Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ladoga

Yep, know what you mean, though some early magyar types are really hard to distinguish. Interestingly this belt which I modeled and cast share a very similiar plaque? As you can see the pendant plaque is almost spot on. These were copied from a khazar mould for plaques found in Kiev circa 9thc . I havent got a scanner otherwise I would scan the article.

Cheers

Ladoga S wrote:
Nick my belt was based on B716 :-) which was found in Birka. So bulls eye:-) It was Khazarian more than Hungarian ( its slightly different than magyar examples different kind of flowers and plants:-) )

Attachment: 73.01 KB
Copy of misckhazarbelt (3).jpg

Kerim Mamedov wrote:
Well Grzesiu (jeśli można :) )

First : Lets stay with just Thorkil, (not Torkiel) OK? Or Grzegorz, if you really, really want. :p

Quote:
all what I was saying, that for this kind of knife drawings fit more than jiver, IMHO.
I noticed that some of a blades are made by other peoples from other countries, it shows that you work with a best people all over Europe, but for me as a "consument" they still are "Torkiel's blades" - they are on your site, and I'm just a consument and think in specific way :)

OK, I understand.

Quote:
But let's return to the point - the question is - what kind of a blade will be more fiting for this design: damast/jiver or patern with slovian/skandinavian drawing?
My point is to drawing. (hoever makes it)

With such high level of reenacting, that Ladoga makes (regarding to what he ordered from me), the best it is blade of one kind of steel, without engraving or etching by acid on it. Pattern welded (jiver) blade is also accurate, but only with fishbone pattern, regarding to Viking swords. Speaking about inlaid (inkrustowane) Viking knife blades, I saw only geometrical patterns or runic inscription, but with using silver or gold for incrustation. I never saw any Viking blade with dragon or something on blade. Those acided blades what are on my web site aren't reconstructions, but variations and made long time ago.

Quote:
And BTW, Torkiel, in polish wersion of a site it's more info about knifes.

Yes, that's true. But I can't help nothing with 24 hours day long. :P

Quote:
It seems to me, that that wariag knife will look beter with drawings on a blde,

For people who are deeply involved in really good reenacting most important is what is hihistorical accurate, not what look nice. ;)
Excellent Nick !

My belt and yours looks almost like twin brothers. Its even the same teritory I think . Kiev one of my favourites places, great founds:-) Thanks Nick. Can you just please let me know which book about Khazars or Nomads it was?
L

Yep as soon as I get it back I will forward the title etc,,,,, though I think its a article more so than a book but I cant quite remember. There is also another great khazar belt in the same article.

Do you have "Ancient Hungarians" ?

N

Ladoga S wrote:
Excellent Nick !

My belt and yours looks almost like twin brothers. Its even the same teritory I think . Kiev one of my favourites places, great founds:-) Thanks Nick. Can you just please let me know which book about Khazars or Nomads it was?
Oh found this on my computer,,, slate mold for the belt.

Attachment: 45.87 KB
beltkkhazz1 (9).jpg

For people who are deeply involved in really good reenacting most important is what is hihistorical accurate, not what look nice. ;)[/quote]

Well, I'm artist, :) and that's true - I newer think about it in reenacting way. :(
And the point being?

Where abouts in Poland are you ? My family is Polish except my father.

N

Kerim Mamedov wrote:
For people who are deeply involved in really good reenacting most important is what is hihistorical accurate, not what look nice. ;)

Well, I'm artist, :) and that's true - I newer think about it in reenacting way. :([/quote]
Yes Nick I have "Ancient Hungarians" As well i have Murashyeva" Typology of Eraly Medieval Belts" ( my russian is on the basic level so the title sounds almost like that) Send me a priv if you are intrested:-)
LOL Ive got them too!

My Russian is non existent, my friend Artem has translated Murashevja in English for us. I really love the metal work of the peoples we have been talking about, its fantastic!

Also my friend Pete has a great site you may be interested in?http://www.birkatraders.com/test/index.php. He has has made a wonderful reproduction of the Gnezdovo belt.

His site is not fully up yet.

Attachment: 10.88 KB
beltrus,gotland,sweden.russia. (2).jpg

belt set from Retkozberencs-paramdomb grave 2

enjoy

Im actually trying to find some good books on Khazar finds? Searching has proved to be fruitless. Really annoying figuring the importance of the culture at the time.

N

Attachment: 43.88 KB
beltmagyar3in1.jpg

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: