Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How thick and snug was the gambeson worn beneath mail? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a general rule, your gambeson, arming tunic or whatever you chose to call your dedicated under armour garment, should be as tight fitting as posible, with plenty of space under the arms.

The kingsmirror (ca 1250) describes knightly armour as follows:
"The rider himself should be equipped in this wise: he should wear good soft [hose] made of soft and thoroughly blackened linen cloth, which should reach up to the belt; outside these, good mail hose which should come up high enough to be girded on with a double strap; over these he must have good [mail breeches] made of linen cloth of the sort that I have already described; finally, over these he should have good knee-pieces madeof thick iron and rivets hard as steel. Above and next to the body he should Wear a soft [arming tunic], which need not come lower than to the middle of, the thigh. Over this he must have a strong [chest protector] made of good iron covering the body from the nipples to the trousers belt; outside this, a well-made hauberk and over the hauberk a firm [panzar] made in the manner which I have already described but without sleeves"
(direct translations in [..] )

the reference to the cloth armour as "soft" most likely indicated that it sould be made from finely woven fabric, rather than coarse and stiff sackcloth. As for the "blackened" bit, we have no clue.

As you can see, the arming tunic is not suposed to be knee length; the "mail breeches" provide padding on the thighs.
The independent cloth armours seen in Maciowski and other sources are knee length, but these are not made to be worn under armour.
Interestlingly, the sources often speak about "Arming tunic AND panzar" when describing a full cloth armour, indicating that at least some of the maciowsky style cloth armours might consist of a sleeved inner armour, with a longer, sleeveless cloth armour on top.
Such "panzar"s can bee seen over mail on some of the heavy mac footment, particularly in the sieges.

We know that the heavy, independent cloth armours of the 15th century where about 30 layers thick, and where considered proof against most attacks.
From this one could postulate that a 13th century knight could wear a 10-20 layer "arming tunic" under his mail, which would be plenty good enough unless you plan to be lanced in the chest on a regular basis, or charging head first into the heathen horse-archer hordes, in wich case you put on an extra 10-20 layers on topp of your mail.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
David Teague

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Reinier van Noort wrote:
Then why is the Maciejowski bible full of normal soldiers with gambesons that are not front-opening?
Cause soldiers help each other get dressed.

I think the point that's being lost is this...

In period, you traveled and fought with others. They helped you into your kit and you helped them (unless there was a knight/retainer dynamic going on). (We do this in my group)

A man was not a solitary armoured island who did all arming himself.

Cheers,

David

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Regarding putting armour on by yourself: This is another difference between coats of plates and brigandines. The coat of plates fastened at the rear which meant that it couldn't be put on without assistance. Brigandines were fastened at the sides or front so you can put it on yourself. This could imply that brigandines were worn by a greater number of people (reaching much lower in the ranks) than the COP.

Just FYI Dan, thats not totally accurate....... I have a very good replica of Armour #1 from Wisby and I can reach behind and buckle up the straps behind my back by myself, then tightening each in turn to get it right. It can be done. The front plates in Armour #1 are dished to go around the contour of the front of the body, and the side and back plates articulate such that it wraps tightly around the sides and back.

However I agree that the functional need of being able to put on all of your armour by yourself is probably more of a modern requirement than within period where someone would have been able to help you. Its another good example of how modern sensibilities are often different than within period.

Sander, these questions you are asking are all good questions. However when it comes to armour the answer to most of these questions, like the one in your OP, is "it depends". There are always tradeoffs when it comes to armour. Weight vs stopping power, vs mobility verses coverage, etc etc etc. Although there is no shortage of internet forum experts who are more than willing to tell you exactly how something should be, you really have to find what is right for you and that may depend on your application (SCA vs re-enactment vs HEMA), your body type, how all the pieces of your armour work together, the weather, there are many factors. Aketon under the armour - sure - don't want it to be too loose. But don't want it so tight you can't move. Especially with the arms, there are ways to sew the arms that increase mobility.

One final comment - I have a coat armour from Matuls and I think it is a very high quality arming garment and I like it and use it a lot. Like all my arming garments I did have to modify it though. When it comes to arming garments I think you have to be willing to experiment and either do some sewing or have someone that is good at sewing. Fortunately, I have women in my family and multiple sewing machines. just my $0.02 TR
Neil Langley

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am tempted by a gambeson, but this thread has made me wonder about a few points:

Apart from historical accuracy is there any advantage to hand sewing? Can you actually spot a machine sewn version? (I probably never would, but then I have less than zero fashion sense - I buy clothes just twice a year and hate it).

Is a high collar, like that of the Matuls ones, common historically? Most gambesons and jacks I see in paintings seem to have a round neck and a standard (or mail shirt?) under this. Can you simply sew a standard to a high collar?

Neil.
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom R. wrote:
Sander, these questions you are asking are all good questions. However when it comes to armour the answer to most of these questions, like the one in your OP, is "it depends".

Yeah I know there are no easy answers. That's why I love to hear from people who have experience wearing the stuff. I have a much better idea now with regards to the questions I originally posted, except for this one:

Sander Marechal wrote:
How resistant to chafing damage is rough linen canvas? The gambeson is quite expensive and I would hate to wear it out fast when I start wearing a riveted mail hauberk over it.

I have read comments that some people have had trouble with some indian riveted mail damaging their gambeson, but I have no idea what kind of gambeson they were wearing. I know that the type of mail also plays a significant part, but I am wondering if the rough linen gambesons like the Manutils resist such chafing damage well.

Quote:
Fortunately, I have women in my family and multiple sewing machines.

I got a sewing machine for Christmas and I'm currently learning how to sew myself Big Grin

Neil Langley wrote:
Apart from historical accuracy is there any advantage to hand sewing? Can you actually spot a machine sewn version?

Having seen hand-sewn and machine-sewn versions in the store side-by-side, I can tell the difference by looking at it. I don't know if there are advantages apart from aesthetics. In my case I am going to choose machine-sewn since my gambeson will be covered by a hauberk and surcoat in the future. Machine-sewn is a lot cheaper.
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Machine-sewn seams use a lock-stitch, which has the disadvantage that once part of the stitch breaks, the entire seam may get pulled out/unravel. Hand sewing generally does not use this type of stitch, so that even if one stitch breaks, the loose thread won't easilly pull out the next stitches in line.

It's a bit like how knitted material can unravel much more than woven material.

At least, this is my understanding, and I've had machined seams come apart that way on my regular clothing.

Ottawa Swordplay
David Teague

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One thing however....

Most manufacturers (including Matuls) does not put in the portapeice. It is a matching wide strip of padded material that is pointed on the inside to cover the gap where the garment closes.

I was painfully reminded of this tonight during longsword freeplay when my long time training partner nailed me with a thrust that passed though the gap. OOOOPHH! Eek!

I now remember that I'd planned on making one for my coat. Blush

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Sander Marechal

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good point David. I'll have to add one myself as well then.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David,

Ah, tooooo true. The recent aketons/gambesons my wife has made has them. It was after we saw it on a period padded garment that she began doing it. I had never seen it there either so I was surprised as well.

Just my two cents Sander. It is always a good idea to start at the beginning. Get the aketon(underarmour) that works and fits well and then moved to mail and plate. Nothing is worse than having a wonderful bit of armour made that is like a second skin that only fits with your skin on.

RPM
Jessica Finley
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The other advantage/disadvantage (depending on your perspective) to hand sewing versus machine sewing is patterning.

Many people don't realize it, but if you are to machine sew a garment, you use completely different patterning techniques than you use when you are hand sewing. For instance, in a pourpoint, if you were to use the Charles du Blois pattern, you would change a few things about it, primarily, all the small gussets. You would instead combine them into a few large gussets (and this is done by most manufacturers). This is because sewing gussets with a sewing machine is challenging at best and still ends up taking a bit of handwork. Due to the fact that you're changing the pattern, you cannot get quite as close of a fit and you will end up using a significantly larger amount of fabric than the original.

For most people, though, the trade-off of having time saved at the sewing machine makes the greater expense of fabric and slightly less perfect fit completely worth it.

This is a *very* simple example, and there are many more that I could offer (let me tell you about making plunderhosen from Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion on a machine sometime), but the point is if you're using a machine, only LOOSELY base your pattern on the historical versions. Otherwise you're in for a really tough time.

Also - there are specific types of hand stitches that are used for specific types of seams. Oftentimes when people decide to be more "historical" and hand sew a garment, they neglect the research on what type of seam they should be stitching and end up missing the mark... much like the thread on "riveted mail doesn't equal historical mail."

Hope this helps,
Jessica

PS - see the attached Pourpoint pattern versus a modern "version" which is optimized for the machine.

Attachment: 40.09 KB
pourpoint.jpg
Historical Pattern (Charles du Blois)

Attachment: 197.46 KB
Modern Pattern (mine) [ Download ]

Selohaar Fechtschule, Free Scholar
http://www.selohaar.org/fechtschule

Fühlen Designs, Owner/Designer/Seamstress
http://fuhlendesigns.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sander Marechal

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Just my two cents Sander. It is always a good idea to start at the beginning. Get the aketon(underarmour) that works and fits well and then moved to mail and plate. Nothing is worse than having a wonderful bit of armour made that is like a second skin that only fits with your skin on.

My plan exactly. My previous threads about hauberks and corrazinas were mainly to get a really good idea of the kind of armour that I want. Now I know, so I can plan the underarmour Happy
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These are all really good points (pun intended). I was just trying to say that being able to buy something that works great directly "off the shelf" is again a modern sensibility that really in many ways doesn't apply to armour. You have to be willing to modify and tailor your arming garments if you want them to work well for you. This means btw, sometimes its better to get a pattern garment from a supplier with machine stitching so you can easily take it apart to modify it for yourself. Or conversely, as Craig and Jessica have stated be ready to do some hand stitching over the machine stitch to strengthen the main seams. The other option is just to go for it and cut cloth yourself and make one for yourself, starting with cheaper easier to sew cotton at first while you are learning and then more appropriate linen or silk (watch out for silk - although strong its a heat trap) as you gain experience. Personally, I think if you are going to do one yourself a good compromise is quilting with machine stitching and then hand sewing the big pattern pieces together. I strongly agree that you should work on your arming garments first, that is the best advice so far in this thread. There is a tendency to just jump right into mail and plate bits and pieces before getting the foundational arming garments right. If you get your arming garments right first you will definitely be ahead of the game! tr
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

because a front opening gambeson is asking for trouble if that is the only defense you are wearing. Happy think how easy it is to cut the straps or get a blade between the folds in a frontal attack. jsut an opinon though.

and be wary about Norman uses of the aketon. again there isn't any references for them either just like the dark age culture before them. I believe was it not the 1st crusade that soldiers made reference to the middle eastern use of the padded garments?

oh! my apologies, i did not see the second page to this post.

ug David that smarts! I have one on my Jack, but I did not have a name for it, thanks.
Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
because a front opening gambeson is asking for trouble if that is the only defense you are wearing. Happy think how easy it is to cut the straps or get a blade between the folds in a frontal attack. jsut an opinon though.

and be wary about Norman uses of the aketon. again there isn't any references for them either just like the dark age culture before them. I believe was it not the 1st crusade that soldiers made reference to the middle eastern use of the padded garments?

oh! my apologies, i did not see the second page to this post.

ug David that smarts! I have one on my Jack, but I did not have a name for it, thanks.

Cutting a strap is MUCH more difficult than one might imagine. If it was so easy, why would Italians put straps on fronts of their breastplates? And cutting just one strap won't make any difference. One needs to cut at least 1/3 of all the straps/points to open a gap into which a blade can be thrust. And portapeice protects from a blade that gets between the folds.

Also consider that while blunt training swords have rounded points that slide when they hit cloth armor and therefore get into gaps pretty easily, a sharp point would bite into the cloth. I haven't done any serious tests with cloth armor and sharp weapons, but I did thrust my helmet with a sharp sword and I did shoot lamellar armor with my 90 lb bow. In both cases sharp hardened boint bit into the mild steel even when it hit at some angle while I was expecting it to simply glance off.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is quite posible to put on even a very tight fitting cloth armour by yourself, even if it has no front opening. It just takes a bit of time and wrigling. Wink

Front opening garments are generally not in use in 13th century western Europe. Neither was form fitted clothing.
Front closing cloth armour seems to have appeared sometime in the middle 14th c, along with front opening tunics.

Medevial tailoring is generally extremely pragmatic. How the seams run, how many pieces you use, and such trivialites as symetry seems to be of lesser importance than the final shape of the garment, and conservation of fabrics.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:
Reinier van Noort wrote:
Then why is the Maciejowski bible full of normal soldiers with gambesons that are not front-opening?
Cause soldiers help each other get dressed.

I think the point that's being lost is this...

In period, you traveled and fought with others. They helped you into your kit and you helped them (unless there was a knight/retainer dynamic going on). (We do this in my group)

A man was not a solitary armoured island who did all arming himself.

Cheers,

David

I was attempting to politely point out a flaw in Sander's logic in the post above mine... Confused

School voor Historische Schermkunsten

www.bruchius.com
Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:
Thanks David. I've seen a couple of posts of you about Matuls on the Armour Archive as well Happy

Since you apparently know his products, do you happen to know the difference between his type 2 and type 4 gambeson? I can't tell from the pictures. Apart from the color it looks pretty much like the same model to me...

David Teague wrote:
I've never quite figured out the difference myself. We have always bought the #4 as our standard coat...

Hi gents,

Sorry to reply to this part of the thread late, but from Matuls' site:

Gambeson Type 2: 'Arming cloth worn under chain [sic] mail ... the trunk has eight layers, the sleeves and collar have six layers and the arms have ten layers ... It weights approximately 3kg.'

Gambeson Type 4: 'Arming cloth worn under plate armour ... the trunk, sleeves and collar have five layers and the arms have seven layers ... The aketon weighs approximately 2kg.'

I added emphasis to 'aketon' - their description only calls it a 'gambeson' in the title, but after that uses 'aketon' three times. So they're calling #2 a gambeson and saying that it's for use under mail, while #4 is an aketon for use under plate.

If you have a look at the pictures at full screen and side by side, you'll see that #2 looks more padded and slightly 'Michelin man' lumpy, while #4 is more 'svelte'. It also looks like the neck is more complete on #4.
Sander Marechal

PostPosted: Sat 03 Apr, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. I e-mailed Tomasz of Matuls and he told me the same thing. They're the same except for the amount of padding.

I have ordered a slightly modified type 4. I'm having mine made longer so it comes down to halfway between my hips and knees. There will be a small slit in the back to facilitate movement with the added length. I'll post pictures when it arrives in a couple of weeks.
Bart Zantingh

PostPosted: Thu 08 Apr, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom R. wrote:
You have to be willing to modify and tailor your arming garments if you want them to work well for you. This means btw, sometimes its better to get a pattern garment from a supplier with machine stitching so you can easily take it apart to modify it for yourself.

The other option is just to go for it and cut cloth yourself and make one for yourself, starting with cheaper easier to sew cotton at first while you are learning and then more appropriate linen or silk (watch out for silk - although strong its a heat trap) as you gain experience.

This is so true, IMHO. Especially the silk and heat stuff Wink

In my last job as (among other things) a medieval tailor in Archeon, I've experienced that making garments yourself (whether by hand or machine) greatly improves your understanding about how things are made, and, even more importantly, why they are made the way they are. There are all kinds of ways to make and wear (arming) clothing that look like they are authentic, but you can really see the difference between things that only look and things that are actually made to be authentic. The best way to learn things is to do it. Experiment is, I think, the only way to real understanding.

You can look at pictures all day and theorize about what, how and why, but if you experience it in real life it suddenly makes so much mor sense...

As for $0.02, that was mine Wink

Bart

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How thick and snug was the gambeson worn beneath mail?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: