Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A resposne to the article: English Swords 1600 to 1650 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
R Fox

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: A resposne to the article: English Swords 1600 to 1650         Reply with quote

I recently read the article on English swords from 1600 to 1650. Before I was under no illusions that Britain was at the forefront of army technology for much of the "Renaissance" period, however I had always thought that when it came to the construction of swords British techniques had kept pace with continental Europe, perhaps as a result of the need to supply the navy. I understand that Henry VIII needed to employ German armourers to supply articles like Almain rivets in the course of modernising his army and keeping up with continental military developments, but don't understand why a major sword making establishment like the Hounslow factory needed to employ them to supervise their English counterparts, especially in the early 17th century when Britain was catching up. I felt the article didn't satisfy my question so I'm asking is my idea on indigenous British swords accurate?
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My own impression is that the non-British sword cutlers were valued more for their design and decorative innovation as opposed to construction innovation. There aren't too many ways to assemble a sword, but there are many different ways to finish them. If a particular culture had originated a particular arms form or technique, it would make sense that craftsmen apprenticed in that culture would be more adept than others as far as those forms and techniques are concerned.

Having said that, the Hounslow folks do seem to have contributed some innovative forms and techniques--the "mortuary" hilt and the threaded and pierced pommel capstan seen on some Hounslow hangers. But I'm not aware that those were imported. I think those would have been considered native since they appeared in the second quarter of the 17th c. I don't know if the British were still importing continental craftsmen in that period. I do know that they imported lots of brass-hilt German hangers in the first half of the 18th c.

IIRC the British valued continental steel over domestic production even into the 18th c., and that also might give the continental craftsmen an advantage. If they've spent their whole lives working with steel from the Solingen area, for example, it would make sense to employ them if you aim to use Solingen steel in your new sword factory.

Eljay probably can shed some light on this question.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just want to point out two things that I believe tend to get overlooked with regard to this question of why the Stuarts "resorted" to importing continental sword makers in the early to mid 17th c. i.e. "was there not enough talent and expertise in England at the time, if not why?"

First the Stuarts were not English per se, at least James was not, and the Scots had a long history of importing blades from continental Europe, particularly Solingen. So it seems natural that the Stuarts would look to have German bladesmiths come to work for them in England. Second, we should remember that in many ways, the 30 years War was the rennaissance equivalent of World War II, it was a huge and long and terrible conflict which engulfed much of Europe at the time and hence from about 1620 into the 1640s a lot of swords were being manufactured and we can be sure that the arms industry was booming. So as that conflict wound down there were was probably the typical boom/bust and therefore experienced folks from the main centers of arms manufacturing in Europe like Germany had to go looking for new employment and were very willing to relocate in order to be able to continue in their trade . It also generally true that in times of war the technology of weapons and weapons-making rapidly advances and that was probably just as true then as it is today so the Stuarts were probably also trying to get the latest knowledge and technology.

just my $0.02 TR
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most British people today don't drive British made cars for a variety of reasons be they cultural, price or simple preference. Its not neccesarily a case of foreign ones being superior (Aston Martin have proved in the last 5 years that the Brits can compete on even a luxury level). I suspect a similar case with sword manufactor during this period as well.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A resposne to the article: English Swords 1600 to 1650
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic