Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Nathan Robinson wrote:
He's also recently completed a Celtic sword

That's my celtic sword that's up now. Patrick did some nice work on it. I have a detail pic of the point, but it's too large to post.

As for Jeremy's question of weight, this one is under 2lbs, which is quite good and authentic for the piece and time period.

Some of the Ohio forumites have gotten to handle this one at the last Columbus gathering, as well as some folks at Roman Days---if folks want a less biased evaluation of the piece :D
Nathan Robinson wrote:
This sword features a pattern-welded blade and an iron scabbard

Just a question, how historical were iron scabbards on euro blades of that period?

Its a very nice piece thats for sure, and I dont have to say anything about the other one bar that I love it!!! :p
Robert W. Betten wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Just a question, how historical were iron scabbards on euro blades of that period?

I've seen a few from the Migration Era in European museums.
Robert W. Betten wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

"Celtic" swords in Continental Europe were very, very often found in iron scabbards, and occasionally in bronze ones. lIterally hundreds have been found with iron scabbards in sites like La Tene, Gournay, and Manching.

Other cultural groups varied in the amount of metal on the scabbard during this time span.
Thanks alot for the info, would they be lined with wool, wood??? I think its a pretty cool concept having a sturdy iron scabbard...
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Page 3 of 3

Jump to: