Maximilian sword .
Hi to everyone , can anyone tell me what kind of sword uses the Emperor Maximilian? , check this pic ... the guard seems like "S" shape .. but ...

what's your opinion ?:::

Attachment: 52.02 KB
435px-Kaiser_Maximilian_I_dsc01648.jpg

I believe that one is roughly similar to the Albion Munich. I think he was also a fan of true two handers...
The sword looks very similar to one in Del Tin's current catalogue. They list it as a 16thc ceremonial sword from northern Italy (number 2169). I don't know if there is any connection between the two.
It looks like the guard is S-shaped. What is that painting dated, though? Was it made during Maximilian's life?
Chad Arnow wrote:
It looks like the guard is S-shaped. What is that painting dated, though? Was it made during Maximilian's life?

No, it's a Rubens painting from the 17th century, around 100 years after Maximilian I's death, if I remember right. Hence the odd looking sallet and the rather baroque posing/painting technique.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Kaise...c01648.jpg
For a reliable look at Maximilian armed I'd suggest the 'Triumphal Arch of Maximilian', which I was able to purchase in Dover-book form for $12 used off of Amazon.
http://www.myArmoury.com/books/item.0486214516.html
I think the 'White King' or whatever that allegorical biography is might have some other images, but I haven't been able to find it.
-Wilhelm
Yeah , you're right it's Pieter Paul Rubens's paint and David I saw the Deltin 2169 sword ,, thanks for the number of item , seems nice , I'll be searching more for this sword..

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: