Go to page 1, 2  Next

New ballock dagger from Justin King
I received this about 2 weeks ago, and have just had a chance to take a few pics. I'm sorry, for they are not very good. Posting the best few of a bad lot...

The dagger has approx a 12 inch blade, with a single edge. The hilt is burled English walnut with steel fitting. The scabbard is wood cored and fits the dagger extremely well.

Attachment: 28.69 KB
FullLength.JPG

Attachment: 103.78 KB
WithScabbard.JPG

Attachment: 63.69 KB
InScabbard.JPG

Attachment: 92.23 KB
FullLength_angle.JPG

Attachment: 121.36 KB
Angle2.JPG

Sure does look very nice.
That is really nice. I like the detail work around the gaurd and how that leads into the wooden grip.

Man, Gordon, we need to get together again sometime. You've got some NICE stuff. :)
Bill Grandy wrote:
That is really nice. I like the detail work around the gaurd and how that leads into the wooden grip.

Man, Gordon, we need to get together again sometime. You've got some NICE stuff. :)

Thanks guys. Just let me know Bill - with Spring here it is a nice time for a cutting party!
Another nice effort from Justin! No doubt about it, the gentleman has talent! :) Man I hope the heat treat on mine goes well this time!
A couple of better pics - you can see the burled wood, and the thickness of the blade near the base.

Gordon

Attachment: 113.45 KB
HiltAngle.JPG

Attachment: 93.21 KB
HiltInScabbard.JPG

Very nice dagger, Gordon. That burled wood definately sets it off. Man, that IS a thick balde isn't it! Congrats on a fine piece.
Nice picture and darned fine work Justin. I can't wait!
Russ Ellis wrote:
Nice picture and darned fine work Justin. I can't wait!

I'll be very interested to see what Justin does for you, Russ!
very sleek, tell me, can you post the link to the maker's site ?
JCH
Very very VERY nice :cool: I too wonder about how thick the blade is ? Looks nice and strong. :D

How thick is it near the point ? A more general purpose blade might be thinner while a more armoured combat blade should be of thicker stock relatively speaking ?
That is a REALLY nice knife. I just finished work on my first attempt at a ballock dagger and this has inspired me to go back and have a serious go.

Excellent!
Beautiful knife! The fit and finish on it is amazing! Gorgeous burl wood and such a wonderfully shaped hilt!
It's nice to see another nice ballock dagger. :) The thick blade and burl handle are a nice touch, but I could be partial because my own ballock dagger features those things. I'd also be crious to know the thickness of the blade. Mine starts out at about a 1/2 inch. Did Justin hollow-grind the blade or use a straight-sided triangular section?
The blade is perhaps not as thick as it looks at just barely over 1/4 an inch. It tapers fairly linearly to around 1/8 of an inch at 1 inch from the tip, then more dramatically to the very tip.

Chad - it is flat ground.

I don't believe that Jason has a web site, though he is a member here, and you should be able to PM or email him. He does this in his "spare" time, I believe.

Thanks to all for the kind words (though they are really for Jason - not me)
Gordon

[Edit - I meant "Justin" - not "Jason" but wanted to leave my mistake so the comments below would have context. Mea culpa!]Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Clark on Thu 29 Mar, 2007 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Who is this mystery Jason guy??? ;)
Actually I get called Jason often enough that I respond to it out of habit (usually, sometimes it's more convenient not to)...I have an old employer who I built houses for for about 5 years, he still calls me Jason when I see him and I gave up correcting him a long time ago. As long as I don't develop a split personality over it, I figure two names is better than none!

Thanks for all the wonderful comments, guys, and thanks to Gordon for taking a chance (twice) on a relatively unkown and unproven maker.
Justin
Gordon,

Congratulations on a fine acquisition.

Justin,

I love what you've done with this piece. The shape and form is very clean and accentuates the quality of the work. The quality is evident without resorting to a lot of extra decoration, while maintaining a very authentic look.

Very nice.
SPIFFY!

wait, cutting party?!?!
when?! where?! :D :D :D
Russ Ellis wrote:
Who is this mystery Jason guy??? ;)

Darn it - I just called him that in an email the other day as well. Sorry Justin!
Gordon
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: