spring/summer and I'd like to try getting some of the other colors as Nathan and Craig mentioned earlier in the thread. I'd love to get a helmet with that plum/reddish color!

I've heard that you can also heat the metal up to temp using an oven, but I know my wife wouldn't let me as the smell of the cooking linseed oil is an acquired taste. Eek!

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Tim Harris
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 23 Nov, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Last wrote:
I've heard that you can also heat the metal up to temp using an oven, but I know my wife wouldn't let me as the smell of the cooking linseed oil is an acquired taste. Eek!

Indeed you can. Results and times vary according to metal thickness, but I've managed a nice deep blue on hilts just by winding my ordinary electric kitchen oven up to max and leaving the pieces in until they hit the right colour. Much more manageable than an open flame, but probably better for unoiled metal. The aroma of burning linoleum isn't for everyone.

I've also blued a half-armour (in pieces - the breasplate just fitted in) this way. It's not period of course, but a good dose of commercial wax polish while the surface is still warm seals it and deepens the effect a bit.
M. Sommer

PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: pictures?         Reply with quote

Hello, I´ve been looking for 15thC pictures of black armour for some time now, and I´ve found many, but I´m not sure if it´s really black armour or just the way the armours are painted by the artist, because often the weapons are black too in those pictures.
So I´m really looking for 15thC pictures where there´s both black and shiny armour. I hope that somone can help me!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Armour Finishes
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: