Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Let's come up with some cash for the site Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:
And the goal is reached ! Wink

From all of us... thank you sir!!! For all the rest of you... outstanding work gentlemen. Proof that in a pinch we can get it done! For all the rest of you who did not donate.... Please consider it next time. There is no reason only a few should have to do the heavy lifting.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm I see that we have exceeded our goal! Excellent. That will be that much less we will have to raise next year. Outstanding work gentlemen! (Ladies too, my apologies no intent to be sexist!)
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
So Nathan, do you still need to sell that regent?

Well, I was just discussing this with another member who sent me a private message about it. Yeah. I think I will still sell it. It seems tacky to put it up for the reason of earning cash for the site then taking it down after people come forward to help out. It could be interpreted as guilting people into donating and that just feels dirty. So I think I'll still sell it, collect the money, and use it for other site-related things over the course of the next few months. The site isn't cheap for me to run and there is a lot I still want to do and get out the doors.

Well it would be a strategy for next year's fund raising to hold a beautiful sword in one hand and a disk grinder in the other in a pic with the caption:

DONATE or the sword gets cut to pieces. Razz Sort of a save this sword from destruction campaign ! A bit like a ransom . Eek!
( O.K. I have a warped mind. Wink )

But seriously Nathan you shouldn't feel that you HAVE to sell it ! But to anybody interested the price is now hard to resist.

Too bad I have too many things on order already so I have to be " reasonable " and budget for a change.

Now I have to go and see what the total is. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Mon 16 Oct, 2006 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Torsten F.H. Wilke

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry everyone, right now is a VERY bad time for me to donate. My heart says yes, but my situation says otherwise. Does the thought count for anything at this time, lol. Many thanks to those making all this possible...
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Torsten F.H. Wilke wrote:
Sorry everyone, right now is a VERY bad time for me to donate. My heart says yes, but my situation says otherwise. Does the thought count for anything at this time, lol. Many thanks to those making all this possible...

Don't worry about it the sentiment is enough. Big Grin Cool

Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I tried to donate and I keep getting this message.
Quote:
The amount or the currency you entered is wrong.

Click Here to try again

Click Here to return to the Index

What am I doing wrong? I'm donating in good ol' US dollars which is the only option, and unless there is a set amount of greater than $30 as the minimum, I don't know how the amount can be wrong. Confused

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
I tried to donate and I keep getting this message.
Quote:
The amount or the currency you entered is wrong.

Click Here to try again

Click Here to return to the Index

What am I doing wrong? I'm donating in good ol' US dollars which is the only option, and unless there is a set amount of greater than $30 as the minimum, I don't know how the amount can be wrong. Confused

Are you putting a dollar sign or something in there? Just enter a numerical value...

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also,use the decimal, as in 30.00
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.G. Hopkins wrote:
What do the member donations stats look like now? What percentage of active members have given towards the current goal? I think it might be worth tracking this over time in order to measure the success of possible future fund drives.

If I counted correctly, we're still at less than 1% of registered users. We have 47 donors for this goal out of (now) 5962 users, putting us at 0.7%.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Torsten F.H. Wilke wrote:

It's understandable that there are some folks in a situation at the moment where they cannot donate this year. No less is thought of them. However the folks that can donate, use this site on a regular basis and do not see fit to even drop 5 dollars? Bad juju... very bad juju... Happy

Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
J.G. Hopkins wrote:
What do the member donations stats look like now? What percentage of active members have given towards the current goal? I think it might be worth tracking this over time in order to measure the success of possible future fund drives.

If I counted correctly, we're still at less than 1% of registered users. We have 47 donors for this goal out of (now) 5962 users, putting us at 0.7%.

Thanks, Chad. Just think if half of the users donated a dollar or two...

I wonder what the statistics for PBS viewers and donors look like. I think average alumni giving at colleges and universities averages between 15% and 20% of all alumni (of course there are places that have higher participation rates and places that have lower participation rates). .

I am thrilled that last nigt went as smashingly as it did. myArmoury received over $500 in about a five hour period--incredible! I hope we can maintain some positive restlessness around the issue of funding this site, meaning that we do not rest on our laurels, and that we keep the wellfare of myArmoury in mind throughout the year (but let's still think a lot about swords and the really fun stuff!).

Jonathan
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cash can be hard to come by, but there are other ways to contribute to the site. Good use of a little free time can produce a review, article or other content. That kind of contribution is very welcome and a good option for folks with more time than money.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Matt G

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another way folks could contribute would be to donate a portion (or all Big Grin ) of the proceeds for items sold using the marketplace forum to myArmoury's war chest.

If I had just used the marketplace to sell an item, I'd feel really good about giving back to myArmoury which allowed me to make the sale possible in the first place.

I'm sure many of us have a few "arms and armor" related things lying around that we could give up for the greater good. (e.g. Books, sword fittings, a production sword that's been sitting in the closet).

"Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannon-balls and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today."

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally, I am very glad to see the goal was reached and I hope next year it will not come down to the last few weeks like this in the future. Maybe a few donations earlier in the year could offset this?

Bob

Last edited by Bob Burns on Tue 17 Oct, 2006 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi everybody

I just paid the hosting bill for the next year. I didn't do any upgrades, but just paid the bill. I can upgrade at any time and will do that once I figure out exactly what level I can afford and how to do it, etc. etc. The next step will be to do an upgrade so the performance of the site improves, but getting the base hosting paid for is so nice to get off my chest and out the door.

Thank you!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
J.G. Hopkins wrote:

There could be even more donations coming. I used PayPal early yesterday evening and my donation still isn't showing up and I haven't received any e-mails from PayPal regarding the transaction. My PayPal account shows the transaction but it is listed as "uncleared" with an estimated clearance date of 10/19/2006. I've never had a PayPal payment do that but hopefully that means my donation will be officially sent on the 19th.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Lampe wrote:
There could be even more donations coming. I used PayPal early yesterday evening and my donation still isn't showing up and I haven't received any e-mails from PayPal regarding the transaction. My PayPal account shows the transaction but it is listed as "uncleared" with an estimated clearance date of 10/19/2006. I've never had a PayPal payment do that but hopefully that means my donation will be officially sent on the 19th.

PayPal does this when you send money via an "eCheck" rather than through a credit card or via a direct bank transfer. Like other checks, this eCheck takes some time to clear.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just sent in my donation, too. Hehe.. no, really, I sold my Regent sword. I don't want all you guys thinking you're the only ones flipping the bills for this silly place. Happy

Seriously, though, I appreciate the support. I like this project and really do want to keep it around.

Cheers to all who donate their hard-earned cash to this project. I'll keep trying my best to do my part in keeping it going and growing.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe as well as an annual fund drive there could be some sort of ongoing funding ? Maybe a monthly tally & objective for those months between the main annual effort that should correspond to the last 2 or 3 months before the hosting bill is due.

Just having a monthly focus might spread out the fund drive and maybe the final yearly drive objective could be the remaining money needed and lower.

Any extra funds mean improved hosting features and more money for special projects or research, travel, museum visits, making contacts i.e. P.R. opening doors to viewing and measuring swords or other weapons in storage ? Who knows what the possibilities might be with enough cash.

In time and with sufficient cash flow maybe publishing research papers or even books might become possible or some sort of Foundation like a " National Geographic for swords " and historical research ? O.K. maybe way too ambitious and premature, but at some point myArmoury could become self-sustaining with an actual paid staff, board of governors or something like it to keep it going indefinitely.

At the moment it's Nathan's baby but maybe some day it can grow up and move out of the house. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jul, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey gang,
Nine months ago at this time we pulled through at the last minute to raise funds to help Nathan keep myArmoury going. It was exhilarating to watch the donation total grow every hour, and to see the goal surpassed. Although we came through, Nathan still sold a sword so that he could contribute towards the site. I just thought I would revive this thread to remind people that now is a good time to start to think about contributing financially to myArmoury (and make sure Nathan only sells when he wants to!) We've got time (I think), I just wanted to plant that seed in our collective heads.

Best,
Jonathan

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Let's come up with some cash for the site
Page 2 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: