Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > About Bastard swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An arming sword is a one handed sword. It would be used by foot troops as well as mounted troops. The distinction seems to be that the term arming sword was used to distiguish between war sword or longsword or anything beyond a normal two handed sword. Arming swords could have finger rings too. Later on, they might have just as complex guards as longswords. You can finger to ricasso of a sword whether it has finger rings or not. For clarification, I think Steven was refering to one-handed-sword and shield. Could you fight with a longsword and shield? Sure, if the longsword was balanced well enough.

This is all about preference. Not everyone prefers to finger the ricasso. Some people might prefer to finger the ricasso but would rather trust in a heavy gauntlet. Maybe some people just want to have the option, and so they use a sword with finger rings but don't finger the ricasso all of the time. Of course for unarmoured combat, you don't just walk around the streets and countryside in armour, finger rings and other complex gaurds provide good hand protection than you can get with just a heavy glove.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, Thanks. So i guess that bastard swords used on horseback were incredibly well balanced too. Do you know if scabbards for swords with side and finger rings have any type of modification?
Did estoc swords have siderings too?

¨Sólo me desenvainarás por honor y nunca me envainarás sin gloria¨

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > About Bastard swords
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: