Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help -- Info needed on the rapier Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rapiers         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:

Craig,

It's not exactly clear to me what other criterion exactly you're looking for, or why you feel the criteria provided by John is insufficient. The article makes mention of differences of blade shape and cross section in the two groups of rapiers, …

Well I guess I had hoped you and/or John had defined your true rapier in some physical attributes and time frame. There have been purely thrusting swords at almost every historical step of the swords development. If a pure thrust, as the main component of attack is the only definition in what you are typologizing then maybe a different terminology than “true rapier” is in order, a “true thruster” for example.

Craig Peters wrote:

…much the way one would when talking about say an XIIIa sword versus a XVII, for which we already have a functioning typology. It seems to me that you are suggesting that from a nomenclature point of view, we should go with the less restrictive definition of our ancestors. That's fine, but as I mentioned above, it does raise problems from the use perspective.

I guess I would humbly suggest that the historical perspective is the key to understanding these items as they were understood in period. To start a classification of these pieces should be based on research and a structure based on the historical examples and the current knowledge of the use of these pieces. This was key to Ewart’s development of his typology, which strives to encompass a great deal of the totality of the piece not just the blade classification. John’s article and your commentary seem to dismiss any blade you feel can only be used to thrust and slice with, that somehow the cut is preeminent in the group of wounders. The fact that you may not consider it possible to cut with some of these blades does not mean others are not able to do so as well. The use of the rapier blade in an historical way has advanced well over the last few decades and when a practioner with skill uses a blade the replicates the historical well I have seen some very dramatic examples of the cut with these blades. Our friend Bob’s example as stated above as an example.

Craig Peters wrote:

To my knowledge, we really don't have anything else analagous to the situation of the rapier with historical blade types. It's the only weapon I know of that evolved such that some of its forms were almost incapable of making a cut (and certainly not a serious, debilitating wound) while others still could. In other words, it's the only sword type where at least one of its forms is effectively incapable of making one of the three, basic attack forms, namely the cut, thrust, and slice. That's why we make a distinction between the two groups, because they're not identical, and it's a significant distinction that should be made.

While any tool taken to an extreme in the design envelope will have distinctions from its more well rounded cousins, I fear you may be missing an important point that it is still part of the family. As I stated earlier one can find examples of purely thrusting swords, or purely cutting swords as well, in almost any period of the swords development so your supposition above that

Craig Peters wrote:

“we really don't have anything else analagous to the situation of the rapier with historical blade types”

I fear this leaves you with a large gap in your logic to segregate a style of item that you personally feel is less than a sword but obviously was held as an equal by many who fought and died by them in period.

I appreciate your continued discussion Craig and I hope you realize I do not mean to appear to pick on you. You have stated some distinct and broad statements as fact. I would say they may not be supported by the historical and researched information, thus my queries about your definitions and facts.

Best Regards
Craig J
Richard C G

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters;

Forgive my ignorance and bluntness.

Can you reply with a statement "A True Rapier is a rapier which............"? That would be a definition.

So far you have responded to the question, but not answered it.

I remain in eager anticipation of a definitive answer.
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rapier is not a weapon type I really like, but I have been involved in cutting and handling tests with some modern repros.....

About five years ago, Tom Leoni brought an antique to a place known as Livermore, the 2nd WMA event named that {for the place held}........I got the opportunity to not only handle the weapon, but to measure it......

The dynamic balance of the weapon favors the thrust, however, the edge was sharp.

I made a blade from the specs taken from Tom's rapier, and mounted it. Tinker had a rapier he had made from specs of another antique.........

We tested these with some local WMA folks, and a couple local enthusiasts. Targets were 2L pop bottles, 1/4 inch plywood, and 1/2 tatami mats........

Results in the plywood, best cuts going 4 inches deep, suggest a skull cracking capability, probably fight ending deep. Best cuts on tatami mats were clean cuts thru..... probably means taking a wrist off is a possibility.

Results though, varied around the clock depending on who the cutter was. Sometimes tatami was just bent over, no cut. 2L bottles sent across the parking lot. And plywood merely scratched...........

My own opinion is that I wouldn't discount the ability of a rapier , even one mainly designed around the thrust, to make a fight stopping cut. I certainly wouldn't want to be the target of an experienced individual trying to deliver a cut with such a weapon.......

Are these the equivalent of more cut specific weapons "in the cut"? Of course not, but in my view, a rapier with an edge is nothing to sneeze at either.......

swords are fun
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gus, I think you've brought up a good point, and one that I can corroborate. In my experience I have found that lighter weight - and generally narrower - blades can still cut very well, but they are less forgiving of poor technique and circumstance than are more robust cutting blades. I have an old dueling sabre with an extremely sharp and light weight blade. If my form is good I can cleanly cut all the way through a tatami mat, but if I'm off a bit it just bounces off. Some of the reproduction rapiers I have are not that extreme, but still fare similarly. In contrast, with a nice wide bladed cutter it's almost hard to fail a cut.
Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
But really Bill, what do these quotes indicate other than the fact that both rapiers designed along the lines of the early style and the later style existed side by side? We can still draw a distinction between the two types.

So, are you saying that if we take two identicle swords, both of which work fine for the majority of the techniques in any rapier fencing manual, only one has a better edge, then one is not a "true" rapier and the other is? I gave two examples of two antique rapiers, both of which were very similar, but one was a poor cutter, and the other a very good cutter. I've handled Tom Leoni's rapier that Gus references, and it is could be lifted straight from the pages of Capoferro, and as Gus mentions, it can cut pretty well. Does this mean it isn't a "true" rapier?

Similarly, we can take two random Oakshott Type XVa swords, and one might be a great thruster and poor cutter, and the other may be the exact opposite.

I'm not trying to say we can't make a distinction between different styles of swords. Rather, I'm agreeing with Craig Johnson's general comments about making sure we base our modern ideas on historical research, and not modern generalizations.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Craig Peters wrote:
But really Bill, what do these quotes indicate other than the fact that both rapiers designed along the lines of the early style and the later style existed side by side? We can still draw a distinction between the two types.

So, are you saying that if we take two identicle swords, both of which work fine for the majority of the techniques in any rapier fencing manual, only one has a better edge, then one is not a "true" rapier and the other is? I gave two examples of two antique rapiers, both of which were very similar, but one was a poor cutter, and the other a very good cutter. I've handled Tom Leoni's rapier that Gus references, and it is could be lifted straight from the pages of Capoferro, and as Gus mentions, it can cut pretty well. Does this mean it isn't a "true" rapier?

What is its cross section like? Is it the flatter type, diamond or triangular? Or is it one of the thicker ones with a hexagonal cross section, or star shaped, or octagonal?

Quote:
Similarly, we can take two random Oakshott Type XVa swords, and one might be a great thruster and poor cutter, and the other may be the exact opposite.

But both XVa swords can cut and thrust effectively. Even a dedicated Type XVII is capable of causing deadly and incapacitating sword cuts, and likewise it can cause lethal punctures. The same cannot be said of the later style of rapiers. We've got test cutting videos with an antique example of the later type of rapier, which is nearly useless when used to cut and slice against raw meat. http://www.thearma.org/NTCvids/sliceswithantiquerapier1.mpg

Here's a second, also with an antique rapier with a star cross section: http://www.thearma.org/Videos/NTCvids/slicewi...pthilt.WMV

Quote:
I'm not trying to say we can't make a distinction between different styles of swords. Rather, I'm agreeing with Craig Johnson's general comments about making sure we base our modern ideas on historical research, and not modern generalizations.

Well, does the historical research indicate that the later type of rapier blades I mentioned can cut effectively? We've got two videos of antique rapiers of the later sort that I specified which indicate that they are very poor at cutting, which is exactly what I've been saying all along.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard C G wrote:
Craig Peters;

Forgive my ignorance and bluntness.

Can you reply with a statement "A True Rapier is a rapier which............"? That would be a definition.

So far you have responded to the question, but not answered it.

I remain in eager anticipation of a definitive answer.

No need for Socratic humility in the last line... ;-)

A true rapier is one with the aforementioned types of cross sections, either octagonal, star-shaped, or hexagonal.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I might also add that the myArmoury.com article "Forms of European Edged Weaponry" itself states:

If compared with the arming sword, the rapier was a much lighter weapon with a straight double-edged and pointed blade, which, with the development of the art of fencing in the 16th and 17th centuries, finally became narrower and lighter, and thus suitable for thrusts only... In English and French, [the term rapier] has retained its classical connotation of a light thrusting sword used in the 16th and 17th centuries [Emphasis mine].

http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_euroedge.html
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig;

How about TYPE 1 rapiers: Capable of thrust and cuts at various degrees.

TYPE 2 rapiers: Extremely blunt edged capable of only thrusts and zero to none cutting and generally of later period.

A real typology like Oakeshott's might have many many more types from 1 to 25 for example. The above examples is just for clarity and as an oversimplification.

With your definition only TYPE 2 are " real " rapiers ! Well, you have a perfect right to want to classify rapiers like this: It a valid system of classification, at least descriptive in a modern sense.

Other views have been expresses rebutting this definition with historic and swordshandling arguments and restating your definition doesn't actually address the objections to the universal acceptance of this very narrow definition of what a rapier is in my opinion.

What specifically makes the historical and swordsmanship rebuttals made by Bill or Craig Johnson erroneous ? A convincing argument for me would be one taking directly addressing these points i.e. all these early TYPE 1 rapiers that were called rapiers in period are not rapiers: BECAUSE ............... fill in the blanks ! I'm completely open to be convinced.

Excluding all the TYPE 1 " rapiers " doesn't really simplify the problem of defining what a rapier is just by arbitrarily deciding that only the TYPE 2 qualify.

At this point if my comments don't convince, or lead to less going around in circles, I will just agree to disagree and stop or very much limit any future comments on this topic.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
What is its cross section like? Is it the flatter type, diamond or triangular? Or is it one of the thicker ones with a hexagonal cross section, or star shaped, or octagonal?

From what I call, the sharper one was a diamond cross section, the less sharp one was a flattened diamond cross section. The latter was a little thicker at the spine, the former a little thinner.

Quote:
But both XVa swords can cut and thrust effectively.

How do you know? They were hypothetical. Happy Seriously, though, there are a number of XVa swords that don't cut well, and a number that do.

Quote:
The same cannot be said of the later style of rapiers.

You keep saying later style rapiers. What later style rapiers? Some are terrible cutters. Some are not.

Quote:
Well, does the historical research indicate that the later type of rapier blades I mentioned can cut effectively? We've got two videos of antique rapiers of the later sort that I specified which indicate that they are very poor at cutting, which is exactly what I've been saying all along.

And I've never disagreed that, yes, some rapiers are terrible at cutting. I'm not a big fan of those videos, but they do show two examples of rapiers that don't cut well. But what about the rapiers that can cut? The later ones, I mean. Some of these "cutting" rapiers lasted well into the 18th century. And most are rather long. I suspect some lasted into the 19th, but I haven't seen the hard evidence for that yet, so I can't say for certain.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

From what I call, the sharper one was a diamond cross section, the less sharp one was a flattened diamond cross section. The latter was a little thicker at the spine, the former a little thinner.

So in other words, it fits into the category that John describes as being the earlier form of rapier to develop.

Quote:
But both XVa swords can cut and thrust effectively.

How do you know? They were hypothetical. Happy Seriously, though, there are a number of XVa swords that don't cut well, and a number that do.

Hypothetical or real, I am aware of no antique Type XVa swords that are incapable of causing some sort of significant cutting damage. Even the XVas that are like the Talhoffer, Fiore and Ringeck, save with a thinner blade with a wickedly acute point still have the capacity to cause serious injuries with cutting. The same cannot be said of all rapiers.

Quote:
The same cannot be said of the later style of rapiers.

You keep saying later style rapiers. What later style rapiers? Some are terrible cutters. Some are not.

I keep saying "later style" because they were, chronologically speaking, a later development. I did make it clear in one of my earlier posts that the earlier style of rapier would have continued to be seen along side the later sort. I'm not sure why this is unclear.

Quote:

And I've never disagreed that, yes, some rapiers are terrible at cutting. I'm not a big fan of those videos, but they do show two examples of rapiers that don't cut well. But what about the rapiers that can cut? The later ones, I mean. Some of these "cutting" rapiers lasted well into the 18th century. And most are rather long. I suspect some lasted into the 19th, but I haven't seen the hard evidence for that yet, so I can't say for certain.

See above.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Hello Craig         Reply with quote

Hi Craig

I noticed you have not responded to my additional queries at the top of the second page of responses. This would help cover a lot of ground if you were able to do so.

As to your Videos, the first does not come up for me it says the server does not have that info. The second does show John trying to cut some ?pig? the audio is difficult to make out. The cuts do not seem very effective both in the edge that remains on the blade and John's mechanics. I understand John is a very efficient swords man but I fear all the video proves is with that rapier John was unable to cut that target with that technique. I am not trying to belittle his performance but the use of video to disprove is very limited. The number of factors involved is large and I fear very conditional to the specifics of any given situation.

I personally feel that if there is a decent edge on an item and the hand on the hilt has practice and skill those will be the major factors in the effectiveness of a cut.

Your concern that a rapier would not be able to impose a serious wound does not seem to stand up to historical commentary and modern investigation. The period swordsmen of their day where not fools. If something did not work well enough to protect themselves they would have changed. One can not over estimate the influence of fashion and economics on the process but it all comes back to these are skills for killing in deadly combat one did not choose an inferior system and have it survive for a great length of time. To loose that perspective will leave one very short in your understanding of the sword and its use.

Best Regards
Craig
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It’s becoming clear to me that there is no such thing as a True Rapier. It is like asking, what is the True Medieval Sword? (a type XII? I don’t think so)

What do rapiers have in common?

They are single hand swords.

They are used for both offense and defence.

They have some kind of hand protection on the hilt besides a cross guard. They all(?) have at least some arms of the hilt or pas d’anes, even if they are hiding inside a cup or complex of bars.

They were in use from the late 15th century to the early 19th. (not sure about the end date)

Must the blades be double-edged, or can a backsword be a rapier?

Otherwise, the blades can vary greatly in length, width, cross-section, ricassos, cutting and thrusting ability, etc.

A rapier typology could be developed that could rival Oakeshott’s in complexity. I'm not sure if should be based just on blades, or whether hilts should be put into the mix. Among all those types, there would be no “True Rapier”.

Craig Johnson, have you ever thought of attempting to create such a typology? It would be a huge task, but I think you could be the man for the job.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Must the blades be double-edged, or can a backsword be a rapier?

Otherwise, the blades can vary greatly in length, width, cross-section, ricassos, cutting and thrusting ability, etc.

Well, we can say that a schiavona or a backsword isn't a rapier in looks at least and the blade types are going to be of the
" cut and thrust " types much more than any thrust only kind ?

Any known schiavona or backswords with blades that are very close or identical to some rapier blades and are distinguished only by the styles of their guards ? This leading to the question: How much of rapier swordsmanship could be used with a schiavona or how much would the swordhandling of rapiers have influenced the swordhandling of backswords and vice versa ?

I would imagine that in war the two would meet and have to deal with each other and the techniques of one would in some cases be applied to the other or at least have specific counters for each others styles of use.

(Any common ground between fighting with a rapier and fighting with a backsword or any of the other non-rapier swords?)

Doesn't help with a " simple " definition of what a " true " rapier would be but it does make the point that when many types of swords are in use, in the same place or time period, no fighting style can be succesful if it can't deal with all possible other swords and styles.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

Craig Johnson, have you ever thought of attempting to create such a typology? It would be a huge task, but I think you could be the man for the job.

While a fun idea Happy Roger, I would not consider myself qualified to do such a thing. I have more questions than answers most days and every time I find an answer it raises multiple questions Happy as Gus says, "swords are fun".

Norman has classified a good number of the hilt forms but there are still others that are distinct variants and some he has not included. The blades are a huge project to under takes as the variation and dynamics are so varied.

In my early days I figured I would write a history of the rapier. I got well into it then realized I was really only scratching the surface and started over, it did not take me long to realize I needed to just study and learn for a while before working on even small projects dealing with this great topic of “what is a sword” Happy
Best
Craig
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello Craig         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Hi Craig

I noticed you have not responded to my additional queries at the top of the second page of responses. This would help cover a lot of ground if you were able to do so.

Sorry, which queries are you referring to? In my browswer, this is your first post on the second page, and your last post on the first page doesn't seem to have any questions.

Quote:
As to your Videos, the first does not come up for me it says the server does not have that info. The second does show John trying to cut some ?pig? the audio is difficult to make out. The cuts do not seem very effective both in the edge that remains on the blade and John's mechanics. I understand John is a very efficient swords man but I fear all the video proves is with that rapier John was unable to cut that target with that technique. I am not trying to belittle his performance but the use of video to disprove is very limited. The number of factors involved is large and I fear very conditional to the specifics of any given situation.

What did you feel was lacking with the sword cuts?

Quote:
I personally feel that if there is a decent edge on an item and the hand on the hilt has practice and skill those will be the major factors in the effectiveness of a cut.

I wouldn't disagree. However, I would not agree that all rapiers, if they had their edges sharpened, could produce cuts that cause any serious damage, as I've said before. Lacerations, yes. Distracting slices which allow for a follow-up attack, yes. Debilitating or otherwise life threatening? The evidence doesn't seem to support it thus far.

Quote:
Your concern that a rapier would not be able to impose a serious wound does not seem to stand up to historical commentary and modern investigation. The period swordsmen of their day where not fools. If something did not work well enough to protect themselves they would have changed. One can not over estimate the influence of fashion and economics on the process but it all comes back to these are skills for killing in deadly combat one did not choose an inferior system and have it survive for a great length of time. To loose that perspective will leave one very short in your understanding of the sword and its use.

Well it depends. If we're talking about the earlier types of blades, then yes, they do seem to be able to cause serious wounds. But there's also plenty of historical evidence that rapiers do not cut well, which supports my assertion that later rapiers cannot cut effectively, with the aforementioned understanding that they can produce lacerations and cause distractions. One need look no further than George Silver's Paradoxes of Defence to see that this is the case.

George Silver wrote:
For the single rapier, or rapier & poniard, they are imperfect & insufficient weapons, and especially in service of the prince. When men shall join together, what service can soldier do with a rapier, a childish toy where with a man can do nothing but thrust, nor that neither, by reason of the length, and in every moving when blows, are dealing, for lack of a hilt is in danger to have his hand or arm cut off, or his head cloven. And for wards and grips, they have none, neither can any of these fine rapier men, for lack of use, tell how to strike a sound blow.

http://www.thearma.org/Manuals/GSilver.htm (Section 22).

This is but one example of the theme. The very fact that period fencers complained about the rapier's lack of ability to cut effectively clearly illustrates that some rapiers, those I refer to as the "later" sort, were not well suited to the task.
Justin King
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that the issue is confused due partly to modern authors often calling any sword with a complex rapier-type guard a rapier. I think of the fully developed rapier (more or less lacking cutting ability) as strictly a duelling weapon, whereas there were many examples of swords during the same period which have similar guards but feature blades which could have been useable in military context, and are capable of cutting to a greater degree. Whether or not one considers these to be rapiers, varies from person to person....I begin to wonder if 17th century swordsmen had the same discussion, and if they ever managed to agree. Their terminology was probably much different from ours in different regions and time periods and in some cases probably stiil is today, so perhaps it is best not to get too hung up with the words themselves and try to understand the intent behind them-I understood what Craig Peters meant when he said "true rapier", although I think the term draws too sharp a line, never a good idea when comparing swords, IMO.
As the period of the "rapier" progressed it was more and more exclusively worn/used by civilians who used it for duelling. In this context the intent may not even be to kill necessarily, many duels were fought to first blood or until one opponent was sufficiently wounded to cede victory. In this type of use a very narrow blade, capable of inflicting minor cuts and slices, but not designed for heavy cutting, may be perfectly acceptable and even considered to be a more gentlemanly weapon as it allows some sporting swordplay with the thrust always availible if the fight should become mortal. It has already been mentioned that in the hands of a skilled user the cut should not be discounted entirely, a well-placed tip slice could easily sever the jugular and windpipe even with one of the narrower, less "edged" types...so much for lacking fatal cutting ability unless one wears a gorget during their affairs of honor.
At the same time swords featuring similar guards but wider blades more oriented to the cut, were in use and some were likely intended as battlefield weapons. Where to draw the line and call a sword a rapier is subjective IMO, to define the term further is perhaps beyond it's original intent. Other languages have different levels of definition concerning swords so perhaps rapiers can be better defind in Spanish or Italian?
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello Craig         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Sorry, which queries are you referring to? In my browswer, this is your first post on the second page, and your last post on the first page doesn't seem to have any questions.

Evenin Craig

My Post dated Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:41 pm. Is the one I was referring to. The clearest way to state the question I have is, once again, what do you define a "True Rapier" as?

You have given early/late comparisons that have been general and we all agree not clearly defining, as there are examples from all eras of the rapiers use. The blade geometry and configuration are obvious if one has documented them but just to say ‘blades like the ones I mean’ does little to create a definition.

I do not feel there was anything lacking in John’s cuts in the second video. His body and footwork form was consistent with other videos and times I have seen him fight. The action on the initial cut was possibly a bit modest in a desire to show a test cut against a material, but in a way that is immaterial as it was his chosen methodology for the test. I have seen many others with similar swords do very impressive cuts. The lack of an edge is obvious as he demonstrates with his swipe on the hand, but if one is aware of the edge one has on a blade would not one alter there technique to get the maximum advantage out of the impact? It seemed to me a more effective cut could have been made with the sword in his hand against that target on the initial blow but it demonstrated his form, with that sword, on that target.

The human target is soft and one can do a good deal of damage to it with a blunt bar let alone a sword even with a dullish edge. I have done much damage to myself over the years with foolish play and shop accidents. I have seen learned users of the sword do impressive things with a rapier blade very similar to the piece John used. So while I find the video interesting I do not find it conclusive as I stated above. This may come down to what you define as a debilitating wound. The definition of such being something that may take another thread to answer, as I fear some of the same issues of what constitutes debilitating will be subjective and defined differently by each individual.

I fear where we differ is I do not try to categorize a subset of rapiers into “true” or not true as it seems to me to do so is to make a distinction that does not bear the weight of the historical record and common experience. The honorable George Silver accepted. Yes there are situations where the rapier is less suitable for combat than others, battlefield melees “in service to the prince” being an obvious one. If the users of said items had thought through such an event or had enough experience in said event they would have realized this error on their part. In fact if you read the manuals and commentary of the period this is a clear distinction they recognize. But they do not define the items by such a distinction. They instead talk of choosing a weapon that is appropriate for the arms and situation. To say one is truer than another is to make a qualitative commentary on the combat methods and weapons that they would recognize as being obvious and neither true or false.

I feel you have singled out a sub category of a weapon and made it somehow a target to get a point across. We do not have any quantitative data to say there where so many purely thrusting rapiers at any given period and you seem to feel this was degradation in the use of the sword. My experience has shown me that the varied use of the sword, cut, slice and thrust where always part of the game and while certain pieces where optimized for specific attacks, I would suggest that they where not as great a proportion of the total as you have in classifying the late rapiers as you have.

Other than the existence of an edge you judge to be worthy of cutting with what blade parameters do you see as specifically designating the categories?

If we can move the discussion into the specifics of what define such items we may be able to get a better handle on what distinctions you are trying to make and we can compare those to the historical and experiential results others have gotten.

Best
Craig J
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin King wrote:
Other languages have different levels of definition concerning swords so perhaps rapiers can be better defind in Spanish or Italian?

Unfortunately not in Italian--the 16th-and 17th-century Italians did not seem to have used the word "rapier" at all. Wink
Justin King
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Justin King wrote:
Other languages have different levels of definition concerning swords so perhaps rapiers can be better defind in Spanish or Italian?

Unfortunately not in Italian--the 16th-and 17th-century Italians did not seem to have used the word "rapier" at all. Wink

That was kind of my point. The term is fairly generic and is applied to a wide variety of blade and hilt types, although ones that admittedly share some common traits, but it leaves a lot open to interpretation. I was thinking that the sword type itself, not the term "rapier", might be better defined in the languages more local to where it first came into popular use.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help -- Info needed on the rapier
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: