Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > London Museum Photos Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: London Museum Photos         Reply with quote

I brought y'all back some candy from various London museums, including the Museum of London, Museum In Docklands and Tower of London. Ask questions about anything you see below. I have higher resolution versions of all of these and can pick out specific details upon request.

Attachment: 103.93 KB
axe.jpg

Attachment: 65.28 KB
ballock.jpg

Attachment: 50.97 KB
ballock2.jpg

Attachment: 55.9 KB
hounslow.jpg

Attachment: 71.89 KB
spear.jpg

Attachment: 70.42 KB
spearclose.JPG

Attachment: 96.89 KB
saber.jpg

Attachment: 67.89 KB
saber2.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay Sean, you knew I was going to ask, in all your travels did you take any pictures of scabbards?
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a few more images, with emphasis on a very short hanger from a temporary exhibit at the Museum in Docklands (enjoy, Eljay!):

Attachment: 97.62 KB
hanger.jpg

Attachment: 108.28 KB
bill.jpg

Attachment: 52.55 KB
hanger2.jpg

Attachment: 105.11 KB
hanger3.jpg

Attachment: 86.78 KB
hanger4.jpg

Attachment: 73.54 KB
hanger6.jpg

Attachment: 104.66 KB
cap.jpg

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Okay Sean, you knew I was going to ask, in all your travels did you take any pictures of scabbards?

Whenever possible I photograph both sword and scabbard, but there simply aren't many scabbards left to photograph. Or perhaps there are a few remnants that would tell us lots but which aren't stable or complete enough for display. Keep in mind that the Museum of London deals largely with archaeologically recovered items. The Royal Armouries is much more likely to have scabbards, I would guess. I did see one medieval sword and scabbard at the MOL, but I don't recall if it was original or a reconstruction based on the fittings. Either way, it didn't seem to offer much insight into scabbard construction and was under a hauberk at the back of a dimly lit display. Maybe some of our friends in London can offer more info about that item (it's in a case next to the Black Plague film room).

-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have some questions about the grip of the sword shown in the first post above. The image below is a b&w detail of the grip, and it looks to me like the wrap consisted of leather over wood, with a single thick wire chasing a thicker braided(?) cord. Turks Heads top and bottom. I don't recall seeing braided wire like this. Is this actually just two well-fit strands of twisted wire? Does the leather sound right? There seems to be a remnant of something between wood and wire, but I can't tell what it is. Could this be missing an even smaller guage wire "background"?

Attachment: 59.83 KB
grip.jpg

-Sean

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did you by any chance capture any of the early medieval stuff from the Museum of London? In particular the bone sword hilt components and seaxes?
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeroen Zuiderwijk wrote:
Did you by any chance capture any of the early medieval stuff from the Museum of London? In particular the bone sword hilt components and seaxes?

I didn't get that material, Jeroen. Faced with such an overwhelming collection I decided to photograph only items in my main period of interest (ca. 1450-1650), with the notable exception of the axe shown here. I was able to go back and shoot some film one evening after closing, and I know I got some earlier stuff in that work. I know I shot some Roman knives, but I'll have to check my prints and see what else I got. If I have anything else of interest here I'll scan it and present it in this thread.

-Sean

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:

Whenever possible I photograph both sword and scabbard, but there simply aren't many scabbards left to photograph.

Sigh, I know it but hope springs eternal, and I had to ask. Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Sean Flynt wrote:

Whenever possible I photograph both sword and scabbard, but there simply aren't many scabbards left to photograph.

Sigh, I know it but hope springs eternal, and I had to ask. Happy

Just wait for that rumored new Wallace Collection book. They have some scabbards, and maybe they'll make it in.

-Sean

Danny Grigg

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean

Do you have any more pics of the spear and some information to share about the spear? (Origin / time period / dimensions etc).

Which museum is it from?

Its look similar to the spears in the attached pics.

Unfortunately I don't have any information about the spears I posted. If anyone has information please share.

The pic of the spear with the Partisan, Combination Holy Water Sprinkler-Gun & Gun Shield is from the book "The Armour & Arms of Henry VIII" by Thom Richardson (Published by the Royal Armouries). Its on the contents page with no caption and it doesn't appear elsewhere in the book.

Would all these spears be in the same category provided there is categories of spears??

Thanks

Danny
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Danny,

Most of those shots loook to be from the Frazier in Louiseville, Kentucky.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These are wonderful spears, aren't they? They're from the reign of Henry VIII, so early 16th c. Apparently, they were made for his guard. I recognize the series of photos posted above from the Frazier International History Museum in Louisville. My photos are from the Tower of London, where there are several such weapons. These are broad-bladed heads with internal sockets created by forming two leaves of the head around a mandrel, then forge-welding together the leaves and withdrawing the mandrel (the same way halberds of the period were made). It looked to me like the examples I saw at the Tower were a little over 6', which seems reasonable given their purpose and the size of the head.

All the examples of these spears I've seen have the same little cog-like maker's mark on the head, and IIRC these were imported from Italy. I'd LOVE to see somebody reproduce one of these, but I suspect that the process of creating the internal socket would make the project prohibitively expensive.

-Sean

Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Sean,

We must have been at the Tower at the same time! I was there on Easter Sunday just gone with the wife and the kids. I got some photos, but only of stuff everyone's seen already, i.e. Henry VIII's armours etc.

Hisham
Manouchehr M.

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much Sean for sharing these wonderful pictures. Did you see any Persian or Chinese weapons?

Kind regards

Manouchehr

http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de
Paul Tompkins

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean-

Thank you for the images. Do you have the suspected dates for the ballock dagger at the beginning of your phots? Also, do you have a photo that shows the "pommel" more directly?

Thank you,

-Paul
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I have some questions about the grip of the sword shown in the first post above. The image below is a b&w detail of the grip, and it looks to me like the wrap consisted of leather over wood, with a single thick wire chasing a thicker braided(?) cord. Turks Heads top and bottom. I don't recall seeing braided wire like this. Is this actually just two well-fit strands of twisted wire? Does the leather sound right? There seems to be a remnant of something between wood and wire, but I can't tell what it is. Could this be missing an even smaller guage wire "background"?

Hi Sean...

Thanks for taking time to post these museum pictures. I always love museum pictures since I rarely have the chance to go... and even when I do they seem to have laws against cameras.

As for the grip, from the picture, it looks like grips I have seen with a thick twisted wire and a thick untwisted wire with thinner twisted wire in between. ElJay has done some fantastic grip work with this arrangement. In this case it appears that the thinner twisted wire has been stripped off. It may be that what looks like leather may be remnants of one of the thin strands of twisted wire. It seems to me that wire completely covering the leather would make for a less secure grip covering. It would not allow the wire to bite into the wood core. It also looks like the wood between the coarse strands has been textured to make better contact with the wire.

Not sure about the braided look. However the times I have experimented with twisting two stands of wire together, when I continued to twist there was a kind of buckling that does not look too different from this. So it is possible that it is just two wires twisted to the max...

thanks again...

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Manuoucher: This will kill you, but I have to admit that I barely glanced around me while hurrying through the Wallace Collection's room of Eastern arms and armour. It is as spectacular as the Western collection, of course, but I had only a very brief time to study the main objects of my interest. You MUST visit the Wallace Collection the next time you are in London if you have never done so. Better yet, visit the Museo Stibbert in Florence. The Stibbert collection may be the West's finest collection of Eastern arms and armour. It has the added advantage of the best items of Western arms and armour you've never seen, most of it out in the open rather than behind glass.

Kirk: Thanks! I wondered if this was the type of grip at which Eljay excels. I may try it. Eek!

Paul: IIRC, the ballock dagger is 15th c. I tried to photograph the pommel but it was above my head and in low light. This is the best I could do with a shaky overhead extension and indirect viewing. It looks to me like there's a brass washer held in place by a rim of brass, with a roughly square nut of short , hollow-ground pyramidal form. The nut is engraved with radiating lines, like a sunburst. Sorry about the image quality. Blush

Attachment: 64.06 KB
nut.jpg

-Sean

Paul Tompkins

PostPosted: Sat 14 Apr, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean-

No problem at all! I'm happy to get an image of any quality Happy The photo certainly gives me a good idea of how the pommel looks.

Thanks for your reply,

-Paul

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > London Museum Photos
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic