Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Swords by E.B. Erickson Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are my ElJay swords: A Stirling basket hilt based on one in the Edinburgh museum mounted on a custom Del Tin blade. The other is a British grenadier's hanger reproduced from one in Neumann's Swords and Blades of the American Revolution. It is mounted on an old "Hadley" made for Colonial Williamsburg back in the 1970's.

Chris

Attachment: 32.61 KB
eBay 017b.jpg

Attachment: 52.69 KB
eBay 020b.jpg

Attachment: 37.54 KB
eBay 016b.jpg

Attachment: 52.89 KB
eBay 012b.jpg

Sic Semper Tyranus
Christopher Ron Covington

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all,

I own a basket hilt made by ElJay. I'm not much of a photographer and I'm not good with digital cameras. I took this photo on my cell phone. The basket is mounted on a 19th century (maybe earlier) broadsword blade. The knuckle bow was made extra wide to have my personal coat of arms (granted in South Africa) applied to it. I still haven't found anyone to add the arms, but I'm sure I will one day. The grip is wood knotwork like on a dirk hilt. I'm sorry the photos suck, but it was the best I could do with a cell phone.

The sketches he sent over to me with some of his thoughts and ideas are works of art themselves. I feel very lucky to own this sword and very lucky to have gone through the process of working with ElJay.

Best regards,

Chris

Attachment: 87.74 KB
basket.jpg

Attachment: 57.84 KB
grip.jpg

Christopher R. Covington
Colin F.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
Good spot on the pommel. You're exactly right. It's the Bolling Hall pommel. In speaking with Ejlay on the design, I wanted a different pommel and I thought that the forward part of the guard had been smashed in and orginallyy it allowed for the fore finger to extend through the front of the basket and under the forte of the blade. Eljay graciously agreed to make something similar to the Bolling Hall find. And in the end I will decorate it with the Bolling Hall as inspiration.

If you need any more help with the Bolling Hall sword (or swords for that matter, there are a few there), I live about 10 minutes away from the Hall itself.

Colin

Melchett - "In short, a German spy is giving away every one of our battle plans."
Cpt. Darling - "You look surprised, Blackadder."
Edmund - "I cerainly am, sir. I didn't realise we had any battle plans."
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Colin...

Thanks so much for the offer. I might take you up on that when I get closer to finishing it out.

take care

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Ron Covington wrote:
I own a basket hilt made by ElJay.

Thank you, Chris, for sharing this with us! I don't think I've seen this one posted anywhere before. I like the blackening. Nice touch. I'd love to see an overall shot if you ever get a chance to photograph it. The addition of the authentic blade makes it that much sweeter.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Christopher Ron Covington

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nathan et al,

Nope you haven't seen it anywhere else except maybe my page on the Broadsword League where I just added it a week or two ago. I'll try to get better photos to do it justice. If I ever find someone to do it I want to have my arms applied in silver, so I thought the blackened hilt would look striking. The antique blade just makes it that much cooler. The sword was intended to be for posterity, an heirloom piece. I think it came together well.

Best regards,

Chris

Christopher R. Covington
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Goerner wrote:
Here are my ElJay swords: A Stirling basket hilt based on one in the Edinburgh museum mounted on a custom Del Tin blade. The other is a British grenadier's hanger reproduced from one in Neumann's Swords and Blades of the American Revolution. It is mounted on an old "Hadley" made for Colonial Williamsburg back in the 1970's

Chris, that pair is stunning. I especially like the appearance of the scabbards and the basket liner you added.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Chris Goerner wrote:
Here are my ElJay swords: A Stirling basket hilt based on one in the Edinburgh museum mounted on a custom Del Tin blade. The other is a British grenadier's hanger reproduced from one in Neumann's Swords and Blades of the American Revolution. It is mounted on an old "Hadley" made for Colonial Williamsburg back in the 1970's

Chris, that pair is stunning. I especially like the appearance of the scabbards and the basket liner you added.

Thanks, Nathan. I was surprised when I added the basket liner just how much it changed the overall appearance of the sword. It looks much better in person than in the photos (oh how I wish I had your talent with a camera!), and yet I am still torn as to whether I like the looks of the sword better with it, or without it. Since I believe the original had a liner, I have opted to keep it. And appearance aside, it feels better in hand with the liner in place.

I based the scabbard decorations on originals from the period. When I started doing research on period pieces, I was a bit surprised to see how often they were decorated with repeating embossed or carved designs. Now my other scabbards look naked to my eye in comparison.

Thanks for starting this thread. You and I have spoken before on how ElJay is able to capture the look and feel of original pieces in a way that goes beyond a purely technical accuracy into the realm of artistry. It is great to see all the varied pieces ElJay has produced.

Sic Semper Tyranus
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Ron Covington wrote:
I own a basket hilt made by ElJay.

Chris, I must congratulate you! That's probably one of the finest "conventional" style basket hilt I've seen for years. Stunning!
Did Eljay carve the handle as well?! I'm VERY impressed!
If you the chance to take more photos, I'm also interested in seeing them.

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is my new ElJay baskethilt (new to me) mounted with a backsword blade by John Lundemo. Just arrived yesterday. ElJay nicknamed this Walter Allan basket "the football hilt", it is in Mazansky and is part of the collection at the Chicago Institute of Art. Original probably made sometime between the '15 and the '45. tr

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom, that is absolutely beautiful. Really, really great.
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yessiree! That's why I hang onto this board (among other reasons)! Outstanding work, and I'm VERY jealous, Thom. I haven't any of Eljay's pieces in my collection, but I know what I'll be ordering when things turn around. I simply LOVE Allen hilt swords - the artistry is sooo beautiful. Bravo!
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom,

That is truly stunning.

I think that has to be my favorite Stirling hilt, and ElJay did an absolutely wonderful job in recreating it. I really like the blade you have mounted it on as well -- good choice!

There aren't many swords I am envious of, but this one is definitely at the top of the list!

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just received my new EB Erickson hilt and posted some detailed thoughts about it with photos.

Check it out: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=18817

Please, anyone else receiving work from EBE that hasn't posted in this topic, do so!

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are two additional EB Erickson hilts that were made for Angus Trim in March 2007. Gus mounted these hilts to blades and sold them to their owners.

Anyone here own either of these? Send me a message!

And here is an S-Hilt made in 2005:

David Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 05 Aug, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Doh, I shoulda posted this here. Oh well, here it is: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=20148
David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Aug, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Pinch of Snuff         Reply with quote

You've seen this before, but it's worth posting again. EB Erickson Pinch of Snuff dated 2003.

Attachment: 139.95 KB
DSC00007.JPG

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 07 Aug, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Pinch of Snuff         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
You've seen this before, but it's worth posting again. EB Erickson Pinch of Snuff dated 2003.

It's nice to see that one again!

Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sat 07 Aug, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pinch of Snuff         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:

It's nice to see that one again!

I'll second that -- Steve's POS is one of my favorite pieces by ElJay. The man really knows how to capture the look (and feel) of the originals.

Sic Semper Tyranus
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I received a new EB Erickson sword and have posted some thoughts about it with photos.

Check it out: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=20514

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Swords by E.B. Erickson
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: