Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Definition of a master Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next 
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Knight wrote:
That's because you're fixated on modern notions of "mastery".

I'm not fixated on anything but fact, thoughtful opinion and civil discourse. I'm happy to recommend that fixation to all here.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ray McCullough wrote:
When the masters of old were tested they were tested by other masters, whether they were a mason or a swordsman. The masters doing the test ing were not "relatively low level performers "or they would not have been sought out by patrons. I don't see how master was ever viewed as a low level title, then or now. Since we don't have masters to judge if someone has reached master level than we cannot have masters in renaissance martial arts.

If we decide to make masters of relatively low level performers, that does nothing to promote are craft as legitimate. We will end up with people who can't perform simple techniques with proficiency being called masters.

And if we don't, we will still have those people. We'll just call them something else.

It's just a word. A word that was historically used to describe someone of proficiency. We'll use all the other words (scholar, free scholar, provost, etc.) but we won't use master. Why? Because of what similar words mean in Japanese or Chinese? Does that have any relevance to what we do? Should it?

Some people seem to think master implies a universal perfection without the possibility of relative value, such as one master being better than another.

How about the "master" of a school, as in "headmaster"? Was he a "master" educator in the Japanese sense? Or the master of a ship, as in the "sailing master"? Should a sailing master be among the best in the world, acknowledged by other masters, or should he be just a guy that knows how to sail that particular ship better than anyone else aboard?

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/

Last edited by Michael Edelson on Tue 24 Jul, 2007 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Hugh Knight wrote:
That's because you're fixated on modern notions of "mastery".

I'm not fixated on anything but fact, thoughtful opinion and civil discourse. I'm happy to recommend that fixation to all here.

Couldn't agree more, Sean. How can notions of mastery change when, to my mind at least, a Master is merely a person whom is recognized by his peers or by those who are "in the know" of his/her particular field of expertise. Throughout history persons have been called "Master" because they have come as close to perfection as possible of their art as seen through the eyes of those surrounding them. Ideals of perfection or mastery of a specific art form (ie: the sword maker or the sword user for our examples here) may change to some extent, but the feeling of the man who is "one of the best" cannot change just because the Victorians or our own 21st Century pundits choose to attach a certain moniker to these ideals. If that were the case, then we would not even be having this discourse. Every man has someone he feels is a master in their field. Most here will acknowledge Peter and Vince as two masters in swordmaking, and as Christian said, Terry Brown could easily be considered a modern day master of Medieval fencing strictures.

Saying that, and in keeping with the original question: In reiteration; to me, a master is defined by those about him as having a great knowledge and grand skills of his chosen field of endeavor; attainable by anyone, but reached by only the chosen few who give their heart and soul in creating the best for all others.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Mike Cartier

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

masters had not only great knowledge but demonstrable skill above and beyond the ordinary practitioner.

making some sort of difference between fechtschule environment and non fechtschule ignores the fact that these arts we taught for war. Meyer for example, no matter what you thought of his contribution to martial arts was a master at arms for several prominent leaders of the time and was asked to make his book by the greatest of leaders in his time and era for the purposes of indoctrinatiing more people into the knightly arts of war for the purposes of going to war. As stated in his book in several places, germans of his day needed skills in war. I doubt these masters showed up to train armies with no experience with war or fighting. The very term master was only applied after extensive testing , by testing i mean fighting, not posing not lecturing or instructing but fighting. This testing was done by his peers not laymen, so anyone today attempting to use the name master or fechtmeister is only going to be able to do so by belittling the reality of what that meant back then. Thats why so many of us find it so insulting to the entire field of HEMA for people to be claiming master titles, the only way they can justify it is like Hugh Knight is doing, by trying to pass the title off as some nominal thing that did not get bought with blood sweat over a lifetime and require frequent evidence of skill, a title of no importance really that any of us can claim as soon as we get two other people to call us master.

I have no pretentions of what the words master means in the rest of the martial arts world today, it is not some mystical title, that mysticism is a fantasy. Masters today, as yesterday were men of great skill in thier field who demonstrated this skill to the rest of the skilled practitioners in his field. By group consent they would bestow the title after he showed his skills in a competetive manner, not simply a theory test.

Seeing as modern HEMA practitioners do not fight as hard as even our fechtschule brethren who we cast so many doubtful references to, i don't see how any of us have any right whatsoever to bestow this title of master on anyone, none of us are tested in the manner on the masters of old and we do not even match the danger levels and experience acheived by the fechtschule. So lets just train and stop worrying about titles and who is what, we are all nothing and frankly without the practical need we lack the motivation to ever be as martial as the great masters.

The problem is HEMA is brought low by the collective actions of hollywood and SCA type organizations whose well meaning but misguided actions have made the average persoon see no value or content in HEMA whatsoever. Its a giant hole we are hard pressed to climb out of and collectivly the HEMA community has been digging its way out but when some one comes along and flaunts silly titles in reference top what we do we are dragged back down into the pit of ignorance and bad information. What purpose do these titles serve but to puff egos and practice self agrandizement. I see no need for this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Hugh Knight

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Meisterschaft         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:
I am very sure that Jeffrey, like all other ARMA members, does not have any romantic notions of swordsmanship. I don't think you will see Jeffrey dressed up in bright colored elves cloths claiming some Lordship title and talking about chivalry, dragons, and dancing with his sword. For ARMA scholars the focus is always on recreating these lost arts as true combat martial arts. As John Clements has often said, "We don't take ourselves very serious but we do take these arts very serious."

No one brought up ARMA, Randall, and I'm sure no one wants to get into that discussion again.

But Jeff's writing does indicate romantic notions about swordsmanship and medieval combat. "Romantic" doesn't always refer to fantasy creatures or to role playing as you infer, it also refers to those who see a given period as being more dangerous or more noble or more genteel or more whatever than it really was. In this particular instance, Jeff's error of romanticism was to assume more deadly sword fights going on than there really were. Most knights weren't crusading heroes, battering evil Black Knights in epic duels every other weekend, they were more like county executives who might, if they were lucky, have one good military compaign in their entire lives with, perhaps, one or two serious battles. Likewise, most fencing masters probably had few or no lethal duels in their entire lives (although given their profession and the nature of Man they probably inflated this just as many modern martial arts instructors do). So Jeff's assertion that all fencing masters were blooded warriors with scores of lethal encounters under their belts is simply a romantic misconception of the middle ages designed to allow the imaginer create a world more in keeping with his heroic imagination. It was a bloody, cruel time, it's true, just not so much as some of us have let Hollywood convince us it was.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Cartier wrote:
The problem is HEMA is brought low by the collective actions of hollywood and SCA type organizations whose well meaning but misguided actions have made the average persoon see no value or content in HEMA whatsoever. Its a giant hole we are hard pressed to climb out of and collectivly the HEMA community has been digging its way out but when some one comes along and flaunts silly titles in reference top what we do we are dragged back down into the pit of ignorance and bad information. What purpose do these titles serve but to puff egos and practice self agrandizement. I see no need for this.

Personally, I agree with this last part, and titles have never meant much to me.

However, it should be pointed out that Eastern martial arts have been very successful in western countries in large part because of their use of fancy titles..."black belt", "master", "grand master", etc. People want accomplishment, and a title or a belt gives you that. If Asian arts offered only study for the sake of studying, they would be fringe arts to this day.

I have had someone contact me through our website with an interest in learning the sword. He asked me if I was a sword master. I told him that I am just a student of the sword but that I would be happy to share what I know with him. He then asked if my teacher was a master. I told him that my teacher does not consider himself a master either. He seemed very disappointed and expressed the opinion, in not so many words, that learning something is worthless if you don't learn it from a master. Needless to say, he never showed up.

No great loss to the art, right? I agree. But we often talk about increasing the popularity of HEMA and making it more appealing to the general public. As someone who has taught Eastern martial arts professionally for many years, I can tell you with reasonable certainty that this attitude is anything but rare in the average martial arts enthusiast.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
It's just a word. A word that was historically used to describe someone of proficiency. We'll use all the other words (scholar, free scholar, provost, etc.) but we won't use master. Why? Because of what similar words mean in Japanese or Chinese? Does that have any relevance to what we do? Should it?

Some people seem to think master implies a universal perfection without the possibility of relative value, such as one master being better than another.

How about the "master" of a school, as in "headmaster"? Was he a "master" educator in the Japanese sense? Or the master of a ship, as in the "sailing master"? Should a sailing master be among the best in the world, acknowledged by other masters, or should he be just a guy that knows how to sail that particular ship better than anyone else aboard?

Michael

If the title "master" is just a word then why do so many want the title? If "master" just means "teacher" then why do those who want the title not simply call themselves "teachers"? I don't think anyone would have a problem with the leader of a group, school, or organization calling themself "School Master" or "Headmaster". But those titles are very different than "Swordmaster" or "Master of Swordsmenship". Two things are very clear: (1) Within the context being discussed, the title "master" refers to someone who has mastered the art, it does imply perfection of the art. That is why a number of people want the title. (2) There is no one living today to is even close of mastering the art. Jake Norwood, the ARMA Deputy Director, once point out that we all suck at these arts, some people suck more than others and some people suck less than others, but in the end we all suck at these arts.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Jason G. Smith

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just my $.02 - I tend to agree with Hugh and others on this. Our fencing school is called Les Maitres D'armes, which for those of you not fluent in the language of Moliere, means "Masters at Arms." Now, we make no pretention of being masters of any kind, but in light of what a master at arms was - someone who taught and oversaw fencing etc., we are qualified in that regard, and that was our only intent. It only came to our attention afterwards - after catching some flak for using what some snobs refer to as a "reserved title" - that some people took master of arms to be something quite different from what we proposed. There are two very different views on what a master is.

Now, if you ask me if I am a master of the art (as in having mastered it), then I most definitely am not - this art hasn't even been fully explored yet. On the other hand, if you ask me if I am someone's master, then in a sense I am - they learn from me, I teach what I know, and I get recognition as such from my students. 'Nuff said.

Cheers,
Jason

Les Maîtres d'Armes
Member of the
Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

... above all, you should feel in your conscience that your quarrel is good and just. - Le Jeu de la Hache
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:

Michael

If the title "master" is just a word then why do so many want the title? If "master" just means "teacher" then why do those who want the title not simply call themselves "teachers"? I don't think anyone would have a problem with the leader of a group, school, or organization calling themself "School Master" or "Headmaster". But those titles are very different than "Swordmaster" or "Master of Swordsmenship". Two things are very clear: (1) Within the context being discussed, the title "master" refers to someone who has mastered the art, it does imply perfection of the art. That is why a number of people want the title. (2) There is no one living today to is even close of mastering the art. Jake Norwood, the ARMA Deputy Director, once point out that we all suck at these arts, some people suck more than others and some people suck less than others, but in the end we all suck at these arts.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW

It is my understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that the word master in medieval fencing guilds meant the head of a school, or someone certififed to teach the art by the guild, just as a master blacksmith was someone who could open his own shop and take on apprentices. As was recently pointed out to me by my friend Brian Hook, fencing guilds existed to train fencing masters, i.e. teachers of fencing, not warriors. These fencing masters then either got jobs teaching nobles and/or their soldiers or opened their own guilds. Therefore anyone teaching was a fencing master, and not necessarily a master fencer.

By that definition of the word master, anyone that teaches fencing today and is recognized by his or her peers as being a qualified instructor (as opposed to someone like me who is studying under someone and passing along the teachings because of geographic limitations) is a fencing master. Again, not(necessarily) a master of fencing.

If we are going to recreate a lost art, and use as much of its language and conventions as possible, should we exclude one particular word because we don't want to be seen as arrogant? Would that not be coloring the tradition with our modern prejudices?

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Jason G. Smith

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
[
It is my understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that the word master in medieval fencing guilds meant the head of a school, or someone certififed to teach the art by the guild, just as a master blacksmith was someone who could open his own shop and take on apprentices. As was recently pointed out to me by my friend Brian Hook, fencing guilds existed to train fencing masters, i.e. teachers of fencing, not warriors. These fencing masters then either got jobs teaching nobles and/or their soldiers or opened their own guilds. Therefore anyone teaching was a fencing master, and not necessarily a master fencer.

By that definition of the word master, anyone that teaches fencing today and is recognized by his or her peers as being a qualified instructor (as opposed to someone like me who is studying under someone and passing along the teachings because of geographic limitations) is a fencing master. Again, not(necessarily) a master of fencing.

If we are going to recreate a lost art, and use as much of its language and conventions as possible, should we exclude one particular word because we don't want to be seen as arrogant? Would that not be coloring the tradition with our modern prejudices?

This was my understanding as well, and I think we would do well to differentiate in some way between a fencing master and a master of fencing. There is one simple problem with that - there is no centralisation or organisation to govern this. And at this point in the development of the art, I find that a good thing. That being said, perhaps in some future we would do well to separate the two by some kind of naming convention. How this would be accomplished is beyond me, but it would clear up some misunderstandings, at the very least.

Cheers,
Jason

Les Maîtres d'Armes
Member of the
Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

... above all, you should feel in your conscience that your quarrel is good and just. - Le Jeu de la Hache
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason G. Smith wrote:
...I think we would do well to differentiate in some way between a fencing master and a master of fencing.

Is there really a differentiation? Only to the educated. To the uneducated (who else becomes new students?) there is no differentiation. Why take the chance on such confusion?

Jason G. Smith wrote:
That being said, perhaps in some future we would do well to separate the two by some kind of naming convention.

Easy to do. In ARMA we have a naming convention that has alsolutely no confusion. We use the word "Master" only in relationship to those men in the past (they are all dead now) who actually were masters of these arts. For all living people involved in the reconstruction of these arts we use the terms: student, scholar, teacher, instructor, director, etc. No confusion what so ever!

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:
Jason G. Smith wrote:
...I think we would do well to differentiate in some way between a fencing master and a master of fencing.

Is there really a differentiation? Only to the educated. To the uneducated (who else becomes new students?) there is no differentiation. Why take the chance on such confusion?

Anyhow there will be confusion, especially to the uneducated, as long as there will not be any central authority, federation or whatnot, that controls what everybody calls himself. And even then... Eastern arts, that are far more structured, have their fair share of misleading mastery claims.

Randall Pleasant wrote:
Jason G. Smith wrote:
That being said, perhaps in some future we would do well to separate the two by some kind of naming convention.

Easy to do. In ARMA we have a naming convention that has alsolutely no confusion. We use the word "Master" only in relationship to those men in the past (they are all dead now) who actually were masters of these arts. For all living people involved in the reconstruction of these arts we use the terms: student, scholar, teacher, instructor, director, etc. No confusion what so ever!

Except that it does not really settle anything because it's just a name change. If you say that the only masters are dead people of the past, newcomers will seek instructors or directors or whatever name you wish, and we will be debating who has a right to be called that.

The truth is that many newcomers do not seek knowledge, efficiency, or historicity per se, they wish to have a leader to follow. They want to feel like they are part of a tradition, maintaining whatever rule or knowledge that the tenants of the tradition say is right. This is readily apparent in many eastern schools, and I have witnessed this behavior myself in the meager experience I have in kenjutsu. These people just want to believe... They will certainly not challenge what the authorities say, nor listen to what someone says outside of the school.

So you will tell these people, "but what you are doing would not work in free sparring, much less in real life", and they will ignore you because they are not interested in that. Or at best they will answer "that's because I'm just a student and I'm not doing it right".

These people will maybe follow masters that have little experience, that are doing it all wrong (but of course that would be hard to judge because no one knows for sure what's right). If they enjoy that, and their practice is not downright dangerous, I see no real problem. It's not like longsword or rapier fencing are specially reputed for actual dangerous fights nowadays. I'd be more inclined to call fraud on dubious self-defence instructors that might give people a false sense of security. We should keep in mind that "masters doing it all wrong" really cause little harm here.

Of course all that could be avoided by educating the general public and teaching it how to recognize false masters. This won't happen, because once you know how to do that you are really not that far from mastery yourself Wink

What poisons these discussions are politics. Because the process of designation as a master, as was said several times already, relies on a central authority enforcing a standard qualification. And of course many would like a central authority that matches closely their standards. Like Jason, I do not think having a central body at this point of the research makes any sense. In fact I believe it's that lack of centralization that attracted me to WMA in the first place. I definitely wish it remains this way.

In the end each organization will have its own way to name "the living person that knows everything we were taught". If some want to call them masters, I won't object. It certainly makes sense in the historical context. What makes a master is indeed what he teaches; call me optimistic, but I believe that those teaching or demonstrating good things will be rewarded for that, without any need to "copyright" the word master...

Regards

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Brian Hook

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First I would like to put my two cents in on the idea that every medieval fencing master whom in the modern mind is akin to some unstoppable killing machine, It just didn’t happen. People seem to romanticize about the idea that in medieval Europe, that there was a swordfight around every corner, this just isn’t the case. Medieval society and laws are pretty similar to those today. It isn’t like ancient Japan where if another bumped into your scabbard you’d challenge him to a duel to the death (which also rarely happened), if you did so punishment for the both of you would be serve if not fatal. (and the case more likely is that said incident would never have happened because many places outlawed wearing swords about the in open). Even wars which where more common then, where like Hugh said still infrequent enough to create these master warriors modern WMA students create in their minds. It would like saying there are no masters at combat in modern age warfare because no solider is out there fighting 40 guys solo armed with a machine gun and knife, or only served in one war during his life time. Think of masters of firearms and only a child would think of Rambo like character, while the rest of use would think Navy Seal (or equivalent). A Police officer may need never to kill or even shoot his/her firearm in earnest and still be a master in firearms.
Like Michael stated medieval fencing guilds existed to create other fencing teachers, who of which trained nobles for combat at war, tournament, or Judicial duels where we see in the works of Paulus Kal and Talhoffer the masters themselves at ring side acting as a coach as you will, their jobs not as combatants but as trainers, being a noble you where much more likely to have to fight a judicial duel or in tournament then as a fencing teacher, remember there is no evidence at all that those we hold as ancient masters of the art (Liechtenauer, Ringneck, Talhoffer, Paulus Kal and so forth) were master fighters or that they ever even had to fight at all!
There is two types of Master in my opinion when we think of Historical marital arts, The Master Fighter which the amazing fighter whom could fight almost anyone and win (Which we will never have today because we no longer practice judicial duels with fatal consequence and the like, and also may have never existed in history to being with.) Or a Fight master who is a master teacher, whom like Ringneck and Talhoffer have an such a great understanding of the art it allows them to successfully teach it to others, this does not mean that they are in anyway shape or form the end all of warriors themselves, but it means they have a special insight which allows them to train others in the martial ways, if you look at modern sports such as bodybuilding or boxing, you can see many successful trainers whom have no muscle or a chance at hell in a fight! Yet they are some if not the best trainers in the world. This is what I would believe a modern master of arms is today, and I feel that there is no reason besides pigheadedness or hero worship that they shouldn’t be labeled as such.

Last edited by Brian Hook on Tue 24 Jul, 2007 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian;

I agree with what you just said above and I would add that in every field the best teachers ( masters at giving knowledge ) are not always the best practitioners: A great piano teacher or dance teacher may not have the innate talent to be the best himself but has the eye or ear as well as the theoretical knowledge to help those who have the greatest potential to get as good as possible.

A great teacher will have mastery of the technique at least at the level of understanding how things work but might not be physically able to perform at the highest possible level.

Oh, personally I just started learning WMA longsword and I'm not looking for a GURU or " master " as someone to follow like a new cult member.

I consider very much my teacher as a " master/teacher " in the sense that he knows a lot more than I do and is at least capable of teaching the basics. How he would measure up to the best current teachers or the period teachers I don't know and don't care at the moment as long as he isn't teaching faulty technique.

I personally like the totally non competitive approach where the point is to learn and not win titles or belts or trophies etc ...
I'm doing it for the fun of it and to get some minimal insight about how Medieval swordsmanship really worked.

Now, a more ambitious approach studying and working very hard to become very very good at it is perfectly fine also and maybe I will get to that point eventually, but not a problem to me if I just continue learning for fun.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Commentary from Fiore on the subject:

"And most of all I was wary of other fencing Masters and of their students. And they, the Masters, out of envy demanded me to fight with cut and thrust swords in zuparello darmare, without any other armour except for a pair of suede (chamois) gloves; and all this had happened because I did not want to practice with them and teach them anything of my art. And this fact happened five times. And five times, for my honour, I have had to fight in unfamiliar places without relatives and without friends, not trusting anyone but God and my art and myself, Fiore, and my sword. And by the grace of God, I, Fiore, kept my honour and I did not injure myself."

"Also I, the aforementioned Fiore, say that these noble knights and squires, to whom I showed this art of combat, have been satisfied of my teachings, not wanting any other master but me. Also I say that none of my students, especially those mentioned above, have ever had a book about the art of combat, except for Messer Galeazzo da Mantova. Because he said that without books no one can be a good master or a good student in this art. And I, Fiore, confirm it to be true, because this art is so vast that there is no one in the world who has such a big memory to keep in mind the fourth section of this art without books. Though not knowing the fourth section of this art I would not be a Master any more. So that I, Fiore, being able to read and write and draw, and having books about this art and having studied it for 40 years and more, yet I am not a perfectly good master in this art, although I am considered a good and perfect master in the art I mentioned above, by great noblemen who have been my students. And if I say that if I had studied for 40 years law and politics and medicine as I studied the art of combat, I would have been doctor in those three subjects. And in this science of combat I had big difficulties and effort and consequences, to be just a good student. I, the aforementioned Fiore, considering that of this art there are few Masters in the world, and wanting be remembered in it, I will write a book about the whole art and about all the things I know, of steel and of tempere and of other things..."

I take solace that the fighters themselves did not all agree on what it meant to be a "master." Fiore says that despite his long study which in other proffessions would make him a master, in this art he still struggles to be a good student.

Also, an observation about the apprentice/journyman/master system. This system seems to be dependant on a guild in place to employ, set standards, train, evaluate, etc. In historic fencing, such guilds do not seem to crop up until perhaps the late 15 century(?) and there were still many fighters and teachers who probably didn't belong to any guild. So it seems that many of the teachers were fairly independant and could claim to be a "master" without real credentials. Fiore's credentials were in question on five occasions from other masters and he was forced to fight to defend himself. Yet he was considered a master by those he trained.

Perhaps others could chime in with more information on the life of Fiore and how much combat he experienced outside of judicial duals and fighting in the barriers...

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg,

Thank you for that post! I've never read Fiore, but I'm starting to think I should. Being able to get inside his head and life experiences through his writing is priceless.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think there is a gross misrepresentation of the position being applied to those who dislike the appellation of "master" for modern historic European martial artists. No one has claimed that historical masters have scores of lethal encounters under their belt. No one. Such a claim is nothing more than a straw man argument designed to ridicule another poster while deliberately distorting their positions. I also doubt that anyone is under any illusions that many knights were "lucky" to see more than a few battles in their lifetime. Nor is anyone under the illusion that masters were individuals of superhuman capacity. The suggestion that we might be under this illusion is silly, nonsensical and absurd.

The fact of the matter remains that the late medieval and renaissance masters were recognized authorities on martial arts. They possessed knowledge and skill in their art that significantly exceeded other individuals in their art. And, moreover, as Jeff has correctly pointed out, some of them used their skills, or taught others their skills, which were used in earnest. We know that Fiore had to fight for his life, for example. Nor can it be denied that Hans Talhoffer proved his skill in ernst fechten when he served as personal trainer to Leutold von Koenigsegg for Leutold's judicial duel. Talhoffer may not have had to use his skills himself, but he certainly had to teach someone techniques that could be used in a life and death encounter.

So for modern people who are reconstructing these arts to have the name "master" in any way, shape or form associated with them or their organization is to do a great disservice to the men who actually were recognized masters in the period, and whose skills could be used, if need be, in life and death encounters.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Knight wrote:

Moreover, your claim that everyone today is studying Schulfechten indicates a serious misunderstanding of the differences between Ernstfechten and Schulfechten. The difference lies not in the intent of the practitioner but in the nature of the system itself. The absence of thrusts in Schulfechten just as in the absence of Forbidden Wrestlings in grappling are the kinds of things one looks for to see the true symbols of sportive forms. Really, Craig, I thought you'd understand that. Most people who studied Ernstfechten in period *never* had a serious fight. Never. We're no different today.

"Schulfechten" was a mistake on my part as far as characterizing modern study. However, at least historically, ernst fechten was put into use and tested. It's pretty hard for us to really say that we're practicing ernst fechten when we've never had to deal with the ernst part for real.
Michael Eging

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want to touch on the history a bit because of the assumptions being made about the period. Clearly, there were laws intended to keep people safe. But interpretation, enforcement, and safety were not the same as today. And a "bravo" passing through was not going to be hunted down in the same way, DNA matched, charged, etc. Just so different. Martial skills likely were important in a much different way than we are used to. Laws were on the books in early America, but early settlers carried weapons as well for those lawless contigencies.

However, if we state that wars were not frequent enough to create masters, or that swordsmanship outside of fencing schools was not used often enough in combat then we are missing the scope of conflict in Europe at the time. Warfare was not always massive amounts of armies which mobilized whole nations. But during the period we are interested in (1300 to 1700), there was the Hundred Years War, which brought a fair bit of instability (note I did not say, however constant warfare) to a significant portion of France. Italy was a hot bed of warfare between the small principalities and city states, etc. The Holy Roman Emperor dueled with the French in Northern Italy as well as anyone else trying to keep the Empire out. The Oster-portions of the Empire were locked in warfare with peoples farther East. I was just skimming some of my history books for conflict (not just wars) and Europe was a pretty turbulent place in pockets and larger encounters. Wars of the 1500s and 1600s were brutal as well and embroiled significant portions of Germany, the Netherlands, etc. Border encounters in Northern England were dangerous affairs. Europe had lots of smaller deadly affairs going on at the time, in addition to the larger ones.

These skills were not just taught to gentlemen for the sake of sport, but for the sake of survival in conflict (whether great or small). Were there sport elements? Undoubtly, during the down time, or even to hone the skills in bouts during times of war. But as noted before by others, bouting with sharps makes for a different level of free play than any of us have encountered before. These skills had real world application that none of us can duplicate. Now did the masters have these same combat honed skills? Not documented in every instance (though Craig has noted some significant experience), I grant you that. But marital schools, as many likely were, probably included many with combat experience or those who expected combat experience of some sort. Did some of these skills find their way to back alley fights? You bet. Cities at the time were not safe places and offenses did happen in Europe during this period that ended with weapons of some sort. While not on every street corner, urban life at the time was not an entirely safe environment. Countrysides post-battles had idle armies, men-for-hire moving to new pay masters (as documented in Italy and Germany), etc.

I think it is easy to get into generalities that we try to squeeze into Cinderella's shoe that are sometimes not quite accurate. I am sure much of what we study was tested in conflict in some fashion. Passed along during times of peace and used during times of war (or other bodily conflict).

When I look at the master title, versus the teacher title, I look at the context. Clearly we do not understand the documents at the level of medieval or renaissance masters. Nor do we have experience with judicial combat, bouts with sharps, use of techniques in a back alley or on a battlefield. I think we can teach our interpretation of the documents, but very hard to claim "mastery," which most seem to agree in this thread. The issue is that master does not mean teacher to everyone, as illustrated in an earlier post of the potential student looking for a "master." Maybe it is all in the branding and the transparency used.

Anyway, my long winded musings. Cool

M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/
Ben M.

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So I've been lurking on these forums for a bit now, but this thought just forced me to finally register to express it.

How can anyone, in our time, claim mastery over something when groups still have different interpretations of how something should be performed? I'm assuming it's fairly safe to say that most, if not every, group and individual involved in this is going to eventually change how they perform something. To claim mastery over a subject that isn't totally fleshed out just seems odd to me.

It's not an issue of evolving ideas, either. Someone might be referred to as a master of something of our time and will have to change how they perform something due to a new invention or more efficient means of operation. However, in direct contrast to that, we're still trying to figure out 100% of what the base material is saying.

I understand that that there were different ways to go about something between source authors, but people don't even always agree on what one author is trying to say.

If I am just totally off base, someone let me know. I try to avoid all of this and am simply curious.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Definition of a master
Page 2 of 8 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: