Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Is SCA fighting similar to real fighting? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 
Christopher Punty

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda wrote:
This is a rather touchy subject in the SCA as can be seen in lengthy posts on other forums. The SCA Organizational Handbook section II.B states "Anyone may attend Society events provided he or she wears an attempt at pre-17th century clothing." The SCA Marshal's Handbook section VI.A states "Special attention should be paid to appearance and the atmosphere of a medieval event should be maintained." That's it as far as a combat appearance directive. Confused

I currently have a kit that can easily pass the "looks good at 10' rule" which I'm trying to get to a "looks good at 10 cm" level. Almost a decade and a half ago I started in one of those pickle barrel armours with sneakers and a poorly fitting great helm. The balance, I believe, is to welcome and encourage newcomers without demanding a huge outlay in cash for armour right away. Some methods of increasing appearance over a specified time frame have been tossed about. I really have no opinion on the matter since I only worry about what I can control (my kit, my tent, my camp, etc.)

I would like to add grappling to the equation as well, but this is a whole other can of worms that is also hotly debated.

Yea its unfortunate how resistant the SCA is to improving appearance, a 1/2 decent kit isnt that hard to put together with all the resources available online. Personally I'd be willing to see a more lax (but still stronger than current) standard for people in their 1st year, with a higher standard for established members. My kits not perfect, for example I need to change out the spaulders for a more period design, and I need greaves, and sabutons still, but it presents a image MUCH closer to what the Society is supposed to be than the plastic paladins and "barbarians." I'm not trying to set the bar at living history group levels, having pages of documentation on my kit, but im sick of pirates, elves, plastic paladins etc.

I dont know how well grappling would do in the SCA, they want to let anybody on the field who wants to fight and alot of those guys have neither the physical ability or mental aptitude to safely grapple. I'm sure grappling would devolve into guys running around trying to tackle people, and with the size of many SCA fighters (a SCA medium being the equivalent of like XL) that brings some serious safety issues.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jan, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well Chris, I think the armor look is better done via peer pressure then it is by regulation. There are a lot of good SCA fighters who can't afford better...or at all. If they can't use the old hand me downs or cheap plastic armor, they are out of the game. I mean honestly, even with the regulation as is, unless you have hand me downs that fits you, your looking at several hundred dollars...and if we imposed your must look decent rule, your looking at least double that. Which may not be a big deal to most people on this forum...but I assure you that it can be a big deal to quite a large chunk of the SCA. I rather have the upgrade as you can afford attitude that we now have. I too would like to see society wide whole body targeting and none of the fight from knee non-sense. However for shins, that means that min armor will now require solid greaves...which may clash with some kits...but I don't think it's a big deal personally. In anycase, I like the SCA is open to most people and don't want to see it regulated to not be.

Bill, I know the SCA allows for other weapons...that's one of the best thing about the SCA. In fact one of our superdukes is known for glaive work. We have a 80 year old knight known for greatsword and another for his mace work. However the premise of SCA combat doesn't even remotely begin to work until you give each combatant axes, maces, hammer and such. That is where the SCA combat falls short. Yeah if you looks at SCA techniques from using a shield and a mace, it actually makes a lot of sense...as a sword and shield...not so much.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Is SCA fighting similar to real fighting?
Page 11 of 11 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: