Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbard suspension question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
P Ullrich

PostPosted: Thu 25 Apr, 2024 11:28 pm    Post subject: Scabbard suspension question         Reply with quote

Looking for more information or even pics on how the following scabbard might be suspended. It would seem like straps attached to the rings would torque and twist the leather strap that goes around the scabbard.

Attachment: 36.05 KB
22025239005_65d08ec137_bbbc.jpg

Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Apr, 2024 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is one made for my Albion Landgraf by Tod (Leo Todeschini).

There's another chape-like bit further down the scabbard with a single ring to hold the scabbard at an angle. Part of a complex style of suspension. Tod does his research, so it should be accurate to at least one style extant to the latter 14th and 15th century.

Attachment: 561.3 KB
20240426_080606.png

P Ullrich

PostPosted: Fri 26 Apr, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Victor R. wrote:
This is one made for my Albion Landgraf by Tod (Leo Todeschini).

There's another chape-like bit further down the scabbard with a single ring to hold the scabbard at an angle. Part of a complex style of suspension. Tod does his research, so it should be accurate to at least one style extant to the latter 14th and 15th century.

Thanks Victor! Looks like a more rigid support material would be fitting. Maybe thats how David DelaGardelle did it in the pic I used. Like a thick rigid leather even.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 26 Apr, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Scabbard suspension question         Reply with quote

P Ullrich wrote:
Looking for more information or even pics on how the following scabbard might be suspended. It would seem like straps attached to the rings would torque and twist the leather strap that goes around the scabbard.

I’d love to know if there’s a historical basis for that suspension. It look similar to some others, but I’ve not seen much exactly like it….

Whether it would twist would really depend on what was attached to it. Most likely scenario: a strap is attached to each ring and those straps attach to a belt. For it not to twist, the forward strap would need to attach near the main buckle/toward the navel, with the rear strap attaching to the belt nearer the spine. If the attachment point of the straps is too close together/the gap between them too narrow, I can see how they’d twist..

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Apr, 2024 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was in a rush this morning when I posted the first picture - it was just a quick one of the Landgraf I keep downstairs. Attached here are some better pics of the Munich I keep with my armor on the upstairs landing - the Munich and Landgraf suspensions are identical in design. This suspension is fully "assembled" so you can see how it all goes together in context, and there are some closer shots of the various connection points.

As for Chad's comment - I don't have pictures or illustrations of the exemplars, but I'm sure Tod could point the way for you.

Attachment: 137.17 KB
Munich_ComplexSuspension.jpg

Attachment: 134.79 KB
Munich_ComplexSuspension-Det_01.jpg

Attachment: 99.7 KB
Munich_ComplexSuspension-Det_02.jpg

Attachment: 109.36 KB
Munich_ComplexSuspension-Det_03.jpg

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 26 Apr, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Victor R. wrote:

As for Chad's comment - I don't have pictures or illustrations of the exemplars, but I'm sure Tod could point the way for you.

Victor,
My comment was about the picture the OP posted, not your suspension rig. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
P Ullrich

PostPosted: Fri 26 Apr, 2024 11:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Victor, thank you for the pictures, just what I wanted to see.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Apr, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In my scabbard research (which might generously be called extensive, but is certainly not exhaustive), I've not come across an example of the suspension style shown in the original post, but it would be a feasible interpretation of many of the pictures that just show a line across the front of the scabbard that is equal width to the belt.

I see two possible ways of attaching this to a belt: 1) use a two part belt that attaches to the rings (either directly or via some kind of hardware) as shown in Victor's pictures, or 2) using a narrower belt that can be threaded through one ring, behind the body of the scabbard, and through the other ring. There is historical evidence for option 1. Option 2 would not result in the belt and the leather "locket" being the same width, so I think it is less justified. Both methods would allow the leather of the "locket" to twist, but a flexible attachment like method 1 would likely reduce that.

Speaking of twisting, I think you will get some twisting of the leather with this set up, but you have the same issue with integral belts that are attached in the same or similar manners. I don't think it is anything to worry about. The belt effectively customizes itself to the wearer. If the scabbard and belt are used by a person who is sized significantly differently or with/without armour that impacts size notably, there might be some waviness or pooching from the established twist not matching the new waist circumference, but it would be almost purely cosmetic and would not affect functionality.

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
P Ullrich

PostPosted: Sat 27 Apr, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sensible ideas, Greyson, thank you

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbard suspension question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic