Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early Medieval Leather Armour Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There was a pretty good video testing various thicknesses of leather vs sword and axe cuts. I know many of these tests are somewhat useless, but this one seemed pretty accurate.

Tested were 4 weight, 8 weight and 2 layers of 8 weight leather, A piece of hardened leather, treated with hot water (I believe it was originally 8 weight, but shrunk, my guess to a 10-12 weight, Also tested was a similar weight armour made of boiled leather lammalae.

The soft leather offered very little of no resistance vs cuts or thrusts, even the 2 layers of 8 weight leather. 8 weight leather is considered mocassin grade leather, and is the equivalent of the thickest of most modern leather jackets.

The Hard leather piece showed good resistance, was rarely pierced (the axe did so, IIRC a thrust penetrated as well but not deeply. The problem I saw with this is that after even 1 hard blow, the leather piece had a lot of cracks in it. It seems as if it would deteriorate quickly if subjected to much stress. Maybe there were ways to treat it to prevent some of this brittleness, though it seemed real easily stressed.

The leather lammelar resisted cuts and trusts well. The lames were cut some, but not deeply. The axe is the only think that penetrated (or may not have, I forget), and if it penetrated the penetration was not deep whatsoever.

Based on this, here are my thoughts - sot Leather jackets, tunics, etc. offerred little protection vs weapons, likely no better than a layer or two of thick cloth. They may have been used for belts and similar, but seemed somewhat useless as true armour. They are heavier than cloth, probably more expensive, and not much protective value.

Someone mentioned to me that they may have used 13-15 weight soft leather as armour. As the sword easily cut two layers of 8 weight, I'm not sure if this would even de very effective. And I'm not sure how rare or how much leather (meaning it's thick enough for 13-15 weight in only a few areas - rarity effects price) it would take to do this, and this would effect the price, perhaps even making it as expensive as metal armour?

The hardened leather - My thoughts here is that it would be useful, but not have a long battlelife. Now if you get hit once or twice on the shins in a battle, it will last a bit. Maybe this type armour would be a bit on the disposable side, in a campaugn you may not have it around by the end, or you carry some spares. Plus leather does not handle weather well at all.

The lammelar would be effective. The only negatives here though - if it is 8 weight., Lammelar would have some overlap. Not knowing what the overlap is, I'll assume you need 1.5 square feet of lames to make 1 square foot of material, so if this is anywhere near correct you are looking at a weight of 12, maybe 14 with lacing?

In comparison steel weighs about 1.6 pounds for a 1 mm thick 1 foot square piece. My guess is mail weighs slightly less. In the early plate/mail period, it seems 1 mm was a fairly common thickness, going up for torso armour over time, limb armour staying at the 1 mm thickness. So leather lammelar would be lighter than plate or mail, but there is not a huge difference in weight.

Add this to the fact that while the leather lammelar was effective vs blows, metal armour will be more so. Metal armour will also be more survivable, it can handle the blows without being stressed as much, so it can be something that's handed down while the leather lammelar may have to be replaced a few times. The romans make mention of leather armour, stating it gets "soggy" in wet climes, whch would indicate deterioration (I think this was Tacitus).

So what is the reason to use leather lammelar instead of metal - it's not overly light, wears badly, not quite as effective as metal. Price better be a big thing here, but I do recall somewhere where it mentions a leather buff coat cost more than a plate back and breast. I'm not sure how to take this, could the buff coat have been a form of Brigandine?

I would think soft leather as a true form of armour would have been not very useful - when thin as the 4 weight, it provides little better armour than heavy cloth - and weighs and costs more. The thicker types stil are not very resistive, would not be real light anf there is that price factor.

Hardened leather as "plate" - OK for spot protection, short battle life though, and once again how expensive?

The leather lammelar armour - this is not bad, but why not upgrade to leather at least in the long run? Once again I'm not sure what the cost would be. I could see it work nicely in a hide rich metal poor people (Steppe Nomads?).

The one area where I do agree leather may have seen some use - a leather/textile composite armour. The Gambesons are sometimes mentioned as 17 layers or more of linen, not sure if this indluded padding as well. MAybe some of the linen layers could have been leather in some gambesons.
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It really depends on the leather manufacture. I really would not put stock in it without knowing the way it was made.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLGwNY3xMjM&feature=channel

Above is the link.

Not sure what you are referring to how it was manufactured. The hardened part an brittleness is something I'm curious about. We don't know exactly how cuir-boilli was made to my knowledge, though we do have some ideas.

The other issue about leather armour of any type - There are very very few finds of something of this sort. Yes, Leather does not hold up as well over time. But leather shoes are not an uncommon find. Of course, shoes were very common, and leather armour apparently was not, so it's not that you can rule it out completely. But it was certainly not commonplace based on findings, proabably rather rare if using this for evidence.

I do agree to a point with your references about the sagas. While we cannot say it clearly was armour as opposed to clothing, it could have been IMO a composite quilt/leather/cloth type of thing as well.

Im not sure what the thickness of Reindeer hide was. The heavier grade leathers are said to come from cow, moose, and elk. Thinner leathers come from Horse, deer, and goat.

It would seem reindeer would fit on the thinner end, so it would have to be in layers, perhaps with other materials to be effectvee.

Either that or enchanted Wink
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I meant is the leather vegeatable tanned, brain tanned, chrome tanned, etc.?
I agree I think any sort of leather armour would be constructed of more then just leather, perhaps layered with linnen, stuffed with wool, leather with stitched on leather braids, quilted, etc. etc. the list goes on and on
Brawn Barber

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello to all..

'Hi there,
I'm trying to do some research into the extact form of leather armour in the early medieval period, I have been so far amazed at the seeming lack of concrete (or even vague) information on this so was wondering if anyone could help. Detailed descriptions, diagrams or photos of reliable reproduction/museum pieces are eagerly sought. The period I'm interested in is 850-1100 and geographically/culturally norman/saxon/viking or french at a push. I plan on hopefully making a piece/set of armour for re-enactment purposes but my group are pretty stringent on authenticity so I'm trying to get reliable source information to base it on.'

http://www.metmuseum.org/Works_Of_Art/recent_...000.66.asp

We have crafted our own version of this cuirass which does produce a rattling sound. I don't know if this addresses your question or another, but it does however address how long leather has been in use as armour, by whatever name. A combination of a 13/15 oz leather cuirass and/or cuirbouille hardened leather in conjunction with maille would form a formidable blunt/slashing/piercing defense. Many times this would be for training purposes which would prove invaluable, especially near the mid to late 1300s when the crafting of metal armour really began to flourish.

"Cuirbouille", or "courbouille" leather must be crafted from vegetable tanned leather as oil tanned leather by the very tanning process involved prevents the leather from hardening properly for this application. The hardening method can be tricky and has to be precisely worked to prevent the leather from becoming too brittle regardless if water, wax or a combination is used. It can be performed properly to provide maximum protection, minimize brittleness and with an extended life however, if fashioned in the correct manner.

Cheers,

Brawn
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brawn Barber wrote:
'Hi there,
I'm trying to do some research into the extact form of leather armour in the early medieval period, I have been so far amazed at the seeming lack of concrete (or even vague) information on this so was wondering if anyone could help. Detailed descriptions, diagrams or photos of reliable reproduction/museum pieces are eagerly sought. The period I'm interested in is 850-1100 and geographically/culturally norman/saxon/viking or french at a push. I plan on hopefully making a piece/set of armour for re-enactment purposes but my group are pretty stringent on authenticity so I'm trying to get reliable source information to base it on.'

There is no evidence for leather armour dating to this time period in the cultures you mention. The further east you travel the more evidence for leather armour you'll find. It was more common in Eastern Europe and in Asia.

Quote:
http://www.metmuseum.org/Works_Of_Art/recent_acquisitions/1999/co_rec_ancient_2000.66.asp

This is Scythian, at least a thousand years too early, and is made of rawhide not leather.

The earliest documented evidence for cuirbouilli is in the Chanson d'Antioche which dates to around 1185.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I meant is the leather vegeatable tanned, brain tanned, chrome tanned, etc.?

OK, I see your point. I don't know from looking at those samples of leather if you can tell.

But one thing any armour made of leather has IMO - You canot make leather mail of course. Therefor any leather armour has to be supple enough to be worn, and this by itself limits thickness and stiffness.

The leather that is supple (brain tanned or vegetable tanned, but not for too long) can be worn as a garment, but it's protective values are not very good.

The harder types (Vegetable tanned for a long period of time, cuir boilli, etc.) is limited more to spot protection of cuirass type usage. I'm not sure how effective vegetable tanned leather would be, but the boiled leather does have some protective value.

The cost is a question I'm curious of. Anyone have any idea how costly leather was in comparison to mail/plate?

And I'm thinking the cost of a leather garment is much lower than that of what leather type armour would be, just to to the thickness needed and rarity of leather at the upper ends of thickness. Just my guess, but I would think there would only be a few areas on a cow where you could get the 13-15 oz wt. Leather, whcih means you need to kill more cows per square foot of amrour needed.

Quote:
The earliest documented evidence for cuirbouilli is in the Chanson d'Antioche which dates to around 1185

The only thing I'd say here is that it is the first "documented" use of cuir boilli. Could have been around well before that, I would thnik it's not a technological issue. Also, things like cuirboilli breastplates were believed to be worn more often under, the mail, so it's tough to tell from any sources.

There been an argument by some that WIlliam in 1066 appears to be wearing a breastplate under his mail as the image of him looks very stiff in the tapestry. Although IMO that's lendding a bit too much credence to an interpretation of stitching, I'm not sure if you can gicve it any more weight to those who say the tapestry indicates metal rings sown on to leather as they do not interlock in the tapestry, I consider that point a bit foolish.
Brawn Barber

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The emphasis here is that the armour was of leather, is dated as the oldest available and that it was in existence then.
I was addressing how early leather armour had been documented for use.

"Laced with rawhide", not composed of rawhide is what the description reads.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

Whether it is rawhide, cui-boilli or simply leather I don't think makes a difference, as all are a form of animal hide.

The other thing I forgot to mention - the are some references (I forget the source right now) of knights I think in English service but could be France around the 12th century that were wearing "scale armour of horn".

This could be possibly cuir-boilli scales as well, possibly even a form of non-metal lammelar. However the source does not indicate if this was worn in conjunction woth mail either to my best recollection.

This was from one of Ian Heath's books, though I 'm not sure of the source he drew upon.

ISimilar armour is also mentioned in "Hastings 1066", by Christopher Gravett. This armour is worn without any mail underneath.

Anna Commena also mentions the use of scale on occasion, sometimes of Horn by western knights.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just because someone somewhere used a thing doesn't mean that everyone else did too. That logic leads to highlander ninjas. We must go with available evidence. Until someone produces evidence of leather armour during the early medieval period in Western Europe then we cannot say it was used. Leather scale was used long before the Scythians even existed. An example was found in Tut's tomb and is still in the Cairo museum. In any case, a two thousand year old example of Scythian scale armour is hardly evidence for it being used in Medieval Europe.

Horn armour was defnitely used in Europe but the only text that mentions the form it took is a later source mentioning jacks of plates. The earlier references could be scale, or lamellar, or a rudimentary coat of plates. We simply don't know because the texts aren't specific and none have been found in the archaeologial record. I'm not sure how this relates to the exsistence of leather armour though.

The only thing that Bayeux Tapestry can tell us about armour is that mail was fairly common. All else is speculation.

Last edited by Dan Howard on Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
The only thing that Bayeux Tapestry can tell us about armour is that mail was fairly common. All else is speculation.

I'd agree here. There were surely armours of Horn worn, but the mentioning of them in the 12th century may well be because that form of armour was rare enough to deserve mention.

There were probably former Varangians that brought back some metal lammelar from Byzantium with them to Nordic countries. While a few may have worn the lammelar on their return, it certainly does not mean that this was by any means common wear among Nordic Huscarls.
James Barker

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hadrian Coffin wrote:
stuffed with wool

Just FYI anytime you read cotton wool they mean raw cotton; it is a slang term. There is no wool content in the stuffing of any of the extant arming cotes we have.

James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A picture of the supposed Wuttemburg Tournier Helmet, and the Royal Armouries Yearbook 2: "Hardened Leather Armour" text; I've tried getting both, but to no avail, can anyone give me some leads?
Better still, does anyone have an example of them?

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Kristian Fagerström

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nick Trueman wrote:
Hi

Your going to be hard pressed finding any lamellar finds for those cultures. There is only one find in Birka, sweden fpr leather lamellar armour. And that was of steppe origin.
You will have to do rus, and associated steppe peoples persona to be able wear lamellar. There are plenty of examples from russia for this period.
Your best bet is to do rus/viking, even better do khazar or magyar!

Sorry my eye is really sore to continue, this pic is from a steppe nomad burial, prob turkic. Not sure if it is metal or leather.

The Birka lamellar http://fornvannen.se/pdf/2000talet/2004_027.pdf is not leather, but metal. As far as I know, there is not a single leather lameller found in scandinavia.
Omero Bernardone Quinto

PostPosted: Tue 12 Nov, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leather was not so expensive, in 1200 a calf hide cost 26 pence.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Tue 12 Nov, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Calf hide? You make parchment from calf hide. Do you know how many of these would have been needed to make armour? Cuchulain needed seven yearling ox hides just to make a battle girdle (cathchriss). More would have been required to protect the rest of the body. And a yearling ox hide is larger and thicker than calf skin.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Nov, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:
Quote:

Whether it is rawhide, cui-boilli or simply leather I don't think makes a difference, as all are a form of animal hide.

I have to agree with this, one persons leather is another persons rawhide, when it comes to armor people often say "leather" but they could be referring to several different types of animal hide products.

The Japanese seemed to have used animal hide armor during the period mentioned, the description of this armor mentions "leather" but I would assume it is constructed with rawhide.

Quote:
Gyorin kozane haramaki dou.This specimen illustrates a primitive type of Japanese harness. The separate plates are of boiled leather, cut and beaten into pieces shaped like fish scales (gyorin kozane), 1000 AD, restored possibly in the 18th century, from "Catalogue of the Loan Collection of Japanese Armor, Metropolitan Museum of Art", Bashford Dean, Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1903. http://books.google.com/books?id=zV4yAQAAMAAJ...mp;f=false

Dan Howard

PostPosted: Tue 12 Nov, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The description says "boiled leather" which implies cuirbouilli, but I agree that rawhide is more likely. If it was "restored" by Bashford Dean then it may not look anything like it did when originally in use.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Nov, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
The description says "boiled leather" which implies cuirbouilli, but I agree that rawhide is more likely. If it was "restored" by Bashford Dean then it may not look anything like it did when originally in use.

Dan, Dean was describing the exhibit items, he was noting that this particular armor was "restored, possibly in the 18th century". The entire book is available online, Dean specifically uses both "cuir bouilli" and "raw hide" as possible types of animal hide that could have been used on a particular armor, but then he also says "boiled leather" at times so its a bit confusing. On one item he mentions that it is "formed of bands of large plates of boiled leather interlaced with raw hide".

An interesting quote on the early use of leather armor.
Omero Bernardone Quinto

PostPosted: Thu 14 Nov, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry Dan i mean ox hide, not calf hide (bad english), a single ox hide is enough for make several layers, however in ancient time intere siege machine was covered whit leather, if that was so expensive they would have used bronze.
in pre-1135 a Sheep cost 6d in 1268 is 8d, a sheepskin is near 3mm and 1 square meter, im not saying is a prove, i say is not so difficult to make 12mm of leather protection for a little money.

Last edited by Omero Bernardone Quinto on Thu 14 Nov, 2013 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early Medieval Leather Armour
Page 3 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: