Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Dear friends,

Some terminology from the 16 century arms and armor.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Attachment: 88.66 KB
Pic470.JPG

Attachment: 76.89 KB
Pic472.JPG

Attachment: 96.66 KB
[ Download ]
Dear friends,

The next half-armor is really strange it has a hat.

French work 1630

Have you seen such an armoured hat before?

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Attachment: 95.07 KB
Pic473.JPG

Seems like someone took the appellation "chapel de fer" literally. Very dandy, I must say. :)

Manouchehr, I must admit that for some obscure reason, I'm quite taken by this particular armor :

[ Linked Image ]

Do you know if it belonged to Galiot de Genouillac also ?
Hugo Voisine wrote:
Seems like someone took the appellation "chapel de fer" literally. Very dandy, I must say. :)

Manouchehr, I must admit that for some obscure reason, I'm quite taken by this particular armor :

[ Linked Image ]

Do you know if it belonged to Galiot de Genouillac also ?

Hugo,

Thank you very much for your input.

This armor is really marvellous. THis is armor related to Bayard
French or Milanese work around 1520. For further details please see the attached picture.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Attachment: 57.15 KB
Pic474.JPG

Armour

French work around 1600-1610

Kind regards

Manouchehr Moshtagh Khorasani

Attachment: 50.03 KB
Pic475.JPG

Attachment: 83.21 KB
Pic476.JPG

Half armour made for the Duke of Epemon (1554-1642)

French work 1606

Who was this Duke?

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Attachment: 102.76 KB
Pic477.JPG

Attachment: 85.29 KB
Pic478.JPG

Armour

French work 1600-1625

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Attachment: 30.09 KB
Pic479.JPG

Attachment: 69.65 KB
Pic480.JPG

Cuirassier armour (Holland Type)
Dutch work (ß) around 1630
Could you please explain more about this type? Thanks.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Attachment: 35.56 KB
Pic481.JPG

Attachment: 71.04 KB
Pic482.JPG

Manouchehr;

The "Dutch Style" armour for Cuirassiers, who were also called "Pistoliers", or earlier "Reiters" (from "Schwarze-reiter" or Black Riders so-called from their blackened armour) is a little more square in form that the French style, or German styles of armour from the early 17th Century. At least they look that way to me. They seem to show somewhat more massive pauldrons (shoulder protection) and a different silhouette for the waist and hips than the French and German style armours. For what reasons other than fashion, I couldn't tell you why, frankly. This particular piece shows what was often called a "Savoyard" helmet, with the large eyes openings, rather than slots such as the close-helmets usually have. Since most of the weapons in use by this time in cavalry fights were pistols and swords rather than lances, there was some sense to this change over.

Thank you again for these continued postings of wonderful armours and weapons. It is appreciated!

Cheers!

Gordon
Another diffrence in styles is that the Dutch pattern armour was made with permanently attached cuissies while the French and German styles often were delivered with detachable tigh defences. Dutch armour delivered to Sweden were supposed to have the detachable cuisses in order to allwo the Cuirassier to serve of foot or lighten his equipment in the field.
Gordon Frye wrote:
Manouchehr;

The "Dutch Style" armour for Cuirassiers, who were also called "Pistoliers", or earlier "Reiters" (from "Schwarze-reiter" or Black Riders so-called from their blackened armour) is a little more square in form that the French style, or German styles of armour from the early 17th Century. At least they look that way to me. They seem to show somewhat more massive pauldrons (shoulder protection) and a different silhouette for the waist and hips than the French and German style armours. For what reasons other than fashion, I couldn't tell you why, frankly. This particular piece shows what was often called a "Savoyard" helmet, with the large eyes openings, rather than slots such as the close-helmets usually have. Since most of the weapons in use by this time in cavalry fights were pistols and swords rather than lances, there was some sense to this change over.

Thank you again for these continued postings of wonderful armours and weapons. It is appreciated!

Cheers!

Gordon

Thank you very much Gordon for your excellent input. I really appreciate it.

Kind regards

Manouchehr
Daniel Staberg wrote:
Another diffrence in styles is that the Dutch pattern armour was made with permanently attached cuissies while the French and German styles often were delivered with detachable tigh defences. Dutch armour delivered to Sweden were supposed to have the detachable cuisses in order to allwo the Cuirassier to serve of foot or lighten his equipment in the field.

Thank you very much Daniel for your iput.

Kind regards

Manouchehr
Savoyard helmets

Northern Italy around 1620

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Attachment: 72.25 KB
Pic483.JPG

Attachment: 91.27 KB
Pic484.JPG

Attachment: 60.4 KB
Pic487.JPG

Attachment: 55.7 KB
Pic488.JPG

Attachment: 86.04 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 96.33 KB
[ Download ]
Manouchehr M. wrote:
Burgonet made for Anne de Montmorency
French work around 1550

Who is this person?

Quote:
Montgomery then shot the Constable with his pistol for the foolish act, and the old man died several days later.

Actually, on the other side of this helmet Manoucher posted a picture of, you can see the hole left by the fatal bullet.
Fabrice Cognot wrote:

Actually, on the other side of this helmet Manoucher posted a picture of, you can see the hole left by the fatal bullet.

Thanks Fabrice! I had assumed that the old Constable had been shot in the side, or elsewhere, since the other photo's I've seen of the burgonet are from the same view and show it to be undamaged.. Thanks for the information!

Cheers!

Gordon
Hello, Manouchehr,

A 'lame' is an individual piece of metal that makes up a part of plate armour. The fauld consists of the lames that protect the abdomen.

Hugo, well might you be drawn to that particular harness. Bayard was one of the mightiest knights of all time!
Yes, I did some research after Manouchehr posted the photo of the notice accompanying the armor.

It seems that Pierre Terrail of Bayard was quite a character. I wish someone could make a movie about his life. :)
Hugo;

Bayard's life made a great book, so it ought to make a great movie if at all done properly. After all, it IS about "The Great Bayard"! "The Loyal Servitor" is the book's name, and was VERY popular over the centuries.

Cheers!

Gordon
Gordon Frye wrote:
Hugo;

Bayard's life made a great book, so it ought to make a great movie if at all done properly. After all, it IS about "The Great Bayard"! "The Loyal Servitor" is the book's name, and was VERY popular over the centuries.

Cheers!

Gordon

I vaguely remember a film about Bayard that I may have seen on local French T.V. a long long time ago.

A film made in France pre-1960 probably and maybe made decades earlier: So there may be a " Classic " French film on Bayard out there but I have no idea if it would be available on VHS or DVD ? One would have to search European DVD sites or film history sites to maybe find it. ( Might not be available in a format playable in a DVD for the North American region even if one exists in Europe ? )
James Arlen Gillaspie wrote:
Hello, Manouchehr,

A 'lame' is an individual piece of metal that makes up a part of plate armour. The fauld consists of the lames that protect the abdomen.

Thank you very much James, I really appreciate it.

Kind regards

Manouchehr
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Page 16 of 20

Jump to: