Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Manouchehr M. wrote:
[
HI Russ

I have seen a number of bronze scabbards of Luristan dirks that are preserved. Of course only the bronze sheet. Parts of fossilized wood remains as well.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Ahhh is the scabbard all bronze then? I couldn't tell from the pictures. That would certainly explain the preservation!
Sword made for Louis VIII

French work 1614

That is a marvellous sword.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Attachment: 85.96 KB
Pic239.JPG

Attachment: 115.74 KB
Pic241.JPG

Attachment: 96.36 KB
Pic242.JPG

Attachment: 97.38 KB
Pic243.JPG

Attachment: 119.45 KB
Pic244.JPG

Attachment: 110.48 KB
Pic245.JPG

Russ Ellis wrote:
Manouchehr M. wrote:
[
HI Russ

I have seen a number of bronze scabbards of Luristan dirks that are preserved. Of course only the bronze sheet. Parts of fossilized wood remains as well.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Ahhh is the scabbard all bronze then? I couldn't tell from the pictures. That would certainly explain the preservation!

Yes Russ, it is made of bronze. I also handled the fossilized wooden scabbard of an akenakes. That happens seldom though.

KInd regards

Manouchehr
Manouchehr M. wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:
Jeroen Zuiderwijk wrote:
Quote:
You are welcome. That bronze sword is truly amazing. Have you seen similar examples of it?
Pehaps I can answer that one. The blade on this sword is a typical for LBA carp's tongue sword. The hilt and scabbard are unique however. It's possible that other organic hilted swords of this type had similar shaped hilts, but I've never seen preserved examples. So far I've only known this sword from a small line drawing, so it's great to finally have a photo of the real thing. Thanks! :)

So far as you know that scabbard is original? How in the world was it preserved if you know? Thanks!

HI Russ

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Yeah, this is a bronze scabbard as well by the looks of it. In Itally quite a lot of bronze scabbards are found from this period, usually for smaller daggers. They are different in style though. The fourth image here shows some examples:
http://z8.invisionfree.com/Bronze_Age_Center/...wtopic=562
Mind that complete wooden scabbards remain from Denmark in perfect condition, and several leather ones of which some in great condition.
Manouchehr M. wrote:
Yes Russ, it is made of bronze. I also handled the fossilized wooden scabbard of an akenakes. That happens seldom though.
Do you have any pictures of this?
Jeroen Zuiderwijk wrote:
Manouchehr M. wrote:

Yes I do. This appears, one of 520 artifacts, in my book Arms and Armor from Iran. With all the pictures and dimesnions. Sorry I cannot post pictures here due to copyright. I have handled other items from the Museum ob Bonyad that will appear in my next book. Lots of bronze items. Some with scabbards.

KInd regards

Manouchehr.
Quote:

Yeah, this is a bronze scabbard as well by the looks of it. In Itally quite a lot of bronze scabbards are found from this period, usually for smaller daggers. They are different in style though. The fourth image here shows some examples:
http://z8.invisionfree.com/Bronze_Age_Center/...wtopic=562
Mind that complete wooden scabbards remain from Denmark in perfect condition, and several leather ones of which some in great condition.

Thank you Jeoren for the information. I really appreciate it.

KInd regards

Manouchehr
Manouchehr M. wrote:

Yes I do. This appears, one of 520 artifacts, in my book Arms and Armor from Iran. With all the pictures and dimesnions. Sorry I cannot post pictures here due to copyright. I have handled other items from the Museum ob Bonyad that will appear in my next book. Lots of bronze items. Some with scabbards.

KInd regards

Manouchehr.

Interesting, I'm going to have to go look and see if it is available on Amazon.

Jeroen,

Can you point me in the direction of the other wood and leather scabbards that you have seen pictures of? I've dug around online a bit but still come up with very little like we talked about last time...
Russ Ellis wrote:
Manouchehr M. wrote:

KInd regards

Manouchehr.

Interesting, I'm going to have to go look and see if it is available on Amazon.

Jeroen,

Can you point me in the direction of the other wood and leather scabbards that you have seen pictures of? I've dug around online a bit but still come up with very little like we talked about last time...

Thank you Russ for your kind words. I really appreciate it.

Kind regards

Manouchehr
Gentlemen,

Look at this armour. This is really magnificent.

Armour of the King Louis XIII

French work 1620-1630.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Attachment: 76.72 KB
Pic246.JPG

Attachment: 93.3 KB
Pic247.JPG

Attachment: 106.98 KB
Pic248.JPG

Armour related to Sully

French work, 1630

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Attachment: 100.68 KB
Pic249.JPG

Attachment: 99.83 KB
Pic250.JPG

Attachment: 84.5 KB
Pic251.JPG

Attachment: 85.11 KB
Pic252.JPG

Attachment: 88.2 KB
Pic253.JPG

Manouchehr M. wrote:
Jeroen Zuiderwijk wrote:
Manouchehr M. wrote:

Yes I do. This appears, one of 520 artifacts, in my book Arms and Armor from Iran. With all the pictures and dimesnions. Sorry I cannot post pictures here due to copyright.
Ah, I understand :) I got to get a copy someday, but for the time being it's out of my budget.
Look carefully at the gauntlets of the harness of Louis XIII just posted. They look as though they are attached by 'turners', a very rare feature. I am surprised any were made this late.
James Arlen Gillaspie wrote:
Look carefully at the gauntlets of the harness of Louis XIII just posted. They look as though they are attached by 'turners', a very rare feature. I am surprised any were made this late.

That they are! How cool! Thanks for posting that, James. I had failed to notice them, and that sort of thing is something that I'm looking for these days.

Cheers!

Gordon
Jeroen Zuiderwijk wrote:
Manouchehr M. wrote:
Jeroen Zuiderwijk wrote:
Manouchehr M. wrote:

Yes I do. This appears, one of 520 artifacts, in my book Arms and Armor from Iran. With all the pictures and dimesnions. Sorry I cannot post pictures here due to copyright.
Ah, I understand :) I got to get a copy someday, but for the time being it's out of my budget.

Thank you Jeroen for your kind support. I really appreciate it.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

James,

Excellent input. THis way I can learn a lot. What are turners? :) Could you explain this feature?

Gentlemen please add your comments to the pieces i Have posted so far. I have taken so many pictures so that we can all discuss and learn from that? Thank you very much.

Thanks again James.

Kind regards

Manouchehr
Gordon Frye wrote:

That they are! How cool! Thanks for posting that, James. I had failed to notice them, and that sort of thing is something that I'm looking for these days.

Cheers!

Gordon

Gordon

Are you making or having an armour made for you with this feature (if I may ask)?

Kind regards

Manouchehr
Let us continue with the pictures my friends.

THis is a buckler made by Thomas Merlin in 1673. Who is this perosn? Where did they use such bucklers?

KInd regards

Manouchehr

Attachment: 74.98 KB
Pic254.JPG

Attachment: 94.29 KB
Pic255.JPG

Half armor. French work around 1630

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Attachment: 89.91 KB
Pic256.JPG

Attachment: 106.07 KB
Pic257.JPG

Attachment: 95.85 KB
Pic258.JPG

Attachment: 78.35 KB
Pic259.JPG

Manouchehr M. wrote:

Gordon

Are you making or having an armour made for you with this feature (if I may ask)?

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Manouchehr;

I would dearly LOVE to have an armour made with rotating cuffs for gauntlets, but as of now, I just gaze upon them with delight, and enjoy them. "One of these days.." as they say.

I also appreciate you're posting the photographs of the duc de Sully's armour. Quite an interesting character he was, right up there with Henri IV himself (though not nearly as flamboyant!). I find those other "demi-armours" quite nice to look at as well. Thank you.

Cheers!

Gordon
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Page 10 of 20

Jump to: