Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Miniature Polish Coronation Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ruth J

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Miniature Polish Coronation Sword         Reply with quote

Recently I was given as a souvenir by a Polish friend a miniature Polish Coronation Sword. It must be at least older than 1989 because the price tag is in old Zlotys, not new Zlotys. It is about 7-1/2 inches long and about half an inch wide. Google does not give any results for "Miniature Polish Coronation Sword" but Google Images of "Polish Coronation Swords" results in the first two looking like my sword.

I was given your web site by a professional theatrical fight instructor, and am very curious about the age and use of this gift. It is made out of some kind of metal which tarnishes, and is mounted on red felt and affixed to the felt with red ribbons. Following is the information my Polish friend found on Polish Coronation Swords, but there is no mention of miniature ones or the use or reason therefor. Any information you can provide will be deeply appreciated:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia : "Szczerbiec, (literally notched sword) is a sword that was traditionally used in the coronation ceremony of Polish kings. It is the last surviving part of the Polish Crown Jewels - the crown and other items were lost during numerous wars in the past.

Although according to the legend it was used by Bolesław I Chrobry (Boleslaus the Brave, 992-1025), who notched it when hitting the Golden Gate of Kiev in 1018, it was most probably made in the 12th century, possibly for prince Konrad of Masovia . The Golden Gate was constructed in 1037, some time after Chrobry allegedly went to Kiev. Szczerbiec was used during coronations from the time of Władysław Łokietek to the time of partitions (around 1792).

After the partitions, it was first captured by Prussians, who in 1796 took it to Berlin. Later it found itself in Russia. Finally in 1928 Russia gave it back to Poland, in accordance with the Treaty of Riga. At the outbreak of the Polish Defensive War of 1939 (World War II) it was evacuated from Poland to France. Then in 1940 it was evacuated to Canada, together with the gold deposits of the Polish banks. It came back to Poland in 1959.

Szczerbiec has been adopted as a badge symbol by many Polish nationalist organisations. It is currently on display in the Wawel Royal Castle Museum, Kraków."
P. Czuba

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jul, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Szczerbiec's drawings before damage inflicted by partitionists (occupants) and preservationists.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Miniature Polish Coronation Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic