Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Introduction/Questions/Suggestions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Nick K.

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Introduction/Questions/Suggestions         Reply with quote

Greetings. New person with at least one of the stalest, least answerable newbie questions in newbiedom ( what to buy ).

So - I came upon the Albion site ( and from there, this one ) more or less by accident a couple of months back. Until then I was at most only very vaguely aware that functional replicas of medieval swords might exist...somewhere. I WAS fully aware of all the cheesy late-night-public-access-cable-knife-vendor level of cheap replicas and even was once in possesion of an old, blunted, cheap Indian-made sabre acquired by mother in a Michigan flea market decades ago and bestowed on my 11th or 12th birthday. But I never had any real interest in some silly looking stainless steel knockoff from some lousy B fantasy films ( not the first Conan film - I'm talking Krull or worse ) or some flimsy "ninja katana" from 17 Gold Monkeys. The Albion stuff though - THAT caught my attention. And fascination. Now starting to lean towards the ever so slightly obsessive.

So I want to buy a sword. Ah, but which? Whatever I fancy and can afford, yes? That's the obvious ( and perhaps only real ) answer, but, well, the thing is I'm an indecisive sort.

I'm not interested in re-enactments or ren-fairs. Haven't been to one in years and certainly wouldn't participate if I were to attend. Not that I have anything against them, I think they're fun enough as a spectator, but I don't even like getting dressed up to go to a good restaurant.

I am not a practitioner of medieval martial arts, though I am developing the beginnings of a glimmer of an intellectual interest in them. Whether that will ever translate into any actual practice I don't know ( have to get over that whole lazy thing first ). I'd like to learn the most basic basics of proper weapon handling, but I'm not sure I am ever going to go motivated enough to go beyond that ( but never say never ).

I am a history geek and though my emphasis has never specifically revolved around ancient weaponry ( but plenty of military history more generally ), I am as fascinated by them as the next semi-educated male wandering through the British Museum. And philosophically I like the concept of historical accuracy, quality craftmanship and functionality.

Truly though, it will mostly hang on my wall. At least for now.

So looking aesthetically at what is available, more than anything else I find myself drawn to the 10th-15th century single-handed swords. Also, they will need a ( reasonably and roughly ) matching scabbard - I both like the look of scabbarded swords and am cautious less I get gutted like a fish if some wall-hanging suddenly gives way ( at this point some kind-hearted and helpful soul will no doubt chime in to note that making your own scabbard is both fun and easy - no doubt true, but sadly and quite truthfully, I got a "D" in 8th grade wood shop - I can assemble an IKEA cabinet, slowly and painfully, but would never dare assail something as challenging, as, say, staining unfinished bookcases - it would just be a recipe for messy disaster ).

All thing being equal, then, I find myself really drawn to the Albion Solingen w/the matching handmade scabbard. However, all things aren't equal and plopping down $1700 or so is at this point a bit more than I am ready to commit to. $1000 is probably a safer upper limit ( including scabbard ) and really I should try to stay a bit under that. So I guess my questions/solicitations for opinions or advice are:

1.) What are the opinions on the Albion campaign-line scabbards? Howabout vs. the ( much cheaper ) Arms & Armor leather scabbards? I know that scabbard storage is slightly frowned upon, but that properly treated/oiled wood-core scabbards are supposed to better for that purpose than properly cured/dyed leather, which is better than cheaply cured/dyed leather. Just how much of a difference in terms of blade maintenance would I be looking at from one to another?

2.) Generally speaking what is the honest appraisal of Arms & Armor vs. Albion in terms of overall quality? I've read the reviews and I know both are tops at their general pricepoints, but any subjective opinions on even small differences in overall attention to detail/quality? Nothing mean-spirited of course - even just amorphous musings on overall differences in"feel" or philosophy would be interesting to hear. Perhaps preferences on semi-specific model classes - A&A 12th century vs. Albion Hospitaler, for example

3.) Semi-general question - are there date stamps on the reviews here that I missed? For example the Duke of Urbino review states that it is "a sword in transition." I rather like the design, but is it still transitioning?

4.) Senlac vs. Reeve vs. Bayeux vs. Templar vs. Hospitaler vs. Squire vs. A&A equivalents? Oh, wait, I think you've done this one, what, 800 times? Stupid newbies never can decide on anything Wink .

5.) Is there any A&A or Albion quality manufacturer of Islamic designs? I seem to see mostly very costly custom-builds or a couple of steps down in quality, nothing in between. Anything I missed? I have a particular interest in Islamic history and an eventual period contrast would be nice.

Hmmm...well, that's enough for now. Thanks for reading Happy .

- Nick
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can provide a comment about you second question concering the differences between A&A and Albion. I will leave the other questions to those who have first-hand knowledge of these swords since I do not yet own any Sad

From what I have read A&A swords are all recreations of specific historical swords that are in museums whereas Albion's NextGens are more generaly based on each type of sword but not any specific example, for example the crossguard is based on sword "X" from museum such-and-such while the pommel is based on sword "Y" from museum so-and-so.

I don't know if that helps with your decision any. It certainly doesn't help me narrow my choices down because I like several swords from both A&A and Albion. Unfortunatly it will be some time before I can afford one being just a poor college student.

Hope this helps and anyone who know other than what I have said please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Alex

"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction/Questions/Suggestions         Reply with quote

Nick K. wrote:
Greetings. New person with at least one of the stalest, least answerable newbie questions in newbiedom ( what to buy ).

Cool, fresh meat! Razz

Just kidding, Nick... welcome to here! You certainly asked a few good questions... I'll offer my thoughts, as will others, I'm sure.

Nick wrote:
So - I came upon the Albion site ( and from there, this one ) more or less by accident a couple of months back. Until then I was at most only very vaguely aware that functional replicas of medieval swords might exist...somewhere...
...The Albion stuff though - THAT caught my attention. And fascination. Now starting to lean towards the ever so slightly obsessive.

It's a slippery slope. Enjoy the ride!

Nick wrote:
So I want to buy a sword. Ah, but which? Whatever I fancy and can afford, yes? That's the obvious ( and perhaps only real ) answer, but, well, the thing is I'm an indecisive sort.

Reading ahead, 10th - 15th single-hander is pretty wide open, though it does help out a good bit. Outside of that, yes, you have the equation down right - what trips your trigger within your means to afford (or save for). That said, I'll get to your questions. Mind you, this is my rather non-humble opinion...

Nick wrote:
I am a history geek and though my emphasis has never specifically revolved around ancient weaponry ( but plenty of military history more generally ), I am as fascinated by them as the next semi-educated male wandering through the British Museum. And philosophically I like the concept of historical accuracy, quality craftmanship and functionality.

Then you are looking to the right calibre of maker - at least in the production world.

Nick wrote:
Also, they will need a ( reasonably and roughly ) matching scabbard - I both like the look of scabbarded swords and am cautious less I get gutted like a fish if some wall-hanging suddenly gives way ( at this point some kind-hearted and helpful soul will no doubt chime in to note that making your own scabbard is both fun and easy - no doubt true, but sadly and quite truthfully, I got a "D" in 8th grade wood shop - I can assemble an IKEA cabinet, slowly and painfully, but would never dare assail something as challenging, as, say, staining unfinished bookcases - it would just be a recipe for messy disaster ).

I won't say it's easy, and I've thrown a hammer or two making some of mine... but I'm pleased with the results. Without some of the skills and the tools, though, It'd be a long fight.

Nick wrote:
All thing being equal, then, I find myself really drawn to the Albion Solingen w/the matching handmade scabbard.

I can sum this up in two simple words... Hell yeah.

Nick wrote:
1.) What are the opinions on the Albion campaign-line scabbards? Howabout vs. the ( much cheaper ) Arms & Armor leather scabbards? I know that scabbard storage is slightly frowned upon, but that properly treated/oiled wood-core scabbards are supposed to better for that purpose than properly cured/dyed leather, which is better than cheaply cured/dyed leather. Just how much of a difference in terms of blade maintenance would I be looking at from one to another?

I'll be blunt and direct. If you are looking for historical accuracy, an historically accurate scabbard is the only way to go. That's NOT either of these options... There are, however, other options for sources for scabbards - there are a few who make them on this forum, and there are a couple of other possible sources as well. I have stored my swords short-term in wood-cored scabbards without issue. If they get moisture trapped inside, though, it's a BAD idea. How much difference in maintenance between leather and wood? Can't say - too much variability. Bad/wrong/wet wood will create a VERY harsh environment for your sword... worse than leather. The right wood, though, properly done and treated, and in the right environment... nice. Leather has similar issues... proper leather properly treated can be great. There's no simple answer to this one.

Nick wrote:
2.) Generally speaking what is the honest appraisal of Arms & Armor vs. Albion in terms of overall quality? I've read the reviews and I know both are tops at their general pricepoints, but any subjective opinions on even small differences in overall attention to detail/quality? Nothing mean-spirited of course - even just amorphous musings on overall differences in"feel" or philosophy would be interesting to hear. Perhaps preferences on semi-specific model classes - A&A 12th century vs. Albion Hospitaler, for example

My sword/dagger collection consists of 12 Albion next gen and museum line swords (which includes a good representation of Albion's offerings across the Viking/A-S, single-handed medieval, and medieval longsword categories) with 4 more on order and considering more, 1 A&A rapier, 2 A&A daggers, and a few custom pieces. I also have a few A&A non-edged items... There isn't another (semi)production maker that I would consider - these two stand alone. There are a few custom smiths that I would entertain, but that's a pricey proposition.

Nick wrote:
3.) Semi-general question - are there date stamps on the reviews here that I missed? For example the Duke of Urbino review states that it is "a sword in transition." I rather like the design, but is it still transitioning?

Good question... don't see one either. Maybe we're both missing it.

Nick wrote:
4.) Senlac vs. Reeve vs. Bayeux vs. Templar vs. Hospitaler vs. Squire vs. A&A equivalents? Oh, wait, I think you've done this one, what, 800 times? Stupid newbies never can decide on anything Wink .

Stupid newbies... Razz

Actually, kidding aside, lots of the "old guard" have long discussions and weighing and measuring of these pieces, too... Read the reviews, do a search for these terms, look at the manufacturer's pages, etc. TONS of info already out there. Personally, I dig the Reeve,Senlac, and Squire in that order.

Nick wrote:
5.) Is there any A&A or Albion quality manufacturer of Islamic designs? I seem to see mostly very costly custom-builds or a couple of steps down in quality, nothing in between. Anything I missed? I have a particular interest in Islamic history and an eventual period contrast would be nice.

I'd welcome one! If there is one, I'm not personally aware.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Nick!

It sounds to me that your progression to sword obsession has been remarkably similar to mine. I have never been to a ren-faire, myself, and can’t imagine participating as other than a spectator. Though I have occasionally considered getting involved in living history. I also love history, and that seems to be the case with many of us at myArmoury.com. I also keep making noises about getting involved in medieval swordsmanship, but never actually do anything about it. My schedule never seems to have the time....

It can be really tough to make your first sword selection(s). If I were to buy every piece that “speaks to me”, I would be bankrupted. You, and only you, can determine your selection criteria and what piece or pieces meet those criteria. And you will only get there by doing what you are doing already – reading and asking questions.

I think that the reviews here are a good resource for getting the evaluations of users/collectors with much more experience that I will likely ever have. You make a good point about date stamps on those reviews, however. This would be very useful data. Some of the reviews are of swords that are only now available on the pre-owned (pre-loved?, or, in some cases, pre-hated?) market.

I personally feel that you can’t go wrong with either A&A or Albion. I have two A&A swords and two Albion (1st gen) swords. There are some other production makers out there that have a good reputation at a lower price (e.g., Lutel, DelTin, Armour Class, etc.). I remain very fond of my first “nice” sword, which is a DelTin, but this is definitely a question of getting what you pay for.

I, too, am very fond of the Albion Solingen and Kevin Iseli’s lovely matching scabbard, so we both have good taste!! I don’t have any of Kevin’s scabbards, but I gave my wife a brooch that he made – very fine work!

Regarding scabbards, I tend to agree with your concern about getting “…gutted like a fish….” I currently keep my swords in an old gun cabinet, and only have two scabbards. One of them is an A&A leather scabbard that I bought with the particular sword (the Gustav Vasa). The other scabbard is very similar in weight and construction, but much lower quality (this one was actually given to me by another forumite). These are what I, and many of the other forumites would call transport scabbards, and I find them very useful for that purpose, and wish that I had more of them for my other swords. I recently nicked the edge of one of my nice pieces, and a transport scabbard would have prevented that damage. I am also not a very handy kind of person. However, I might be willing to try my hand at making a transport scabbard, since appearance won’t be as important, and it won’t be as expensive or time-consuming a venture as making a historical scabbard.

I tend to think that, if you keep your sword stored in the scabbard, but regularly remove the sword to make sure it is thoroughly oiled (or waxed), the sword will be ok. I do keep a couple of swords in their scabbards, but of course I remove them on an almost daily basis to play with, I mean, inspect and maintain the swords.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1.) What are the opinions on the Albion campaign-line scabbards? Howabout vs. the ( much cheaper ) Arms & Armor leather scabbards? I know that scabbard storage is slightly frowned upon, but that properly treated/oiled wood-core scabbards are supposed to better for that purpose than properly cured/dyed leather, which is better than cheaply cured/dyed leather. Just how much of a difference in terms of blade maintenance would I be looking at from one to another

Campaign scabbard I've never seen first hand. Good repuation though. Leather A&A I have seen first hand. Not that exciting, but provides a package for carrying the sword and the cost vector refelcts this. As for the maintenance question, that will probably depend as much on you local environment (ambient humidity) as the scabbard (at least from this sample). I've stored in quality leather, suspect quality leather, and wood cored without that much maintenance required, and without problem for a 6 or so months at a time. Mileage will vary.

Quality, flip a coin. I generally lean a bit towards Albions because A&A often have the pommels keyed to the tangs and then a threaded pommel nut which is peened down. Its a very solid construction method but it always looks like a nut to me. Its a trivial annoyance that does not impact quality in the least, but based on my somewhat limited experience, its not "right" for some periods. That said, A&A is very accomodative, and I believe they can tweak things to preference in most cases.

I believe it refences to the design in its historic context, not the reproduction sword itself.

List them. Prioritize them. Then slowly buy them all. Cool

Don't know bu t somebody here might.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nick, welcome to a really great place, in my opinion you found the great resources on the internet. I am new myself and am very much just learning. This is great place to start.

Welcome,

Bob
Nick K.

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate all the welcomes and replies.

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
I'll be blunt and direct. If you are looking for historical accuracy, an historically accurate scabbard is the only way to go. That's NOT either of these options...

Curse you!

I'm sorta feeling the same way, I think Big Grin. Ah, well - perhaps I'll find a few hundred dollars worth of loose change under the sofa cushions.

Quote:
Personally, I dig the Reeve, Senlac, and Squire in that order.

As I just mentioned in a PM, I think I'm leaning towards the Senlac. It's just such a classic looking design. In general I think I tend more towards the earlier, more cut-oriented blades at the moment ( though I do like them all ). I'd love the late-Viking blades like the Jarl or Hersir, but like the Solingen they're a bit steeper than I want to budget at this moment. For various reasons I seem a little less fond ( only by degree ) of both the Knight/Ritter/Caithness models ( hilts on the last two, I like simpler designs - I don't know what my issue is on the first ) and the later, more narrow-bladed, thrust-oriented swords ( like many of the Albion longswords ).

But again, if I were to win the lottery...

Steve Grisetti wrote:
It can be really tough to make your first sword selection(s). If I were to buy every piece that “speaks to me”, I would be bankrupted.

*sigh* Yes. And to think I actually wasted precious funds on a mere trip to southern Spain last month.

( Just kidding it was worth it - the Alhambra and Mezquita were draw-droppingly magnificient )

Quote:
I do keep a couple of swords in their scabbards, but of course I remove them on an almost daily basis to play with, I mean, inspect and maintain the swords.

Riiiight. Inspect and maintain - sure, me too Razz.

Joe Fults wrote:

Quality, flip a coin. I generally lean a bit towards Albions because A&A often have the pommels keyed to the tangs and then a threaded pommel nut which is peened down. Its a very solid construction method but it always looks like a nut to me. Its a trivial annoyance that does not impact quality in the least, but based on my somewhat limited experience, its not "right" for some periods. That said, A&A is very accomodative, and I believe they can tweak things to preference in most cases.

Hmmm...just the sort of info I was looking for. Thanks, Joe.

Quote:
List them. Prioritize them. Then slowly buy them all. Cool

I fear that may be where I'm heading Wink.

- Nick
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guys, if you go to the Updates page, there are dates for each item published. Happy
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, DUH! Thanks, Chad, for waking me up!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction/Questions/Suggestions         Reply with quote

Nick K. wrote:
1.) What are the opinions on the Albion campaign-line scabbards? Howabout vs. the ( much cheaper ) Arms & Armor leather scabbards?

It depends on your luck. My Campaign Scabbard for the Baron is very loose (very). The one for the Sempach fits really nicely. The leather covers on them aren't that great. It looks like cheap garment-grade leather. That said, they are great baselines for customization (assuming it fits well), and they're cheaper than many other options. The wood cores, aren't too thick; many other makers in that price range have wood cores that are simply too bulky. But Campaign scabbards are way behind, too. You'd have to check with them, but I know there are people who have waited well over 6 months for campaign scabbards.

As for plain leather sheaths, that depends on your usage. If you're doing living history or reenactment, they likely wouldn't pass muster for your group. They do work for transport, though. I have one for my Regent, simply because I neither want to wait months for a scabbard maker to make one, nor do I want to spend hundreds to get one. My needs (right now) are for transport protection. For leather sheaths, try the Dorsett House. You can send them a tracing of your blade. Turnaround time is measured in days, not months/years.

Quote:

I know that scabbard storage is slightly frowned upon, but that properly treated/oiled wood-core scabbards are supposed to better for that purpose than properly cured/dyed leather, which is better than cheaply cured/dyed leather. Just how much of a difference in terms of blade maintenance would I be looking at from one to another?

Storing them in either leather or wood depends on the relative humidity in your area and the quality and type of materials used. Custom maker Vince Evans actually recommended I store a knife he made in its sheath. If tanned correctly, and if your blade doesn't go in wet, and it's not too humid where you live, storing in leather is fine. Wood will also depend on materials used and the cleanliness of your scabbard maker. If gunk got trapped in there during the making, problems can ensue.

Quote:
2.) Generally speaking what is the honest appraisal of Arms & Armor vs. Albion in terms of overall quality?

My opinion is that Albion swords are slightly more clean in appearance. They're very crisp, though not overly modern. A&A swords seem to have a more organic look, and the castings are not quite as precise (though they are by no means poor; they're quite good). A&A swords are based exclusively off of period originals, though they do make compromises for cost. For instance, the original sword now known as the GBS had a fullered blade. The original of the Knightly Riding sword has a fullered blade. In both cases, the repros have diamond cross-sections. Albion NG swords are amalgams of historic originals. The Museum Line swords are supposed to be exact recreations, though it appears they will simplify the Munich sword. Personally, that's disappointing.

Back to your original point: They are different price points and focuses, so it's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. Both are good at what they do. Both will serve well. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Harlan Hastings
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction/Questions/Suggestions         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
The Museum Line swords are supposed to be exact recreations, though it appears they will simplify the Munich sword. Personally, that's disappointing.

Just to clarify, the Munich will be a Next Gen version of the Bayerisches sword not a Museum Line piece. There are plans to produce both the Munich and a Museum Line recreation of the Bayerisches.
Lance K.

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nick,

I also stumbled upon the Albion site and could not bring my attention away until I had one of my own. Since I had never seen a quality sword until then I had never in my life even considered buying sword, but Albion changed that. I looked at the Solingen for months but I've got a thing for powerful longswords with presence, which is why I now own The Viceroy.

Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
... but I've got a thing for powerful longswords with presence, which is why I now own The Viceroy

That is a beautiful picture of your Viceroy, Lance.

- Sir Toby Belch
Travis Canaday

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To throw my two cents in...

As far as swords go, I would go with Albion. I have not had the chance to handle either them or A&A, but the fact the Albion uses the traditional hilt construction is big selling point for me. That's why I put my order in for a Ringeck!

Also... before you invest in a sword, I suggest you think about what kind of swordsmanship you would most like to study... that is if you choose to do so. Not that you would ever be disapointed with your sword; just that maybe later on if you happen get into the German longsword traditon... you might wish you had one of these pointy, two-handers.

gotta love having choises!

Travis
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Travis Canaday wrote:
To throw my two cents in...

As far as swords go, I would go with Albion. I have not had the chance to handle either them or A&A, but the fact the Albion uses the traditional hilt construction is big selling point for me.

Travis,
Welcome. A&A and Albion both use historical methods of construction in their hilts. This topic has been covered elsewhere: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4901

Albion's method is historical for many swords, but not all. Ditto A&A. Some swords' tangs (narrow and thick) necessitated a burned-on grip and a compression fit, more like what A&A does. Some swords had wide tangs which made a method more like Albion's appropriate. Both methods were used and both are historical, depending on what kind of sword you're speaking about. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Nick K.

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Guys, if you go to the Updates page, there are dates for each item published. Happy

Ah, excellent - thank you Happy.

Quote:
It depends on your luck. My Campaign Scabbard for the Baron is very loose (very). The one for the Sempach fits really nicely. The leather covers on them aren't that great. It looks like cheap garment-grade leather.

Hmmm...that's slightly worrisome. I'd rather not rely on luck for something in that price range.

Quote:
That said, they are great baselines for customization (assuming it fits well), and they're cheaper than many other options.

I'm afraid that to some extent I'm still in a mindset that equates working leather/wood with being much easier than working steel and hence a scabbard should be much cheaper than a sword. Probably I need to let go of that prejudice ( which is based on nothing more concrete other than steel = physically harder, it's not like I have ever worked with either one ) and embrace the fact that a quality scabbard is going to cost quality dollars.

Quote:
But Campaign scabbards are way behind, too. You'd have to check with them, but I know there are people who have waited well over 6 months for campaign scabbards.

Ackk. Don't like that either - I can be as impatient as a 6-year old sometimes. Especially for something that has the potential of not being a high quality item. A month I can do standing on my head, six might aggravate me.

Which brings up an ancillary question - does that mean that the custom scabbards from Albion have an even longer wait period? Or is the wait period precisely because the more expensive and complex custom scabbards have priority and Mr. Iseli is the only one making them?

Quote:
If tanned correctly, and if your blade doesn't go in wet, and it's not too humid where you live, storing in leather is fine.

I'm in the SF Bay Area and no longer live in the fog belt ( used to live right off the beach in SF, where moisture intrusion from fog could in fact be a bit of an issue, at least if you leave a window open ), so I doubt that would be a problem.

Quote:
My opinion is that Albion swords are slightly more clean in appearance. They're very crisp, though not overly modern. A&A swords seem to have a more organic look, and the castings are not quite as precise (though they are by no means poor; they're quite good).

Interesting. Now when I hear organic in this context, I tend to think holistic or organism, as in it comes together better as a whole and looks less like a a collection of seperate components. I'm not sure if that was what you are implying here, though.

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Lance Karsten wrote:
... but I've got a thing for powerful longswords with presence, which is why I now own The Viceroy

That is a beautiful picture of your Viceroy, Lance.

Have to agree - very nice photo Lance.

See that's the issue - they're all awful attractive Happy.

Travis Canaday wrote:

Also... before you invest in a sword, I suggest you think about what kind of swordsmanship you would most like to study... that is if you choose to do so. Not that you would ever be disapointed with your sword; just that maybe later on if you happen get into the German longsword traditon... you might wish you had one of these pointy, two-handers.

It's an excellent point, but I am actually a little less concerned with this issue. One benefit of being ( currently at least ) a happy bachelor with government job and a good retirement plan ( traditional pension + 401 k ), is that if I find my needs change I can always decide to be a little fiscally irresponsible in the short term and it will generally even out in the longer term Razz. More practically I'm just too new to the discipline to really make that determination yet.

Quote:
gotta love having choises!

Oh, indeed - it's painful making choices, but it's always fun pain Happy.

Chad Arnow wrote:

Welcome. A&A and Albion both use historical methods of construction in their hilts. This topic has been covered elsewhere: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4901

Nice thread. Though I'm uncertain how much I will ultimately end up participating here given the specialization, I really do appreciate this website. Not only is it very informative and nicely laid out, but your forumites appear to be mostly of a very high caliber. The relative dearth of leet and chatspeak doesn't hurt either Wink.

- Nick
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm afraid that to some extent I'm still in a mindset that equates working leather/wood with being much easier than working steel and hence a scabbard should be much cheaper than a sword. Probably I need to let go of that prejudice ( which is based on nothing more concrete other than steel = physically harder, it's not like I have ever worked with either one ) and embrace the fact that a quality scabbard is going to cost quality dollars.

A good quality scabbard can be just as time consuming to make as the sword it houses, sometimes more so depending on how elaborate the design is.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nick K. wrote:
Hmmm...that's slightly worrisome. I'd rather not rely on luck for something in that price range.

I've seen two examples (the ones I mentioned). That's a very small sample set of data for the scientifically-minded. Happy My Baron scabbard may be an aberration. I'd be curious to hear from others about the fit they've experienced. The Sempach's is really nice in terms of fit. Who knows? Since neither was made to my exact blades' shapes, it's not surprising that the fit varies. There's a lot of hand-work that goes into each blade and they one they used to make my Baron scabbard may have been worked over less than mine. I would have preferred less looseness in the Baron scabbard, but there are home remedies that could tighten it up a bit if I took the time.

Quote:

Well, there's a lot of hand-work and research that goes into a proper period scabbard. There aren't a ton of people making them well. Those that do are typically very busy because of that. Hence, prices go up. Plus, you're putting a fully custom scabbard with a semi-production sword. If someone could employ some of the same techniques Albion and A&A use in sword-making to scabbard making, creating semi-custom or off-the-rack scabbards from easily reproduceable components, they'd make a pile of money, IMHO.

Quote:
Ackk. Don't like that either - I can be as impatient as a 6-year old sometimes. Especially for something that has the potential of not being a high quality item. A month I can do standing on my head, six might aggravate me.

Which brings up an ancillary question - does that mean that the custom scabbards from Albion have an even longer wait period? Or is the wait period precisely because the more expensive and complex custom scabbards have priority and Mr. Iseli is the only one making them?

Last I heard custom scabbards were on a wait of at least a year and a half. I asked Mike last summer about them, and he said it would be into 2007 before I'd get it. But, that may have changed. If you're curious, I'd ask Mike. They'd know better than me. Happy That's to long a wait in my mind, too, but obviously a year and a half's worth of scabbard customers disagrees. Happy

Quote:
Interesting. Now when I hear organic in this context, I tend to think holistic or organism, as in it comes together better as a whole and looks less like a a collection of seperate components. I'm not sure if that was what you are implying here, though.

Perhaps organic is not the right word. What I mean is that they have an overall period-correct look that is different than Albion's. A&A's is ever-so-slightly less perfect, but ever-so-slightly more authentic in my eyes.

Happy

ChadA

Doug Gardner

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

You've been given some good advice, so far. I can't promise that mine will be as good, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

1. Try to get the opportunity to handle some of these first. The visual impression is clearly important for your purposes, but remember that these are dynamic weapons. How they feel in the hand is going to be important to you. Maybe not immediately, but I bet eventually it will be. Also, if you can handle them first, you will get to see them first-hand. Pictures only tell part of the story! The rest of my post may not be any good, but I'd put money on this point!

2. I'm somewhat surprised that nobody has mentioned Christian Fletcher's scabbards http://www.christianfletcher.com. You can buy an Albion through him (for the same price Albion will sell it direct, I believe). If you do, you can commission a scabbard from him. I've seen some of his work, and am very impressed. Depending on the time period, they aren't necessarily the most period-correct, but he can generally do what you ask. Check out what he did with the Albion Regent. He has 2 different scabbards for the regent on his website. They are very nice for the price. Turnaround isn't quick, but it is faster than Albion's custom scabbards, by all accounts.

3. Two Albions that are conspicuously absent from your list, I think, are the Sovereign and the Knight. I own both, and agree with everything said about them. The Sovereign, in particular, is a very surprising blade. I was never drawn to it until I picked one up. Eek! As far as the longswords go, Lance is right. The Viceroy is a wonderful and visually striking blade. I own both the Regent and the Viceroy, and the Viceroy is my favorite. Others will disagree. A local friend of mine prefers the Regent over the Viceroy, I believe. It doesn't really matter, though. Wink You need to look at them up-close, handle them, and then decide. It sounds like you are more interested in an earlier time-period, though. I'm afraid I can't offer any advice or observations on the A&A swords. I've handled a few, and they seem very nice. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Regardless of what you decide to do, if you are only planning to get one, then please take as much time as you need. Lazyness may serve you well, here. Allow inertia to prevent you from taking precipitous action, but allow curiousity to lead you to further investigation, until you are confident in your choice. Inspect and handle the alternatives (that may involve some travel on your part). When you're ready, GO FOR IT! My guess is that you'll like it a lot, after you invest that much effort in its selection.

Best of luck!

Doug Gardner
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Chad Arnow"]
Nick K. wrote:

I've seen two examples (the ones I mentioned). That's a very small sample set of data for the scientifically-minded. Happy My Baron scabbard may be an aberration. I'd be curious to hear from others about the fit they've experienced. The Sempach's is really nice in terms of fit. Who knows? Since neither was made to my exact blades' shapes, it's not surprising that the fit varies. There's a lot of hand-work that goes into each blade and they one they used to make my Baron scabbard may have been worked over less than mine. I would have preferred less looseness in the Baron scabbard, but there are home remedies that could tighten it up a bit if I took the time.
|- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Chad;

Here is an old topic about fixing minor scabbard looseness: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p...ght=#19018

My Gaddhjalt campaign scabbard became a little looser than desirable and I fixed it using the method suggested by Albion's Eric Mc Hugh.

My Sovereign campaign scabbard was tight when I got it but loosened up a bit with use: So I did the same thing to fix that one also. After a while I may have to redo this again.

Just a small piece of leather lace glued down an inch or so at each corner is just enough for the blade to stick in the scabbard if turned upside down and not shaken. A light tug will pull the sword out. This can be done almost invisibly.

So Chad I think this old topic gives some answers: Hope this helps.

( Edit: Why are the quoted comments not highlighted to make then easy to separate from my comments ??? Am I doing this wrong ? Seemed to work fine the first time I used the quote tool ? )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Introduction/Questions/Suggestions
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: