Hanwei Practical 11th Century Sword
http://www.blades-uk.com/view_items.php?cat_id=15&start=20

http://www.southernswords.co.uk/paulchen-re-enactment.html

I was having a browse on the Blades UK website and I came across this model in the Paul Chen section. Has anybody seen or handled this weapon before?

It does not seem to be in the offical catlogue yet, but there are a few sites that have it on offer. The number is SH2326.

[ Linked Image ]

Image is copyright of Hanwei.

Anybody have any opinions on it? Does it look like a good reproduction for the price etc etc?

Weight is 2lbs 1oz. (give or take a little) and it's got a length of 36.2 inch over all with a 30.1 inch blade.
I just got one of the Viking practical swords. I have had one before which have a very nicely shaped blade with a fuller running the full length of the blade. This time the sword does not have a fuller. In fact the blade looks almost like the one in the photo you have attached to your post. Instead it has two groves which could be called fullers, I guess, running the length of the sword on the edge. The tip is different and the sheath comes with two detachable hanging rings, something that would not have been found on a Viking sword. Fortunately they are detachable. Overall I am extremely disappointed. The blade is very unattractive and, while it seems to handle OK, I am not sure that it will hold up as well as the old style. Of course, the opposite could be true and that may be why they have changed the configuration.

The grip, guard and pommel seem to be much like the old swords, but that blade is just not as eye-catching or authentic. I think I will have to write a stern letter of protest.

The attachment is the old style blade.

Attachment: 13.68 KB
PracVik.jpg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: