the tiniest medieval army..source help..
https://scontent.fsyd4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/441057344_456025070149213_6200438348038557793_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=ap-N1G8Hl60Q7kNvgHjP_J0&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd4-2.fna&oh=00_AYB1xj4jXeHazSfhLBNSxYJtVJKgn1ohae0Vnt7EmLxM3g&oe=664A1E11
this post hats been circulated notes that 'the king went on campaign with an army of 46 men, with 13 knights and his friend godfrey
googling has given me no hope as to where this source might be
it might be the internet pulling some hyperbole for the sake of a meme

but we do have small conflicts like the contest of the 30..
I think it is hyperbole for the sake of a meme. Here is an article that discusses small armies: https://deremilitari.org/2014/06/the-recruitment-of-armies-in-the-early-middle-ages-what-can-we-know/
Smaller armies (take with a grain of salt, I`m talking about something bellow 1,000 troops) tend to be a thing in situations such as private wars between small and medium nobility, especially in Germany, where the burning and pillaging of property was a customary policy in these situations. Also, smaller armies tends to be more professional than larger armies, where nobles would handpick bodyguards, retainers and others to not risk their chances.

Castle garrisons also tends to be small, except in war times and in large cities where you need them for a number of things. Countries with small population would also be unable to raise large armies: e.g. Navarre, which had some 75,000 souls in late Middle Ages, was unable to stop Ferdinand of Aragon`s army in early 16th century simply because of the invaders` numerical advantage.

I once read about a small brigand group in Scotland that once invaded the property of a knight and where repulsed by him and another peer who was his guest. Anyways, the stuff you mentioned is just a meme

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: