An Antique 18th/19th Century Spadroon
As mentioned in another thread, Repair of an Antique Blade, I recently purchased an antique spadroon. The blade of the spadroon, as noted in the other thread, has a crack about 18 inches from the cross. However, the patina is nice, the hilt has an attractuve form IMO, the ebony of the grip is in excellent shape, and so is the wire wrap. In that other thread,
Glen A Cleeton wrote:
... Can we get more pictures of goodness??

In an effort to oblige Glen's request, I did a quick photo shoot this afternoon, and posted the photos in a user album. Here is one of the photos:
[ Linked Image ]
I hope you enjoy the pictures. I don't think these photos are quite up to the "hands-on review" quality that we have come to expect at myArmoury, but I hope they will give everyone a better flavor for the piece.
That's a beauty you've got there Steve.
Great photos, Steve! Thanks for sharing.

Jonathan
Hi Steve,

Thanks for those. You might also want to archive the sales photos. I wish I had saved the photos from a previous location of this sword. I think this style embodies a true fighting form of the spadroon. Very handsome utility displayed in this hilt.

Cheers

GC
Steve,

Is the blade engraved ? Any maker's name stamped on the spine ? The facetting on the backpiece and ferrule is a pretty good indication that it is an officer's sword rather than a sergeants,
D Critchley wrote:
... Is the blade engraved ? Any maker's name stamped on the spine ? The facetting on the backpiece and ferrule is a pretty good indication that it is an officer's sword rather than a sergeants,

I don't see any sign of engraving on the blade or markings on the spine. The blade, in a certain light, shows some fine scratches running in the direction of the blade length, which I gather is evidence of cleaning over the years. Perhaps there was engraving, but it been erased over time? As for the spine, the patina seems relatively heavy there, compared with the flat of the blade. Perhaps there is/was something on the spine, but I don't seen it.
Your comment about the facetting is interesting - I find that feature very attractive, and that is one of the reasons I bought the sword.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: