Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seems like there have been some good discoveries of late! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 
Ryan S.

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jun, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What about it looks unusual to you?
It looks a bit like this one to me.

According to this octoganial hilted Nordic swords is an established type.
A Aron

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jun, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quite a few years ago, the leading Japanese archaeologist was caught planting ancient Chinese pottery in Japanese tombs to "prove" a pet theory. Other than a fraudulent plant, how can anyone explain the almost total lack of blue/green patina on the German bronze sword? The Mycenaean bronze swords found by Heinrich Schliemann in the royal pit graves in the citadel at Mycenae (on display in the Athens, Greece museum) were severely patinated and damaged when excavated. They are several centuries newer than the German sword. There are many bronze Corinthian helmets dug up from Olympia and other sites, all from 600BC to 300BC, centuries newer than the supposedly 1300-1400BC German sword. All such buried bronze armor is heavily crusted with patina. Is this German sword magic? Is it made by space alien technology? Why is there so little patination?
Anthony Clipsom

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2023 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Why is there so little patination?

The obvious answer would be burial conditions. You'd have to look at the excavation report but I'd guess we are not looking at an acid environment, from the condition of the bones, which would mean that we may not have a particularly corrosive environment. Patination on the several other bronze items in the grave seems consistent with the sword too, unless you're suggesting that everything has been put in?

Anthony Clipsom
Pieter B.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2023 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Copper alloy patina formation follows a set pattern.

Initially the alloy is quite bright though much depends on the initial composition and or polishing. Exposure first causes a dark-brown cuprite(Cu2O) patina to form, this is a very thin layer closest to the piece. On top of this layer a second layer will form. This layer of brochantite, antlerite or some other copper compound. It's this layer that gives aged copper its charactaristic blue-green hue. The formation rate and composition of this second layer is subject to atmospheric and/or soil conditions. Atmospheres high in sulfur for example can promote the formation of antlerite while low sulfur atmosphere lead more to brochantite.

The sword they dug up in Bavaria obviously displays this second blue-green layer quite well. However unlike many other examples the layer is either thin or very reflective. Apart from having a flat surface the one thing which could explain the high brightness is the layer being of relatively even thickness. A mirror or a blade is polished to make it reflective by evening out the surface. If the patina on he blade is also of even thickness that could explain why it's still so bright. Other metals that form a (protective) patina would be aluminium or stainless steel and both of these can be bright regardless.
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jun, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Totally amateur question here, but the patterns on those bronze swords is due to...? Just cuts/file work where the patina is a different (lighter) colour? Surely it can't be inlays...
Dan D'Silva

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jun, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To me it just looks like the grooves have accumulated more green gunk than the raised surfaces. I imagine the size and layout of the grooves would be easiest to make by casting them in. If the hilt's wax cast, then they were probably on the wax positive before the mold was made.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tight grain wood to carve masters, then making a mould in halves from clay, then bind the mould
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jul, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An early handgonne find.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-66042064?fbclid=IwAR007TV8W74LmhpRNhRxjoulSCU17jUMuSIZrM9vqWJJmhtmD07-WXQ6NaE

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject: Backyard Viking Grave w/ Sword         Reply with quote

Not the kind of thing I find in my backyard sadly :-)

Viking Sword in grave in back yard
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Roman Swords find         Reply with quote

Here is an article about 4 roman era swords found in a cave recently.

Roman Swords

CNN version of story
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 08 Sep, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Roman Swords find         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Here is an article about 4 roman era swords found in a cave recently.

Roman Swords

CNN version of story

From the Jeruselum Post
https://www.jpost.com/archaeology/article-757779
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML6D8Kta-PU

Cheers
GC
Anthony Clipsom

PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2023 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A scramasax from Sweden dated 700-900. Very nice carved hilt on this one. Report (in Swedish) here :

https://arkeologerna.com/bloggar/gardar-och-gravfalt-utanfor-vasteras/kortsvard-fran-jarnaldern-hittat-i-skalby/

Anthony Clipsom
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the grip on that one. Happy It reinforces that knotwork carving has had a long life. Happy
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: more Roman Swords         Reply with quote

Here are a couple of Spatha recently found on the other side of the empire from the ones found in Israel. So to the Cotswolds!

Roman Swords
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jan, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject: This is cool         Reply with quote

This is cool, it always strikes me how modern sounding the nicknames they applied long ago sound. Its that human thing we do were we apply a nickname to the objects that are used most often or the focus of our attention. Same as it ever was.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/jan/22/engraving-on-2000-year-old-knife-thought-to-be-oldest-runes-in-denmark 2000 year old runes on knife blade
[/code]
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2024 1:18 pm    Post subject: Bronze Roman Arm Guard armor         Reply with quote

I had seen bits of this before but the conservation and display on the new exhibit really lets you see how well it was put together and looked.

Roman Armor Arm

Best
Craig
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 20 Feb, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Iron age find in Poland         Reply with quote

Here are some corroded pieces found recently in Poland. It will be a bit of work to conserve and study these but cool find.

Polish Iron Objects
Anthony Clipsom

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr, 2024 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I noticed this when I was away from the forum for a period. I don't know if it was discussed?

https://www.medievalists.net/2024/01/medieval-gauntlet-discovered-in-switzerland/

This looks to me like a work-a-day example, rather than the top-of-the-range types that are often preserved, so doubly interesting.

Anthony Clipsom
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr, 2024 1:49 pm    Post subject: Early sword found in Spain         Reply with quote

Here is a nice piece they are dating to 1000 yrs old though I would like to see more info before I would agree. It does look like a nice piece and would be an excellent one to stufy.

1000 year old grave find from Spain

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seems like there have been some good discoveries of late!
Page 21 of 21 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: