Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Results of test cutting on leather Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jul, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

America uses Imperial because the UN and EU went metric. If you want us to go metric make Imperial the UN standard, and America will be on the metric in a week.
A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

People only think Britain went metric. They still use miles, inches, feet and all sorts of things here. The interesting thing is to see what is used more common, by who and where. I have a friend when I told him my son was born I gave his weight in kilos and he said yeah so how much did he really weigh. He is not old, my age born and raised here in the south. We go to the health centre to get my son weighed, kilos. It is a mad world we live in.

I enjoyed the testing. Do not worry if people cannot be happy with your testing always.... they usually are the ones who are unhappy about most everything anyways Big Grin . You do your best and thats that. If you do any more please post it. I thought it was very interesting. Those poor defenseless plastic bottles.... Laughing Out Loud

RPM
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Randall said I also enjoyed the test and they do give an idea of the limitations of leather armour.

One thing I wonder about is the use of a padded garment below the leather ( gambison ) would reduce the effects of cuts to a degree. Chopping cuts I believe maybe to a degree ? With drawcuts and a very sharp blade the padding should do little.

Oh, and also not historically proven that these were ever used, a form of " Ring maille " ( for lack of a better word and a word that sort of grates on the nerves of some here ! ) might spoil a cut and limit the effect of drawcuts. ( but might be a little rough on the test blades: I would use an expendable blade for those types of test ).

Anyway a reasonably close pattern of rings or just rivets would almost assure that one or more would get in the way of a drawcut.

Probably much less useful against thrusts ? The cost of leather and the weight and the soso effectiveness sort of would make me prefer any decent quality maille as protection I think.

Oh, there have been other Topics threads dealing with the same question here before so a search for those would save us from repeating ourselves too much: I sort of summarized my conclusions based on what I remember from those previous Topic thread by the way. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Kronisch wrote:

Has anyone ever tested the resistance of chain maille against thrusts?

You may be interested in this article by Michael Edelson (who is a member here) from the Revival Clothing website... http://revivalclothing.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=14 Michael experimented with both bow and sword (cuts as well as thrusts) against riveted mail backed with a gambeson on a pell. This is a very interesting article in my humble opinion, and one I think you may enjoy.

Kenton
Colin F.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
People only think Britain went metric. They still use miles, inches, feet and all sorts of things here. The interesting thing is to see what is used more common, by who and where. I have a friend when I told him my son was born I gave his weight in kilos and he said yeah so how much did he really weigh. He is not old, my age born and raised here in the south. We go to the health centre to get my son weighed, kilos. It is a mad world we live in.

I enjoyed the testing. Do not worry if people cannot be happy with your testing always.... they usually are the ones who are unhappy about most everything anyways Big Grin . You do your best and thats that. If you do any more please post it. I thought it was very interesting. Those poor defenseless plastic bottles.... Laughing Out Loud

RPM

Just to add to that, I'm only 23, and I've had to use both imperial and metric at school...i give my height and weight in imperial but I use metric for buying and baking food. Sword weights and lengths are in imperial for me but other measurements for other objects need to be metric...

...it's just what you get used to I guess ;-)

I enjoyed the tests too, the more inquisitive people are the better our understanding will be, even if it only gives a small insight into how leather reacts to sword cuts and thrusts. Nice work and keep it up!

Melchett - "In short, a German spy is giving away every one of our battle plans."
Cpt. Darling - "You look surprised, Blackadder."
Edmund - "I cerainly am, sir. I didn't realise we had any battle plans."

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Results of test cutting on leather
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: